Sounds Like Alfonso Soriano is Ready to Accept a Trade

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Alfonso Soriano understands that the Chicago Cubs aren’t likely to be competitive in 2013, and he also understands that they’re building for the future by trading guys like Soriano. He may or may not like it, but it’s been clear in everything he’s said that he understands it.

When discussing the possibility of a trade earlier this year, Soriano indicated that he wouldn’t be willing to waive his no-trade rights until he’d at least given the Cubs a fair shake to come out of the gate and surprise. If he was going to win in the twilight of his career, he wanted it to be with the Cubs. I have no problem with that, and think it’s pretty cool.

But the Cubs are now 10 games under .500 with June fast approaching. Is it time to start thinking about a trade? It kind of sounds like Soriano is there.

“Sometimes, you just think too much,” Soriano told Cubs.com of a recent loss to the Pirates in which the Cubs held an early lead behind a great Matt Garza start, only to lose the game late. “I get frustrated when you see that happen, because I’m tired of losing. I don’t want to be on a losing team and have a bad record.”

“One day at a time, today’s another day, and do the best I can to win today and I’ll be fine,” Soriano later continued. “I’m happy when we win. When we lose, no matter how we lose, I’ll be [ticked off]. I understand we won’t win 162 games, but we have a good team and are good enough to have a better record than we have now. That’s what makes me frustrated.”

I’d think it fair that Soriano could only suffer so much more frustration before he decides it’s time to open up to the opportunity to land on a winner for a couple more seasons. He has the right to be choosey, though, and the Cubs will probably have to work hard (and eat a whole lot of salary) if they want to move him before the Trade Deadline. So far, Soriano isn’t helping much: although he’s shown good health and spry legs, he’s hitting just .263/.293/.401.

If he’s frustrated with the state of things with the Cubs, and if he’s slowly accepting that a trade is inevitable, he could help out his own options by picking it up at the plate a bit.

However it plays out, and wherever Soriano lands, I suspect he’ll have a lot of Cubs fans cheering for him from afar. I’d like to see him do well somewhere if it isn’t going to be with the Cubs.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
noticed soriano not playing tonight (rest).. be keeping on eye on teams in need of a LF and or DH that at the top of playoff race

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ya read that one already. If they deal out Sori expect Garza, Dejesus, Marmol, Feldman, Villenueva, Hairston, Schierholtz. Maybe Gregg.

We could end up with Sweeney in RF, Borbon in CF and Jackson in LF in Sept. Vitters back at 3B, Castro, Barney or Valbuena at 2B Rizzo then Castillo.

Talk about a low payroll starting 8.

Rotation Shark, Jackson, Wood and?

Pen just Russell and Fuji with a bunch of Iowa players.

............:yeah:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But to be perfectly serious:

They need to promote Jackson and Vitters and make them play full time this year. Sink or swim.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
agree.. they need to see if these two are going to be a part of their core going forward or not
Completely agree. Vitters I think is a definite bust at this point, Jackson idk leaning towards bust.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Completely agree. Vitters I think is a definite bust at this point, Jackson idk leaning towards bust.

Vitters: .270/.343/.444 63 AB 7 BB 10 SO
Jackson: .254/.336/.404 114 AB 11 BB 35 SO

I'll disagree.

Jackson has regressed over the last 2 years. Vitters has been injured this year with a quad and still is putting up better production.

If they let Vitters get constant AB's on the Cubs vs platooning him with Valbuena I believe he will adjust.

Jackson SO too much. I believe he busts.

Guy I'd like to see every day is Brian Bogusevic. .356/.453/.568 146 AB 26 BB/ 28 SO Shoot I'd let him lead off if they toss Dejesus vs giving Jax the promote.

My opinion is Jax was advanced for the A ball league pitching and feasted off the lower quality pitching. As the pitching became more advanced with better command of off speed pitching and throwing strikes his production fell.

I believe we are just seeing the results of his lackings.

Vitters has been progressing with every promotion. It is not too far of a reach to say he will make the next adjustment.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Vitters has been progressing with every promotion. It is not too far of a reach to say he will make the next adjustment.

i agree with Vitters, he seems like he plays better the second go around..
they had stewart playing 1B last night in IOWA, so hopefully Vitters will get more ABs now to get ready for a Call Up..

the only thing about bogusevis is yes he having a good season to date but he 29 and been a career minor leaguer .. this is his 8th yr in minors and by far his most productive.. he has had 547 AB with the astros the last 3 yrs netting a .227 AVG.
im not saying NOT to give him a shot this yr., just dont think he long term as a starter..

the guy id like to see get a shot at CF is Jae Hoon Ha he 22 in his 3rd yr in AA and has a AA career numbers of .279 AVG .349 OBP .401 SLG .728 OPS
this year he at .305 .408 .402 .811.. he gets on base, decent speed, he doesnt have alot of HR power but gets alot of doubles.. he has a pretty good glove in CFer

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Unfortunately he might be a little late on this one. Needs to start hitting for anyone to want him at the deadline.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
i agree with Vitters, he seems like he plays better the second go around..
they had stewart playing 1B last night in IOWA, so hopefully Vitters will get more ABs now to get ready for a Call Up..

the only thing about bogusevis is yes he having a good season to date but he 29 and been a career minor leaguer .. this is his 8th yr in minors and by far his most productive.. he has had 547 AB with the astros the last 3 yrs netting a .227 AVG.
im not saying NOT to give him a shot this yr., just dont think he long term as a starter..

the guy id like to see get a shot at CF is Jae Hoon Ha he 22 in his 3rd yr in AA and has a AA career numbers of .279 AVG .349 OBP .401 SLG .728 OPS
this year he at .305 .408 .402 .811.. he gets on base, decent speed, he doesnt have alot of HR power but gets alot of doubles.. he has a pretty good glove in CFer

I agree with Bog. My thought was this: Cubs look like thy are falling fast. I'd start fielding offers on players that they can flip now. Dejesus has had a solid year with a option. I'd move him and promote Bog to play every day and lead off. If it don't work, no big deal. I'd look to sell RF off also. Some team could find value in both. Plug Sweeny out there. 3rd base promote Vitters and let Valbuena get AB's at 2B. Now going into next year I'd invest into Jacoby to lead off. Getting sick of the plug and play shit to be honest. Vitters was an investment for 6 years running give him his legit shot. There is no quality bats in the market anyways at 3rd. OF Jackson is looking over matched at Iowa. End the madness and sign Jacoby to lead off. RF I'd push up Soler and let him adjust on theCubs. As far asSori is concerned. He has done little at the plate this year. He has no right to complain about losing. He is a big cause of it.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
he gets on base, decent speed, he doesnt have alot of HR power but gets alot of doubles.. he has a pretty good glove in CFer

Players like that are 5th OF in the majors.

Not starting major league players and nothing to build around.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Players like that are 5th OF in the majors.

Not starting major league players and nothing to build around.

Ha projects as a 4th OF. If he had top end speed this would be a diffrent story. Szczur on the other hand has a better shot with his legs. As long as he can keep his OBA over .350 as he promotes up. If Ha was a game breaking talent he wouldn't have been held back at Tenn. he is no better then Sappelt.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
A lot of baseball people are thinking Ellsbury is someone the cubs are keeping an eye on, he hasnt really gotten back on track since the injury..

theres a good chance all 3 outfielders ( soriano, dejesus, schierholtz) gets moved by july and we will probably see szczur, jackson bogusevis, and Ha get a good look from july on out to see who can stick for 2014..

vitters will definately get another shot..

Soler is another hot streak away from being promoted to AA, if he finishes strong there and starts out good in either AA or AAA next yr., i can see him with the cubs by mid season..

Good to see Albert Almora off to a great start with Kane county, im sure he will be in AA by mid season..
Be nice if it works out with him in CF and Soler in RF in 2015..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Ha projects as a 4th OF. If he had top end speed this would be a diffrent story. Szczur on the other hand has a better shot with his legs. As long as he can keep his OBA over .350 as he promotes up. If Ha was a game breaking talent he wouldn't have been held back at Tenn. he is no better then Sappelt.

Ha only played 1 full season in AA 2012.. 60 Games in 2011 and this yr., the kid only 22 YO and just seems like he going to be a good hitter, one of those tough outs kind of guys.. dont know if he'll ever be a full time starter but he would be that perfect 4th OFer who can play all 3 OF positions with a Good Glove.

I like szczur too, i think he fits in the same mold as HA but with a lot more speed...

im actually looking forward to getting these trades done and to start seeing some of these kids called up to see who can stick for 2014, they need to start getting an OF core together.. Im sure their projecting / hoping for Almora and Soler to be out there together by 2015.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
theres a good chance all 3 outfielders ( soriano, dejesus, schierholtz) gets moved by july and we will probably see szczur, jackson bogusevis, and Ha get a good look from july on out to see who can stick for 2014..

Ha would get promoted with Szczur to finish up in Iowa. They wouldn't get time in Chi. They would go to the Azl fall league.

I wouldn't get excited about Jackson. He has sucked this year. He would have to do a 180 over the next 2 months to even matter any more. I'm not even considering him a prospect anymore to be honest.

2009: .318/.418/.488 A ball
2010: .297/.395/.493 A+ to AA
2011: .274/.379/.490 AA to AAA
2012: .256/.338/.479 AAA
2013: .254/.336/.404 AAA

Notice a trend here. Worst production.

So is he getting worse or is the pitching getting better and he remains the same making his production look worse?

I honestly believe it is option 2. His talent peaked early and has capped. And it is not good enough to cut it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
A lot of baseball people are thinking Ellsbury is someone the cubs are keeping an eye on, he hasnt really gotten back on track since the injury..

Still better then depending on platoons or unproven shaky farm help.

If anything it means his asking price will be lower and could end up being a bargain.

I would expect when Almora promotes him in LF leading off. Almora in CF hitting #2. He is hitting there right now. He also is showing that he takes walks with solid hitting skills. He projects fine there.

Worth the investment IMO.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
szczur, jackson bogusevis, and Ha get a good look from july on out to see who can stick for 2014..

yea your prob, right about szczur and Ha going to Iowa.. Jackson, i think will get another shot as long as he doesnt TailSpin by July..

their going to need at least one of these two to step up and take a spot next year in jackson or bogusevis if they trade off all 3 Ofers, otherwise besides trying to get ellsbury, they may be looking to grab a couple of stop gaps again to fill in until Almora and Soler are ready.

One of the other big thing they need to happen in a positive way is for Vitters to take that step and claim 3B for them this year, otherwise thats going to be another headache this off season trying to find someone to take that spot Via trade because like you said not much available Via FA.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
their going to need at least one of these two to step up and take a spot next year in jackson or bogusevis if they trade off all 3 Ofers, otherwise besides trying to get ellsbury, they may be looking to grab a couple of stop gaps again to fill in until Almora and Soler are ready.

What I would do:

1. Trade Dejesus. He is an easy flip. Replace with Sweeney and Borbon for now.

2. Field offers on Schierholtz. Some GM is going to look at him as a full time player vs the doltz that believe he is a platoon player here. Nate IMO is being held back with the platoon. Stupid management IMO. Promote Bog to play CF and move Sweeney to RF after trading.

3. Trade Hairston. Hopefully some GM figures that his lack of production is due to a lack of constant AB's and has a more constant need. Another brain-trust moment.

Sori I do not believe has trade value anymore. The one thing he would have value for would be his HR production. 4... 1 in 43 AB's. .262/.291/.395...no one would bother and I believe last year was it for him. He has taken the plunge to retirement. None of this lacking is due to injury. Knees are fine. He doesn't have it anymore. Real question is eat it or play it out.

Jackson as I said would have to pull a 180. His trend shows a talent cap off. He has peaked and it is not good enough.

Now if they eat Sori's deal:

Sign Jacoby for CF. Almora would be in Daytona. Soler probley AA to start the year. Szczur AAA. Wouldn't depend on him.

I'd sign a RF/LF.

F/A: Nate McLouth, Delmon Young, Jeff Francoeur Short term guys in general.

I believe they could get Soler on the team in 2014. Almora 2015. That point the OF would be set up. If they meet their potential.

So 1 year deal with 1 2 year deal with other. Wouldn't mind seeing Delmond Young in LF. Looks like he could hit 20 HR's in a full time role for a year or 2.

That is if Sori cant get it going...I'd cut the losses and sign a younger stop gap like Young.