So, the 49ers gave up 3 firsts and moved up 9 spots for nothing?

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
agree and disagree. agree if you see what u need go for it go big or go home. disagree in Trubisky not enuff body of work at that value. For that price should be a can't lose can't believe he's still available talent. No risks for projects and yes he was a project with a capital P.
But that comes down to scouting ability. Had the trade up been for Mahomes and his huge question marks, the initial criticism would have been there and then immediately disappeared after his first game.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Atlanta Falcons were hot on Trey Lance and the 49ers got wind of it. They moved up one selection in front of them then sold the world on it being for Mac Jones just in case Atlanta got itchy and wanted to trade up with the Jets, a possibility which faded once the Jets dealt Sam Darnold. It was always for Lance though, and if you could read between the lines of the 49ers roster situation and the type of prospect Trey Lance is that was obvious the moment they did it.

Sounds like something you just made up

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Dude I'm rewatching the Clemson game now, that 60 yard dime he dropped to Olave while sliding to his left to avoid a rusher (and Olave wasn't his first read) was better than any throw I've seen Zach Wilson make. How this guy wasn't #2 is beyond me.
I admittedly don't watch a ton of college football beyond the SEC (lots of friends who are UF fans). But the more I see of Fields tape, the more I scratch my head why he wasn't the clear #2 in this class. Especially when you pile on all the athletic measurables. His size, speed, intelligence and arm are off the charts.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
It is obvious the Niners plan is to be good in 2021 and win that division. Then they sell off Jimmy Garoppolo, who I'm sure they expect will have his value buoyed by being on a great team, to recoup some of the draft capital they gave up. Then they turn into a team that revolves around whatever kind of final product they have developed Trey Lance into by that point.

That's the plan. Its bold as fuck but if it works the way they envision the draft capital lost amounts to one late first round pick lost and no down year while they develop the quarterback.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I admittedly don't watch a ton of college football beyond the SEC (lots of friends who are UF fans). But the more I see of Fields tape, the more I scratch my head why he wasn't the clear #2 in this class. Especially when you pile on all the athletic measurables. His size, speed, intelligence and arm are off the charts.

Then you see his face and its clear to see why he was upset. Hope he uses that as fuel to become the greatest

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean, I guess it’s ultimately unknown. Who knows if someone else would’ve tried to trade up to there.

But point being, there were zero quarterbacks taken between #3 and #11.

The 49ers maybe could’ve just stood pat and still gotten Trey Lance, a guy who most probably didn’t have as the third best QB anyway (although that bit is arguable, I grant you).

Or they could’ve moved up just a few spots for the same result while giving up less.

Instead, they gave up 3 firsts to move up nine spots to #3.

Did Lynch get fleeced?

Also, how are Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster these days?
I'm at a loss thinking about this move and NO QB taken...

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Dude I'm rewatching the Clemson game now, that 60 yard dime he dropped to Olave while sliding to his left to avoid a rusher (and Olave wasn't his first read) was better than any throw I've seen Zach Wilson make. How this guy wasn't #2 is beyond me.
i really wonder if epilepsy is the reason the Bears have a franchise QB for the first time in a long time.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I really think these NFL guys (scouts/GMs, etc.) suffer from overthinking/knowing too much sometimes. Sometimes it is as simple as , "Wow, this dude fucking slings it, he's big, he's tough as fuck, he's crazy fast for a QB, and he has good touch/accuracy."

I mean Justin Fields is BATTLE TESTED. That Clemson game was one of the best that I have ever seen a college QB play, I believe he had 3 TD passes (it was at least 2) that traveled 50+ air yards. Dude really has touch on the deep ball if you keep him clean.

I have no idea how anyone could justify taking Wilson and Lance over him. Sure Wilson has more swag that's reminiscent of like Rodgers/Mahomes, and I see the appeal, but the traits he has that people rave about Fields also has. Fields doesn't give up anything to Wilson on arm strength, and he's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy faster than him. Wilson is like Aaron Rodgers fast, Justin Fields is more like Lamar Jackson fast. Fields played well against the who's who, Wilson played nobody. I just don't see at all how someone could make that decision.

This isn't to say that Lance/Wilson can't be better than Fields, they can, but if I had to bet I'd put money on Fields every time. He's shown it. Wilson hasn't, and Lance DEFINITELY hasn't.

shoez90

Liked Posts:
But that comes down to scouting ability. Had the trade up been for Mahomes and his huge question marks, the initial criticism would have been there and then immediately disappeared after his first game.
Well kinda but you at least had a body of work to reference. With Mitch all you could reference was potential upside which is as about as accurate as stock trading.

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
It was easily the most curious pick of the 1st round. I was absolutely shocked and very happy. I knew at that moment the Bears would have a shot at one of the 2 not named Lance.

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
Well kinda but you at least had a body of work to reference. With Mitch all you could reference was potential upside which is as about as accurate as stock trading.
If Pace is so convinced about Trubisky that he is willing to lose his job if he's wrong, he should be allowed to pay whatever price he wants for that guy. Of course he missed and is somehow still around, but I'm okay with letting GMs try to get the guy they're absolutely convinced with.

shoez90

Liked Posts:
If Pace is so convinced about Trubisky that he is willing to lose his job if he's wrong, he should be allowed to pay whatever price he wants for that guy. Of course he missed and is somehow still around, but I'm okay with letting GMs try to get the guy they're absolutely convinced with.
The real question is what convinced him ? football stuff or off the field shit. There lies the answer to frame of mind and price tag. Not sure Pace will ever tell that story.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I said it before the draft so it's not revisionist history. Trading 3 first round picks for a guy with 4 200 yard passing games in his entire college career is absolute madness.
It is. But it also could work out for them.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yes, if you watch the Clemson game.

However, if you sit and watch the Indiana game, or Northwestern you would wonder how he could get drafted at all.

Glad to see you and others happy, but like most QB picks, not sure how this will go.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers

However, if you sit and watch the Indiana game, or Northwestern you would wonder how he could get drafted at all.

Glad to see you and others happy, but like most QB picks, not sure how this will go.
or look at any other game besides 2...? this is such a lazy cherry picked narrative.

even if Fields is a categorical bust this was 1000% a great pick by Pace, and i am a known Pace hater.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
It is. But it also could work out for them.

I mean, sure. But Trey Lance is like the blue print for a QB bust. Low level of competition, little production, crazy inexperienced.

And the thing is, I don't even see the supposed elite talent. His arm is good, but people comparing him to Josh Allen? No way. Not even in the same league. His accuracy is all over the place to. I just don't see it. At all.

Last edited:

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:

I've seen those two games as well.

Northwestern was ugly, Indiana was a couple bad plays. He does seem to have an issue with dealing with pressure, his decision making lowers in quality while pressured.

However, it's undeniable that he's a top tier talent, and that he's shown his skills repeatedly against strong competition. Every college QB has rough games, every pro has rough games. How do they usually play? That's the question that matters.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
or look at any other game besides 2...? this is such a lazy cherry picked narrative.

even if Fields is a categorical bust this was 1000% a great pick by Pace, and i am a known Pace hater.
He also made brilliant throws against PSU, Alabama, and basically every single game outside of Northwestern (Indiana was a bad game for him but he still made some great plays). I've seen them all from this season.