So who is the weak link on defense?

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
We all know this defense is nasty as hell and one of the best this franchise has had but lets say you are an opposing OC and you had to pick a player to "attack" on this defense, who would it be?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Middle of the field, mostly underneath: McManis, Trevethan, Amos.

On the ground I'd absolutely attack Roquan, his weakness is still getting off blocks, but the DL is so dominant he's mostly able to run free and do his thing. So I would probably fail in attacking him.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anymore...whomever has to fill Jackson's spot.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That Mack scrub

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Best matchups to exploit on this D are crossing routes when RoqSmitty/Danny have to cover, imo.

I'm really interested to see how McManis finishes the year. Callahan is a stud and I'd like to retain him, but if McManis shows he can be the NB Pace might use the money elsewhere. I'm not really sure what kind of money Callahan will demand after his injury tho.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
McManis, possibly Amos. That slot area is how I would attack the Bears, from a logical standpoint.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Had this conversation with a friend last weekend. We came up with notwithstanding injuries, no weak link. Good question. And the real reason - they are fired up and playing as a unit.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I'm still going to say our weakest link on defense is the tendency of Fangio to go conservative at times.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Anymore...whomever has to fill Jackson's spot.
Bears will be without Callahan and Jackson.

Replacements penciled as NB McManis and FS Bush.

(Bush is listed as 2nd string FS, though I think Houston-Carson is more the proto-type FS and Bush proto-type SS. We'll have to see if Fangio wants Amos as FS and Bush at SS (or HC at SS). But also depends on how much Bush and HC have been practicing at one position.)

I suppose weak area would be trying to go long on the Bears, out run Prince, get breakdowns from Amos and Bush (or whoever is Safety). Then exploit McManis short middle? But Smith and Trevathan are helping there.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Its not necessarily a player so much as an area of the field that is more vulnerable than the rest. That would still be the middle of the field. Roquan and Trevathan do a good job themselves but there usually are still yards to be had attacking the middle of the field depending on the depth of the play and our safeties at the time.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Khalil Mack - he needs to play better.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Mack is the weak link when he is asked to drop back and cover. All the other team has to do is have the person he is covering run a crossing pattern and he will be open against Mack.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Teams want to run at Roquan and Floyd, in coverage they want to attack Amos and McManis. You know, you will go an entire game without hearing Amos called, which is astonishing. Say what you will about his lack of playmaking, being silent at safety is not a terrible thing.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I see it as not a who but more of a how.....I think we've shown to be less effective vs the hurry up/no huddle as we cant sub and the dline gets gassed 4-5 plays into it.

I'd be worried about a team going that route early and often

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure if it's the players or the scheme itself, but the teams that seem to trouble the Bears are teams that let the ball go early (quick slant routes, crossing routes, underneath routes, etc.)

Is that the corners or linebackers? Or both?

smilebit

Liked Posts:
Teams want to run at Roquan and Floyd, in coverage they want to attack Amos and McManis. You know, you will go an entire game without hearing Amos called, which is astonishing. Say what you will about his lack of playmaking, being silent at safety is not a terrible thing.

Gotta disagree with you on running against Floyd, he's actually the last guy you want to run against. The best bet for running is trying to open up holes in between the tackles and try and hit our linebackers. You'd have a better chance at running against Mack than at Floyd and Mack is great against the run too.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Defensive Rankings

1. Mack
2. Hicks
3. Jackson
4. Fuller
5. Roquan
6. Goldman
7. Floyd
8. Prince
9. Callahan
10. Trevathan
11. Amos

Jesus, this defense is stacked. Amos and Trevathan are really good players and would start for every team in our division without question, and they are the most replaceable players.