Soriano on his way out?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't get releasing him. He still has value with the bat. No where near 18 million dollars worth, but apparently you are paying him that one way or the other. Why not leave him on the team for another year to see what is left in the tank. If the number continue to trend down then you release him, but right now he still is a source of power that really can't be replaced internally at this point.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
but..but WE NEED HIS RANGE FACTOR

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's not nice in the financial sense as you'd like to recoup some of the sunk cost in trade, but at this point, if they can't get something in return, they have to seriously consider releasing Soriano so he's not blocking a prospect. I think he has enough power left in him to be a good DH though so they need to pursue that trade option.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
What prospect is he blocking at this point? Brett Jackson probably could use more time in AAA as much as I want to see him here, and while I am not about to completely write off Tyler Colvin the idea that we have to clear a space for him is silly. Since we are paying him one way or the other, why not a platoon in left with Colvin to the end of the season. Fukudome is going to be gone at the end of the year, and Jackson could take over center with Byrd moving to right. Soriano and Colvin could do a not strict platoon but really more an even split of playing time. I just don't see a guy that has no value offensively.

The preferable choice is to find another team that gives a prospect or two and pays 4 million a year for Soriano, but assuming that no team is willing to do that. Why not just keep him?

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
hopefully an AL team that doesn't have a lot of funds but happens to surprisingly be in the Playoff Picture and could use a bat b/c their outfield has been beat up like none-other and a bat might put them over the top...

Hello Sports-Hell...Cleveland, Ohio!

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd rather have Colvin and Jackson is the OF...Jackson for Soriano and Colvin for Kosuke. I don't believe in the "that player needs more time in the minors." Also triple A does shit...

Or another player instead of Colvin.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Colvin might be one we could "throw in" w/ Soriano in order to not have to pay quite as much. He sucks, but not all of baseball knows it yet.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
What prospect is he blocking at this point? Brett Jackson probably could use more time in AAA as much as I want to see him here, and while I am not about to completely write off Tyler Colvin the idea that we have to clear a space for him is silly. Since we are paying him one way or the other, why not a platoon in left with Colvin to the end of the season. Fukudome is going to be gone at the end of the year, and Jackson could take over center with Byrd moving to right. Soriano and Colvin could do a not strict platoon but really more an even split of playing time. I just don't see a guy that has no value offensively.

The preferable choice is to find another team that gives a prospect or two and pays 4 million a year for Soriano, but assuming that no team is willing to do that. Why not just keep him?

I guess you kind of assume that the Cubs will never do a full rebuild and will try to contend every year. I like Soriano even though the contract was stupid the moment it was signed (one part Hendry, several parts Tribune) and I think he has some redeeming qualities, but the fact is that he is aging, slowed by injury, and at this point is pretty much an all-or-nothing hitter. The power is nice to have, but we're talking about a guy who at times is a defensive liability and no longer has the speed. I think the Cubs take the best salary-dump type offer they can get for Soriano this season before his stock falls even further. Forget getting something back, just get the salary relief so you can sign someone else.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess you kind of assume that the Cubs will never do a full rebuild and will try to contend every year. I like Soriano even though the contract was stupid the moment it was signed (one part Hendry, several parts Tribune) and I think he has some redeeming qualities, but the fact is that he is aging, slowed by injury, and at this point is pretty much an all-or-nothing hitter. The power is nice to have, but we're talking about a guy who at times is a defensive liability and no longer has the speed. I think the Cubs take the best salary-dump type offer they can get for Soriano this season before his stock falls even further. Forget getting something back, just get the salary relief so you can sign someone else.

I think the Cubs are to the point where if a team was offering to pay any amount of Soriano's contract that they would do that deal. If the only options are keeping Soriano or releasing him, I don't see how the Cubs benefit from releasing him now. If the skills continue to decline and he is offering nothing you can just release him later. But for right now there is no big time prospect that has to have a spot right this second that Soriano is blocking. Jackson can get plenty of time in September, and the odds of dealing Fukudome is at least decent. Jackson's spot will be ready by April 2012 whether Soriano is on this team or not.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I listened to David Kaplan talk about sitting guys like Soriano and Ramirez once it is August 1st. I reread the article where he is spouting the same nonsense. Does David Kaplan not realize that you can still make trades after the non-waiver deadline of July 31st, and that by sitting these guys you destroy any chance of moving Soriano or Ramirez?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I listened to David Kaplan talk about sitting guys like Soriano and Ramirez once it is August 1st. I reread the article where he is spouting the same nonsense. Does David Kaplan not realize that you can still make trades after the non-waiver deadline of July 31st, and that by sitting these guys you destroy any chance of moving Soriano or Ramirez?

David Kaplan doesn't realize a lot of things.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with Dab it would be stupid to just release Sori. If were going to pay him might as well get his production. He not blocking any star prospect. Colvin cant make enough contact and Jackson having trouble making contact in AAA. Now if they can trade him and get prospects and have to eat 85-90% of his contract fine but stupid to pay him while they find another filler OF.