So why would Josh McCown come back anyway?

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is also a FA after this season...Every time he plays at this level his price goes up...

Plenty of owners with stupid money that would overpay for his services..And rightfully so..He is a nice short term solution to a win now franchise that already has a defense...Houston?

Phil has big decisions this off season

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
Houston / Cleveland don't have anything right now...

At this point with Josh at the end of his career, cash is King

Edit- Or the Raiders

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If McCown goes somewhere with normal size receivers and a below average oline, his career stats will show its ugly head again.....

I can't see another team paying him to be their starting QB.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I think he'll stay, but he's earning more with each performance. He loves it here in Chicago, which gave him a chance under two coaches. Very humble guy.

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
If he wants a pay day, he will leave, go to a team that overpays him and get crushed next session.

If he wants to end his career known as an effective QB, he will stay and continue to play a limited back-up QB role in a system that maximizes his ability.

That makes no sense.

How would he maximize his ability in a limited back up role?

BEARS

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
With his track-record and age, I really don't see, even the desperate, teams offering him much. Is there a "win now" capable team out there that is just a decent QB away from a championship? I don't think so.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
McCown is a smart guy who just feels lucky to be in the league again and living the dream.

He's not dumb - he'll take his 1-3 m from the Bears and be happy as a pig in mud knowing he is playing in a system that makes him look awesome.

Saluki

Liked Posts:
He is also a FA after this season...Every time he plays at this level his price goes up...

Plenty of owners with stupid money that would overpay for his services..And rightfully so..He is a nice short term solution to a win now franchise that already has a defense...Houston?

He's a 34 year old career backup. His sample size is large enough where people know they aren't going to win a superbowl with him, so why waste your time? Josh McCown won't be the day 1 starter for anyone next season. I don't see anyone throwing more than the backup money he could get here at him.

rhino369

Liked Posts:
I could see a team that is drafting a rookie signing him to have both QBs compete for the spot. But they aren't going to pay a premium for him. His age makes a big number, long term deal impossible.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
He's pretty comfortable where he's at right now. I think he'd be more than happy with a three yr contract with maybe a 1M signing bonus and 4M guaranteed. He's a great guy to have around even when he's not playing - I could definitely see him as a QB coach with the Bears after he retires.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
McCown is a smart guy who just feels lucky to be in the league again and living the dream.

He's not dumb - he'll take his 1-3 m from the Bears and be happy as a pig in mud knowing he is playing in a system that makes him look awesome.

See to me, with the franchise tag money at 15M, that is a slapp for a payday

And for those that think limited playing time doesn't culminate into a payday; Scott Mitchell, Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb..

.Heck Andy Reid made a living selling those guys

tricky5544

Liked Posts:
Taking nothing away from Josh McCown, but if he leaves he will not have the weapons and systym that is giving him this great chance...he will not repeat this on a team that is in position to take him....why would he leave that?

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

McCown isn't going to play at this level this high anywhere else then here. Don't think McCown is going anywhere else.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
Has nothing to do with his level of play elsewhere and everthing to do with his market value as a free agent.

Make no mistake..he is a FA and there is a market for QB's in the NFL

Add JAX to my list also

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
OP is suggesting a team is going to offer McCown long term starter money to a QB with a 14 year NFL track record of sucking ass? lmfao