Should You Draft WR or RB in the First Round?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The issue for me is moreso sources and cost of talent. QB, LT, CB and pass rushers typically cost a fuck ton in free agency. So if you can acquire them in the draft, it allows you save at a key position. They also impact the game tremendously.

Other positions may have a couple of guys that cost a lot but you generally can get good players for cheaper in FA as well as it seems (haven't looked at the stats) in later rounds in the draft more frequently than QB, CB, LT and pass rushers.

So I normally would day away from a RB or WR in the top 15 or so unless they truly were a generational type talent.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I look at it mare as who can do your team the most good over the long haul. If it was about instant production you'd never draft QBs or WRs in one and draft lots of RBs there.

I have to be very convinced about a WR or RB to consider them in 1 but there are always exceptions to almost any rule. Look at Dallas when Elliot was out. Jones and megatron were certainly worth their selections but in general, I need a relatively higher grade at those positions to consider them. Why I would have taken Beasley before White. Not because he had the better grade but because he had a better shot at developing.

You don't take RBs because their floor is generally high and their ceilings don't vary as much as other spots and you don't take WRs because their floors are low and bust factor is high, mostly because they are difficult to scout to the next level. RB are low risk, low reward and WRs are high risk meh reward though as I stated, there are exceptions for both.
Running backs have low reward ?? Lol what ??? Premier rbs don't have low reward backup depth RBs do...Wrs have less reward especially since you can have 1-5 of them on the field at the same time...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Barkley fell into our lap....he won't .......you probably have to draft him

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Barkley fell into our lap....he won't .......you probably have to draft him

You would have to think about it, but in the end I doubt they draft him.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The answer is probably NO.

I think with the type of WRs that Nagy is use to using can be found in the 2nd-4th rounds in most years. Not that they are guaranteed to contribute week 1 of 2018.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I feel like RB is a super high bust rate in the first round as for the recent past. Let me clarify, by bust I mean that they didn't end up being franchise backs that were either good enough or good enough for long enough.

I'm not in the draft a RB in the first round camp though. Its a position who's importance has diminished greatly since the NFL's move to the use of multiple backs. Perhaps back in the day it had more importance when the 2nd string back was nothing more than depth and a guy to throw in there to let the starter breathe on the sideline. Not anymore.

Wide receiver is another story entirely. Its one of the most coveted skill positions because of the added emphasis on the passing game in the recent past. First round receivers aren't busting at an abnormal rate comparatively to other positions. Someone had posted the bust rates for the various positions at some point during this season. I can't be bothered to find them since I am enjoying breakfast as I peruse the forum.

Don't get it twisted though, I am pretty sure the consensus is that there aren't any worthy first round receivers this draft. So while I wouldn't personally shy away from a first round receiver pick in general, I wouldn't want one this go round.

I think it's just a lack of god like talent. Walter Payton in today's NFL would still be a major impact. So it's not that the position isn't worthy, it's the players who aren't worthy.
If that player comes up you have to draft them early, if you don't someone else will.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
Saquan Barkley is that elite talent. Bears should have a Jordan Howard trade in place in case Barkley falls in their lap.

He is like LT as a receiver and would be a better fit in Nagy’s system as well.

Seriously, get a 3rd and maybe a 2nd for Howard and grab Barkley as fast as you can. I actually question if Howard can be the full time back we need I'm this offense with his shit hands. He's a great runner and would be a great addition to most teams, but in a scheme that calls for some much from a RB in the passing game, he's really limited.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Seriously, get a 3rd and maybe a 2nd for Howard and grab Barkley as fast as you can. I actually question if Howard can be the full time back we need I'm this offense with his shit hands. He's a great runner and would be a great addition to most teams, but in a scheme that calls for some much from a RB in the passing game, he's really limited.

This is a legitimate point.

But he is such a good shotgun runner that I would like to see him in the system. It does suck that he cannot catch.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The issue for me is moreso sources and cost of talent. QB, LT, CB and pass rushers typically cost a fuck ton in free agency. So if you can acquire them in the draft, it allows you save at a key position. They also impact the game tremendously.

Maybe not with pass rushers, but those other 3 all usually take a couple years to develop to know what you really have in them. And by that time, they will be about up for the 2nd contract, which at those premium positions, will be HUGE if they are any good at all.

You are going to have to pay to build and keep the core of your team intact. Just have to choose the right players to fork over that $$$ to...

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think it's just a lack of god like talent. Walter Payton in today's NFL would still be a major impact. So it's not that the position isn't worthy, it's the players who aren't worthy.
If that player comes up you have to draft them early, if you don't someone else will.

LOL dude, I am not even kidding when I say that there would still be morons that would be talking shit about Walter Payton's catching ability if he were a 2 year back on the Bears like Jordan Howard is. Why you might ask? Because Walter Payton wasn't even that great of a pass catching back 2 years into his career. He himself said that he had to work on it to become as good as he ended up being at catching the ball.

This is a legitimate point.

But he is such a good shotgun runner that I would like to see him in the system. It does suck that he cannot catch.

*Sigh*

Case in point.

Reactions: Myk

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't Howard GET better at catching? I mean, practice? Or at this point, is he just who he is and he'll never improve much? Maybe he just wasn't asked to catch the ball much in college.

JordanHoward24

Liked Posts:
I find it funny that people are willing to abandon a pro-bowl running back for an unproven rookie because of scheme fit. Which is bullshit because we haven't even seen Howard play in the system.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Of course he could get better if he dedicated himself to becoming better at catching.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I find it funny that people are willing to abandon a pro-bowl running back for an unproven rookie because of scheme fit. Which is bullshit because we haven't even seen Howard play in the system.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

We don't even know exactly what the system is going to be yet!

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Only a moron would draft a RB when we have a good one and so little talent on this team. Just another example of why the Bears have many of the worst fans in the NFL

Toast88

Liked Posts:
If Barkley or a QB falls to you, you could probably trade back and still get your choice of WR or O-Line. Would open up some options. I wouldn’t hate that. At the same time, if Nagy thinks Barkley is a better fit to his pass-heavy West Coast offense, I trust the judgment on that

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think you rebuild from the lines on out. While the Bears OL was decent last year...everything offensively runs smoother with a great OL. If there's a top notch upgrade at any OL spot, you take him. Great WR's get passed down to the 2nd and 3rd round every year and picking a RB early this year would be Emery/Angelo stupid.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Maybe not with pass rushers, but those other 3 all usually take a couple years to develop to know what you really have in them. And by that time, they will be about up for the 2nd contract, which at those premium positions, will be HUGE if they are any good at all.

You are going to have to pay to build and keep the core of your team intact. Just have to choose the right players to fork over that $$$ to...

4 year contracts with a 5th year option. You should know in 2-3 years what you have. Plus if they bust the cost of them busting is cheaper than if you pay a fuck ton of money for a FA that ends up underperforming.

I would say too those positions usually have less talent making it to FA as teams tend to resign or trade for those positions.

So all in all still a better investment.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
LOL dude, I am not even kidding when I say that there would still be morons that would be talking shit about Walter Payton's catching ability if he were a 2 year back on the Bears like Jordan Howard is. Why you might ask? Because Walter Payton wasn't even that great of a pass catching back 2 years into his career. He himself said that he had to work on it to become as good as he ended up being at catching the ball.

Bear fans will complain about anyone.

Catching isn't why I'm not as impressed about Howard as everyone else. My problem is he goes nowhere too often. That could be Oline, it could be play design, but it's there. If it's him he could stand an upgrade.

But I'm not saying he needs to be upgraded. I'm saying if you get a chance at a once in a lifetime talent you grab it no matter who you have.