Something kind of clicked - Matt Nagy holds the power now doesn't he?

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm seriously going over this draft and thinking about the moves that have been made.

I am also going over in my head how the Bears could have had that god-awful press conference at the end of the season and have kept both Ryan pace and Matt Nagy.

Collaboration was the word that made everybody want to puke.

When asked why things would be different, we were told it would be because of the collaboration.

What if they were being sly and it didn't mean what we all thought it meant?

I know some of us have our issues with Matt Nagy, but what if coming out of that six game losing streak and making a push to the playoffs, giving everything that wasn't working in his favor, cemented in the brain of the Bears ownership that they had the right head coach?

And what if in the end of season interviews, Matt Nagy made the case that he hasn't been given a fair opportunity because Ryan Pace hasn't been giving Matt the players he wants?

Just spitballing here, but it could explain why the tone of this draft is so different and why they finally are addressing the offensive line with a focus on getting players who have a nasty edge into the offensive line room.

No idea if this is right or not but it's some interesting food for thought.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
OL sucked last year, so they drafted OL. End of story I think. Very glad they did, but Pace has spent on Whitehair and Daniels high in the past. I believe when they say there is collaboration, but I think Pace still has final say.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
If I was a gm I would collaborate with my scouts and hc before making a definitive decision. Foisting players on a hc that he doesn’t want isn’t a winning strategy.

mcbear34

Here for the Wins
Liked Posts:
I've been thinking of this same thing over the last 3 days. Spot on-

Or if Teddy hamstrung Pace and/or Nagy during the last few seasons. Because this is a complete 180 from years past. But time will tell.

Overall, I'm happy.

Bearsfan7954

Liked Posts:
Maybe Pace is learning? He was a rookie GM when he came here after all. I think it would take a guy some time to get really comfortable in the job. He has made some mistakes but he has also done some good things here as well. Like his late round picks for example. IMO Pace is just hitting his stride as GM. I just hope he continues on an upward trajectory. I know I was much better 6 years into my job than I was when I started.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
After Pace’s failures with evaluating the quarterback position specifically, it was obvious whoever the Bears selected at QB was going to be Nagy’s hand picked choice.

Thank god the pick aligned with the CCS Quarterback Guru’s #1 target.

The search is over. I’m going to sit back and enjoy the masterpiece.

DBCOOPER

Liked Posts:
louis riddick said it on ESPN, Justin Fields was Nagy’s pick. that pick could save the franchise.
Perhaps, but I have to imagine most everyone was on the same page with it when the opportunity presented itself. I can't imagine Pace would be opposed to it.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Perhaps, but I have to imagine most everyone was on the same page with it when the opportunity presented itself. I can't imagine Pace would be opposed to it.
he did it with deshaun.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Or, maybe this draft sucks. Won't know that for a while.

baredown

Liked Posts:
Umhhhh, Nagy had his play-calling responsibilities taken away last year. That’s about as far removed from being in control as a HC can get. I’m guessing his end of year review said “learn to run the effn ball or else”. Drafting Fields was about solving the Bears’ festering QB problem, not about anointing Nagy anything...

Canth

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't overthink it too much. Both Pace and Nagy know that the offense had to improve or they would likely be gone after 2021.

I have no doubt that Pace is working with Nagy to get the pieces Nagy said he needed to get a functioning NFL offense going. They have reset at qb and they are getting some tough, gritty guys to set the tone along the offensive line. Both were sorely needed in Chicago.

greg23

Liked Posts:
the guy cant figure out his own personnel, yet he knows how to spot the right talent amongst 300 draft eliglble college players?

thats funny

he may know how to evaluate qb (still a ? mark to me) but this is both of their last chance to pick a qb

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
he did it with deshaun.
In retrospect, not picking Watson was a fantastic decision. Otherwise the Bears would now be just like the Packers, with an over paid baby wanting to leave town...not to mention the stain in Chicago the Bears would have with Watson fooling around with massage women in that town. Maybe picking Mitch was the hurdle that landed the team Fields, the actual QB that will change things on this team?

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
In retrospect, not picking Watson was a fantastic decision. Otherwise the Bears would now be just like the Packers, with an over paid baby wanting to leave town...not to mention the stain in Chicago the Bears would have with Watson fooling around with massage women in that town. Maybe picking Mitch was the hurdle that landed the team Fields, the actual QB that will change things on this team?
from a purely football perspective it was not. if there were character concerns amongst NFL teams before the draft it would have come out by now.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
If I was a gm I would collaborate with my scouts and hc before making a definitive decision. Foisting players on a hc that he doesn’t want isn’t a winning strategy.

I'm pretty sure every single GM in the NFL does this. They don't just grab a guy and say "Here, this is what you get whether you like it or not".

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'm seriously going over this draft and thinking about the moves that have been made.

I am also going over in my head how the Bears could have had that god-awful press conference at the end of the season and have kept both Ryan pace and Matt Nagy.

Collaboration was the word that made everybody want to puke.

When asked why things would be different, we were told it would be because of the collaboration.

What if they were being sly and it didn't mean what we all thought it meant?

I know some of us have our issues with Matt Nagy, but what if coming out of that six game losing streak and making a push to the playoffs, giving everything that wasn't working in his favor, cemented in the brain of the Bears ownership that they had the right head coach?

And what if in the end of season interviews, Matt Nagy made the case that he hasn't been given a fair opportunity because Ryan Pace hasn't been giving Matt the players he wants?

Just spitballing here, but it could explain why the tone of this draft is so different and why they finally are addressing the offensive line with a focus on getting players who have a nasty edge into the offensive line room.

No idea if this is right or not but it's some interesting food for thought.
Yes you are.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
OL sucked last year, so they drafted OL. End of story I think. Very glad they did, but Pace has spent on Whitehair and Daniels high in the past. I believe when they say there is collaboration, but I think Pace still has final say.
No doubt about it that Pace has made it more of a collaboration and no doubt that Pace has the biggest voice and final voice.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure every single GM in the NFL does this. They don't just grab a guy and say "Here, this is what you get whether you like it or not".
you would think so, but apparently coach Fox is on the record stating that his 1st QB choice was Watson. Pace still went and got Trubisky instead.