HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Misleading my ass. You missed the point completely. It was about Century Link being "built to be loud." I was pointing out that a much older and also outdoor stadium (Arrowhead), like both Century Link and Soldier Field can be extremely loud. You're really splitting hairs if you're calling me out for erring on the "current" record holder for decibel level.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. It was a response to why Arrowhead holds the record. Nothing more nothing less.

Payton_34

Seattle Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Don't get your panties in a bunch. It was a response to why Arrowhead holds the record. Nothing more nothing less.

I apologize. Seemed like we were getting off track with the point of the thread just to nitpick. That seems to happen a lot around here. It's all good.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you are in the top section at night watch out for bugs because they are everywhere.

They really aren’t that bad, been to 10+ games in upper section, never really noticed a bad bug issue.

The crowd can get loud. I have been to other outdoor stadiums, didn’t notice a big difference. Domed stadiums are different. I have never been to Arrowhead. I will say this, the Bear fans now shut the fuck up when the Bears are on offense. They haven’t always in the past.

Payton_34

Seattle Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Since we know that NFL fans in some cities can use noise to their team's advantage to greater effect than other NFL cities in both indoor and outdoor stadiums and regardless of the shape of the stadium, what is the difference between fanbases?

Chicago is a HUGE sports town and I would argue the Bears are at the top of the list for most Chicago sports fans. Does it have something to do with the most passionate fans (the lunch pail guys) being priced out of attending NFL games leaving only those too good to make noise?

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
So far I've been to 1 game this year in the 400 section. It is much louder in the stadium than what you hear on TV. It may not compare favorably to other stadiums that have either been designed to increase crowd noise on the field or are in a dome. But if you compare the Soldier field crowd to the crowds you get at a Bulls/Blackhawks/Sox game, then Soldier field is the rowdy-iest crowd of that bunch. It may not be as nuts as Wrigley Field, but that's only because half the patrons (didn't say fans) of Wrigley Field treat it like a bar and can't actually name more 2-3 players on either team.

Payton_34

Seattle Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So far I've been to 1 game this year in the 400 section. It is much louder in the stadium than what you hear on TV. It may not compare favorably to other stadiums that have either been designed to increase crowd noise on the field or are in a dome. But if you compare the Soldier field crowd to the crowds you get at a Bulls/Blackhawks/Sox game, then Soldier field is the rowdy-iest crowd of that bunch. It may not be as nuts as Wrigley Field, but that's only because half the patrons (didn't say fans) of Wrigley Field treat it like a bar and can't actually name more 2-3 players on either team.

That's no joke. A Cubs game is just an event that happens to be going on while you're hanging out at Wrigley with friends. That's not a slap at Cubs or their fans, just a fact. I'm not a baseball fan but I've been to wrigley many times. Great atmosphere but not a rabid fanbase.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That wouldn't explain why Arrowhead, one of the oldest NFL stadiums (1968), is every bit as loud as Seattle and holds the record. Still, with a fanbase the size of Chicago you'd think you could find enough willing to make some noise...at the right times.

Soldier Field is one the smallest stadiums in the NFL so it's going to be at a disadvantage in terms of generating comparable crowd noise to the rest of the league. Arrowhead can hold about 11-12,000 more people.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
They have sucked for several years but I noticed a huge difference during the Seattle night game earlier this year. The crowd was pretty loud, probably one of the loudest games I had been to in years. I travel to go to 1 home game a year. I think winning makes a difference and the crowd will be loud on Sunday night.

WestsideResider

Bro idk
Liked Posts:
Going to my first NFL game ever Sunday night. Will try to be very loud.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Going to my first NFL game ever Sunday night. Will try to be very loud.

Solo or with anyone else? I recommend going to the Waldron Deck and catching a buzz before trying to enter the stadium and getting raped by the beer prices. As long as you are sociable more than likely people will offer you food and drinks. We are pretty friendly people on the deck. Not to mention you can warm up with the heaters people bring and catch the Chicago Bears Drumline at some point. If you do go to the Waldron Deck then I also suggest avoiding the porta-poties upstairs on the deck. Instead walk down the grass to the bottom of the deck and use the indoor bathrooms.

WestsideResider

Bro idk
Liked Posts:
Solo or with anyone else? I recommend going to the Waldron Deck and catching a buzz before trying to enter the stadium and getting raped by the beer prices. As long as you are sociable more than likely people will offer you food and drinks. We are pretty friendly people on the deck. Not to mention you can warm up with the heaters people bring and catch the Chicago Bears Drumline at some point. If you do go to the Waldron Deck then I also suggest avoiding the porta-poties upstairs on the deck. Instead walk down the grass to the bottom of the deck and use the indoor bathrooms.
Gonna be 3 of us I thnk. Sounds good though, I'll definitely check it out.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Right on man. Enjoy the game.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I haven't been to a game in Soldier Field since the late 90's (before the renovation), For those who have been, and particularly those who have been to other NFL stadiums, what are the noticeable differences in terms of crowd noise?

I've been to many games in Seattle and when the opposing team has the ball the noise is deafening. When I watch Bears games it seems as if fans don't realize the affect they can have on the opposing team's offense. Is it really as quiet in Soldier Field as it sounds on TV? When I watch other games (Seattle, New Orleans) there's a huge difference. So, is it the fans? Is it the acoustics?
Been to probably close to 60-70 games in the last 15 years, and the crowd is pathetic. If the bears get down a little they lose interest. It's saddening. Part of it is the price, part is the aucistics, and another part is probably the size of the stadium.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
I'm originally from Philly. Been to tons of Eagles games at old Vet and the Link. Bears fans are like church mice compared to Eagles fans. I loath Eagles fans, but they are what you want as far as home field advantage. They don't need to be in a dome or special engineered stadiums that generate noise. Kansas City is pretty tough too. As far as fans in general Virginia Tech is the noisiest place I've ever been.