So, they paid elite money to Cutler... do you want both?

Hoodey

Liked Posts:
This isn't about Cutler..

I think if you're not being emotional and you really know what a good QB is, I've made a compelling case on why you don't overpay him. What I got back was a bunch of "oh, they won't overpay him." Yeah, right... they did.

Part of that crowd.. the "Cutler is my guy.. (so I'll say anything to argue to keep him)" crowd.. was saying "oh, well, we'll sign Jay and then we'll have all this cap space to fix the defense."

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Bears&Year=2014

Go here. The Bears total roster cap number was already at 78.5 million before the Gould deal and today's deals.

I can't find cap numbers on any of these guys, but I'm imagining even if the cap hits are only 75% of what the salaries are for this year, you're probably already around 95-98.

So, if the cap is 126 and the draft probably costs you at least 12-15 million... my question is this?

Do you realize that if we're really going to make strides on defense and as a team, and if we're REALLY to have any kind of money in free agency, we have to probably say good bye to most or all of this list?

Player Cap savings
Peppers 9.8 million
Briggs 5.5 million
Garza NA Free Agent
Hester NA Free Agent
Tillman NA Free Agent
Melton NA Free Agent

I mean, maybe you just franchise Melton simply because he's a good DT and the first round DT crop at 14 is not expected to be impactful, so you franchise him at 9+ million and take the hit. But, then, don't you have to say good bye to everyone else if you're going to say you "have money."

If you're not willing to admit we have to say good bye to any of those guys, can you admit you're just an A hole.. and that you get emotional, fall in love with players and get a meatball mentality?

I'll give special props to someone who is willing to say, "you know what, I DO want Peppers and/or Tillman back (or whoever), but yeah.. if we try to retain any of them, we're NOT going to have money."

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
1339669513607.gif

bullsadonisdna

Liked Posts:
This isn't about Cutler..

I think if you're not being emotional and you really know what a good QB is, I've made a compelling case on why you don't overpay him. What I got back was a bunch of "oh, they won't overpay him." Yeah, right... they did.

Part of that crowd.. the "Cutler is my guy.. (so I'll say anything to argue to keep him)" crowd.. was saying "oh, well, we'll sign Jay and then we'll have all this cap space to fix the defense."

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Bears&Year=2014

Go here. The Bears total roster cap number was already at 78.5 million before the Gould deal and today's deals.

I can't find cap numbers on any of these guys, but I'm imagining even if the cap hits are only 75% of what the salaries are for this year, you're probably already around 95-98.

So, if the cap is 126 and the draft probably costs you at least 12-15 million... my question is this?

Do you realize that if we're really going to make strides on defense and as a team, and if we're REALLY to have any kind of money in free agency, we have to probably say good bye to most or all of this list?

Player Cap savings
Peppers 9.8 million
Briggs 5.5 million
Garza NA Free Agent
Hester NA Free Agent
Tillman NA Free Agent
Melton NA Free Agent

I mean, maybe you just franchise Melton simply because he's a good DT and the first round DT crop at 14 is not expected to be impactful, so you franchise him at 9+ million and take the hit. But, then, don't you have to say good bye to everyone else if you're going to say you "have money."

If you're not willing to admit we have to say good bye to any of those guys, can you admit you're just an A hole.. and that you get emotional, fall in love with players and get a meatball mentality?

I'll give special props to someone who is willing to say, "you know what, I DO want Peppers and/or Tillman back (or whoever), but yeah.. if we try to retain any of them, we're NOT going to have money."

Dude i can easily imagine a scenario where all those players return tho i would not lose sleep if we lost garza. Next hester.
Melton witht he franchise tag? lol. absolutely not.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
While I'm not a fan of the Cutler contract, I also don't mind letting most of those player walk.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I'd really like to keep tillman but as a free safety. Melton on an incentive deal sounds good. Peppers on a restructure. Briggs is fine. Hester for the vet min. All seems possible? Guess I'm an a hole.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
No point in arguing with this guy, he will shove words down your throat that you've never said.

Hoodey

Liked Posts:
Dude i can easily imagine a scenario where all those players return tho i would not lose sleep if we lost garza. Next hester.
Melton witht he franchise tag? lol. absolutely not.

I imagine Melton may just want to leave, and all I was saying is you have that option to force him to stay here if he can get money elsewhere. If he can't all the better.

The DT crop at 14 is not impactful.

So, you want all those players back AND you want to have money to sign defenders?

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Thanks for the great post. Clearly, it has nothing to do with Cutler.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I imagine Melton may just want to leave, and all I was saying is you have that option to force him to stay here if he can get money elsewhere. If he can't all the better.

The DT crop at 14 is not impactful.

So, you want all those players back AND you want to have money to sign defenders?

If nix is available it is

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't even agree they paid him "elite" money. That's what other non-top 5 QBs have gotten. In fact, he got less money than Flacco and Romo on average though more since he has an extra year he may or may not ever see. Also, he supposedly got no signing bonus which is a big deal. It means the implications of cutting him if the team chooses aren't drastic. Realistically they appear to be on the hook for 3ish years as a minimum at around $54 mil. After that they can cut him fairly easily from my understanding. So, let's say Jay regresses or whatever. You're going to need 2-3 years to get a QB ready via the draft most likely because they aren't likely to draft a QB in the first round anyways.

Dabearfan101

Liked Posts:
No i want cutler so fail so bad and miserable so i can be like i told you so!

The Burning Bear

Liked Posts:

Player Cap savings
Peppers 9.8 million
Briggs 5.5 million
Garza NA Free Agent
Hester NA Free Agent
Tillman NA Free Agent
Melton NA Free Agent

Took quite a bit out of the quote for the sake of taking up less space.
You basically gave a list of players we don't need. Keep Briggs, and sign Garza and Hester to tiny contracts if they'll take them, otherwise cut them loose. Don't sign Melton to a big contract - his injury should cut the price down, otherwise another team can have him too. There are a few DT's in the draft who look to be good, both in round 1 and beyond. Aaron Donald for example would be a good pick if you bother to look past the first round.

Tillman's age was showing massively this year, not worth the money anymore, sadly. Peppers, while I'm a massive fan has not produced up to par with his contract, we could grab an equal or better DE who is younger than him with what we would save by cutting him at this point. Peppers is only going to continue declining, no point holding onto him too long. I'd love to see Tillman, Peppers, etc. all back of course, but it isn't realistic anymore. It's time to start over.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Draft's don't cost that much. Last year's #14 pick made like 1.7 million this year.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
They didn't pay him like he's elite either. His guaranteed money is like 7th in the league.

SUPERFAN

YUUUGE member
Liked Posts:
Cmbm? Wtf is that?
Nice thread that is not about Cutler. Come to realize folks you are not going to have both an elite offense and defense , shit happens . Why do so many want to see Cutler gone and end up in a quagmire of qb s again, we had a top ranked offense this year, in the first year of a new system . Smh