So im hearing rumors that peanut changed his mind about playing safety? ??..

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want him to move to safety, but not next year. Still.....3.5 million for a starting corner is cheap. Tillman might be thinking he would be more valuable at safety than as an aging corner.

that will change your mind very fast. If he tells the bears, i wanna play safety to command more dollars than an aging corner, and get 6 picks or something, I could see.

I don't see why people keep saying he doesn't have the build for safety. Neither does Eric Berry. Tillman has more forced fumbles than any safety since he came into the league, and well, ever....except for Charles Woodson. Only two guys in the ball park.

He is 6'1" to 6"2", and while long limbed he has a Walter Payton or Bruce Lee sized surprise explosion to his impact. He is very solid. May not look like one, but I choose him in any collision with most of them.

He is basically a ninja playing in the NFL. I think Dwight Freeney and Mathis are the only guys with more forced fumbles in the league since Woodson and tillman came in.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
why are people so obsessed with making Tillman a safety :obama:

No idea. To me, it is only a question of health. Two years ago he was going on and off the field a lot with things. Last year, it was a more major issue. Either he is healthy or not, and if he is, why not play him at corner, where he has played in outstanding fashion, actually I think improving with the years.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
why are people so obsessed with making Tillman a safety :obama:

did you not notice his loss of speed? He is beginning to trail defenders.

Secondly, his instincts are the best I have ever seen. He makes his zone reads in mid stride flawlessly and its one of the most beautiful things I have ever noticed in sports, is Tillman making a recognition and changing direction.

For that reason some of us believe the one number keeping him out of the Hall of Fame, interceptions, would come in bunches at safety where he could read the QB and react.

His forced fumble ability would stay the same or increase, (though his best numbers are impossible to replicate, only the very best in the best year),

it is for both the Bears and for Tillman I have always been curious. However, his ability to remain a viable corner has been excellent and I like him there too. If not more. We'll see how it goes, but I think he should be open to experimenting and maybe start switching on third down.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why do people think playing CB is safer than Safety?

Have tillmans injuries been from Tackling or running fast? He already has to tackle the runner in this defense.

His strengths translate well to Safety, and his weaknesses are minimized.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Why do people think playing CB is safer than Safety?

Have tillmans injuries been from Tackling or running fast? He already has to tackle the runner in this defense.

His strengths translate well to Safety, and his weaknesses are minimized.

Who blocks a CB on a run play vs. blocks a S when he comes down in the box? I'll give you a hint, CBs almost never meet a FB, TE, or a lineman while safeties do occasionally. Also, CBs will more often meet a RB moving laterally down the LoS than straight-on like safeties often do. There is a reason safeties are almost always the stouter out the DBs, and it's because they take a lot more heavy impacts (compare tackling a WR you're manned up on compared to one moving in the opposite direction and tell me which takes more punishment). Why are you comparing him to Berry anyway? If a guy that is two inches shorter and 15 lbs heavier has the same build in your mind, I just don't know what to tell you. Oh, and I won't even get into the fact that Ss have to man up on TEs infinitely more often than CBs...you think Tillman would hold up very long taking on TEs?

DaBears23

Liked Posts:
Kill two birds with one stone..giving Tillman the opportunity to use his instincts and ball skills to rome the field and also help recognize offensive plays to help direct the defense...while also getting Gilbert
Or dennard in the first. Honestly I think its a win-win for DaBears while getting our Defense that much more better & " Versatile" (in my Emery voice)

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
did you not notice his loss of speed? He is beginning to trail defenders.

Secondly, his instincts are the best I have ever seen. He makes his zone reads in mid stride flawlessly and its one of the most beautiful things I have ever noticed in sports, is Tillman making a recognition and changing direction.

For that reason some of us believe the one number keeping him out of the Hall of Fame, interceptions, would come in bunches at safety where he could read the QB and react.

His forced fumble ability would stay the same or increase, (though his best numbers are impossible to replicate, only the very best in the best year),

it is for both the Bears and for Tillman I have always been curious. However, his ability to remain a viable corner has been excellent and I like him there too. If not more. We'll see how it goes, but I think he should be open to experimenting and maybe start switching on third down.

I completely agree with your analysis. The reason I tend to believe there is a fire under this smoke is the obvious MONEY. Teams given Peanut's rep would understandably be willing to give more guaranteed money and longer contracts for him as a safety. No one wants to be stuck with paying too much money to an aging corner after getting a nice contract the passes the demarcation zone into where wideouts are beating him by a step or two or more where they did not in the past.

For those that question whether he can make the switch to safety IMO this shows someone with a very narrow perception what an exceptional person and an exceptional athlete is more than capable of doing. This is the same narrow mindset of those that believe Phil Jackson cant run an NBA team. Phil and Peanut's skills are very transferable to these new roles. Both are smart instinctive, highly intelligent and highly accomplished.

Peanut would make a sensational safety. The argument could be easily made that as a ball hawking free safety he could have made many more than the 2 pro bowls he made as an exceptional cover 2 corner.

PeppersSweater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember reading the script from a chat with Tillman on the bears homepage a couple years ago, and I'm pretty sure he did seem open to the idea eventually. More recently though, he said he'd prefer to stay at CB.