So, the 49ers gave up 3 firsts and moved up 9 spots for nothing?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I mean, I guess it’s ultimately unknown. Who knows if someone else would’ve tried to trade up to there.

But point being, there were zero quarterbacks taken between #3 and #11.

The 49ers maybe could’ve just stood pat and still gotten Trey Lance, a guy who most probably didn’t have as the third best QB anyway (although that bit is arguable, I grant you).

Or they could’ve moved up just a few spots for the same result while giving up less.

Instead, they gave up 3 firsts to move up nine spots to #3.

Did Lynch get fleeced?

Also, how are Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster these days?

Last edited:

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
A lot of what ifs, but if there's a franchise quarterback to be had then you don't risk it. It's why I don't hate Pace moving up for Trubisky to guarantee he got his guy. Now hitting on that guy is a whole other story, but you shouldn't play games if you identified a guy you believe is franchise QB worthy.

Decatur Staley

CBMB Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
They were on SC after the draft and a few other talk shows gloating about Trey Lance too... Of course, no one asked the real question, "Looking back, was trading up a good move?".

Collins77

Liked Posts:
It reminds me of the Trubisky pick. Hope they sit the kid for at least a year or its gonna be a similar story.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I wouldn’t have given all that up for lance. He has lots of potential and has an excellent situation to grow in sf cause of coaching and luxury of sitting the year. But trading 3 firsts for an unknown is nuts. I still think they were better off drafting fields

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I mean, I guess it’s ultimately unknown. Who knows if someone else would’ve tried to trade up to there.

But point being, there were zero quarterbacks taken between #3 and #11.

The 49ers maybe could’ve just stood pat and still gotten Trey Lance, a guy who most probably didn’t have as the third best QB anyway (although that bit is arguable, I grant you).

Or they could’ve moved up just a few spots for the same result while giving up less.

Instead, they gave up 3 firsts to move up nine spots to #3.

Did Lynch get fleeced?

Also, how are Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster these days?
He got fleeced big time. What goes around, comes around. Yesterday was beautiful.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The Atlanta Falcons were hot on Trey Lance and the 49ers got wind of it. They moved up one selection in front of them then sold the world on it being for Mac Jones just in case Atlanta got itchy and wanted to trade up with the Jets, a possibility which faded once the Jets dealt Sam Darnold. It was always for Lance though, and if you could read between the lines of the 49ers roster situation and the type of prospect Trey Lance is that was obvious the moment they did it.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Lance has some serious potential. There is no guarantee the Bears or some other team wouldn't have traded up to get him if SF passed. The Bears took a big risk waiting on Fields to drop. The Broncos could have taken him or the Pats could have leaped them if they wanted Fields.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It reminds me of the Trubisky pick. Hope they sit the kid for at least a year or its gonna be a similar story.
This is in no way similar to the trubisky pick. The 9ers traded more than three first round picks. The bears swapped first rounders and gave up a 3rd and fourth rounder

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I said it before the draft so it's not revisionist history. Trading 3 first round picks for a guy with 4 200 yard passing games in his entire college career is absolute madness.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Lance has some serious potential. There is no guarantee the Bears or some other team wouldn't have traded up to get him if SF passed. The Bears took a big risk waiting on Fields to drop. The Broncos could have taken him or the Pats could have leaped them if they wanted Fields.

Supposedly the Bears were trying to trade to #8, so they probably suspected the Broncos would nab him. Quite honestly, I think the Eagles trading over the Giants to take Smith is what made the Giants trade out.

shoez90

Liked Posts:
A lot of what ifs, but if there's a franchise quarterback to be had then you don't risk it. It's why I don't hate Pace moving up for Trubisky to guarantee he got his guy. Now hitting on that guy is a whole other story, but you shouldn't play games if you identified a guy you believe is franchise QB worthy.
agree and disagree. agree if you see what u need go for it go big or go home. disagree in Trubisky not enuff body of work at that value. For that price should be a can't lose can't believe he's still available talent. No risks for projects and yes he was a project with a capital P.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
iu

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Supposedly the Bears were trying to trade to #8, so they probably suspected the Broncos would nab him. Quite honestly, I think the Eagles trading over the Giants to take Smith is what made the Giants trade out.
Great point. We were lucky the Broncos want to win with defense and a meh vet and that the Giants wanted Smith badly.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I’ll be honest, and I’m the first person to say that nobody knows anything about scouting QBs, I wanted nothing to do with Pace drafting Lance.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
If that’s true maybe the Rodgers drama trade rumors helped us out

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
i hope Fields makes a career of ending Lance’s play off runs
Dude I'm rewatching the Clemson game now, that 60 yard dime he dropped to Olave while sliding to his left to avoid a rusher (and Olave wasn't his first read) was better than any throw I've seen Zach Wilson make. How this guy wasn't #2 is beyond me.