State of the Cap

Dchicago

Liked Posts:
Suh would be a good fit, but what he will want in cap....save.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
We dont even have a coach yet

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I seen none of those in your response hometown jimmy. I did see a disgruntled hometown jimmy reply- and to think your rep says hometown jimmy is just really nice? Hometown Jimmy please don't get off topic.

When the Cowboys lose sunday you won't be seen again.

Dchicago

Liked Posts:
When the Cowboys lose sunday you won't be seen again.[/QUOTE

Well, I am not rooting for the packers. I just think the Cowboys will win, and the Panthers will cover the spread. Could I be wrong? Yes. I don't think suh will be a bear, especially with what he will want. Also, other needs. Picking early in the draft is a huge advantage if Marshall Stays. Talent is already on the offense.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
i cant see any of those players being cut if pace wants the bears to be a competitive team, cutting marshall leaving only alshon and wilson(who showed virtually nothing the last few game)

As for forte, pace wants to be a strong running team due to the weather that is chicago, with only carey i dont see forte being cut. The bears could get forte to agree to a 2yr extension in which they can lower his cap number.

houston could be cut but really have poor depth behind with the likes or washington and bass...keeping him for at least 1 more year makes sense, he's versatile and can play multiple positions. the only one up for an extension is jeffrey and whether to resign paea.

Suh is not coming to the bears, he turned down all deals with lions during the season and has said he wants to be the highest paid defensive player which means his deal will be right around or slightly better than watt's deal which was 6yr 100 (20 guaranteed)..

JPP is a very risky pick, hes done little after exploding onto the scene in his first few years...multiple injuries have slowed him down and questions about his work ethic have come up...the bears could land him in an incentive laden deal much like the one melton got but my gut says he goes back to ny on a 1yr deal to rehab his value.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not a bad TE? Playing like one of the best in the league

He's also 27 years old and signed through 2016. I think the smart thing to do is let him play through this season and if he performs at the same level, sign him to an extension. The new QB needs weapons. Having Bennett, Forte and Jeffery will help. Speaking of, they should also extend Jeffery this offseason year.

I keep saying it, but the most important thing the team has to do is find and develop a quarterback. Everything should be focused on "how do we develop the new QB", "how soon can we realistically compete with the new QB" and "what state is the rest of the team going to be in when we get there."

The soonest they're going to be able to compete for a Super Bowl is 2016. 2017 is more realistic. That would be a quick turnaround.

So with any cap question, it shouldn't be about what guys they can cut this season so they can go nuts in free agency. That's not how you build a team, and they're not gonna win shit this season anyway. They should be looking ahead to the cap implications in 2016 and 2017.

If you look at Forte, there are no cap implications beyond this year because it's the last year of his contract. You're not killing off future dead money by cutting him.

Forte would also be valuable in helping to develop a QB. You're not gonna get much in return for him, either. I'd keep him and if he plays well again, I'd re-sign him to a two-year extension (or a four-year with two years guaranteed) before the season's over and take some of the hit on this year's cap.

I'd also keep Bushrod and Slauson. And in this year's draft, I'd take a tackle and a center. If there's an elite tackle prospect at 7, take him. Start the season with Bushrod-Slauson-Garza-Long-Rookie. When the rookie center is ready, have him take over for Garza. Slide the rookie tackle to LT in 2016. Give the new QB a line and give him weapons.

When it comes to Marshall, if he's gonna help with the new QB's development, keep him. If he's not, find someone to trade for him (can't cut him since 2015 is guaranteed). You'd save $4 million on this year's cap by trading him, but the bigger thing is that his $10M cap hit in 2016 would be completely wiped out. But none of us know if he would help or not. We're not in the locker room. We don't know the guy.

As far as the defense is concerned, there's not much room to do anything. I'd re-sign Paea. Paea would be my big free agent signing this offseason. That's it.

There's no reason to get rid of someone like Houston. It doesn't save much to cut him, and he's been a great player except for the one year he played for Trestman and Tucker.

Cutting Tim Jennings would actually reduce cap space and he should be a decent nickel if nothing else, so that makes no sense.

The next few years should be about building a young nucleus of talent and using the cap space to re-sign those players. When those guys (especially the QB) is ready to go deep in the playoffs, use free agency to fill the two or three holes in your roster. You don't build half of the team through free agency like the Bears have done for awhile.

I rambled on for a bit there. Sorry. I know there's a better way to organize that information. I took a benny trying to get to sleep, and it's starting to kick in.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It would seem that we have decent cap space and not a lot of players worth cutting. I do expect Jared Allen gone after next year. 8 million is a lot of bank to save on him.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
i cant see any of those players being cut if pace wants the bears to be a competitive team, cutting marshall leaving only alshon and wilson(who showed virtually nothing the last few game)

As for forte, pace wants to be a strong running team due to the weather that is chicago, with only carey i dont see forte being cut. The bears could get forte to agree to a 2yr extension in which they can lower his cap number.

houston could be cut but really have poor depth behind with the likes or washington and bass...keeping him for at least 1 more year makes sense, he's versatile and can play multiple positions. the only one up for an extension is jeffrey and whether to resign paea.

Suh is not coming to the bears, he turned down all deals with lions during the season and has said he wants to be the highest paid defensive player which means his deal will be right around or slightly better than watt's deal which was 6yr 100 (20 guaranteed)..

JPP is a very risky pick, hes done little after exploding onto the scene in his first few years...multiple injuries have slowed him down and questions about his work ethic have come up...the bears could land him in an incentive laden deal much like the one melton got but my gut says he goes back to ny on a 1yr deal to rehab his value.

could always trade/cut forte and then draft a guy like todd gurley or tj yeldon in 2nd/3rd round area

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
holy shitballs its gonna be a long offseason for sure

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
stand pat with the guys you have and build through the draft

im hopefull we now have the right gm in place and he will find the right hc and we see them build a consistant winner and for once continuity on the offensive side of the ball get all the young qb's or new qb's ya want but if they are put into 9 different systems in their career here they will be shit

KingDarude7

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
stand pat with the guys you have and build through the draft

im hopefull we now have the right gm in place and he will find the right hc and we see them build a consistant winner and for once continuity on the offensive side of the ball get all the young qb's or new qb's ya want but if they are put into 9 different systems in their career here they will be shit

I thought we were supposed to trade players like Kyle Long, Alshon Jeffrey etc. For picks for a chance to possibly get an elite player who won't be better. At least some people think that and I can't see any justification behind that.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only player it makes a lot of sense to cut in order to most help your cap situation is Forte.

From listening to the type of player leaders the new GM is looking for, it would also make sense that Marshall stays and Cutler is traded.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
yes but we don't need to be signing a bunch of fa we need to be bringing in young guys and building a core dropping forte only makes a hole that needs filled and is pointless imo

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
draft guys scout the udfas find the gems fill the roster with youth coach them up build a solid young core that will be able to compete for years to come.

sure you wont find a ton of stars in the udfa ranks but u will find role players and guys who can develop into solid depth and you use your draft picks to find and land the star players u need

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
free agency should only be used to find that one or two missing pieces u think u need not as your team building priority

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Bears have too many other needs like S, LB, T, deep reciever, pass rushing Dlinemen to be cutting good impact players like marshall and forte.. and even cutler for that matter to have to replace them along with getting the other players...

With Pace admitting he gonna be a best available player type in draft, i could see him making draft deals to load up on picks in later rounds. .

I also dont see them going out and bringing in a high priced FA but rather 2-3 reasonable priced ones to fill needs..

This coming season is going go be about getting a little bit younger while still competing for the playoffs. .

Reactions: WCL

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
Rumor has it Terrell Owens is a free agent. League min. awesome!

No really Suh will not be a bear. Mark this down, as I predicted Ohio State making the playoffs when they were ranked 6th. I predicted the Cowboys vs Bears Thursday night game to a tee with detail and was accurate. Mark this, Cowboys beat the Packers in Lambo this week. Also, the Panthers with spread over Seahawks.

I also predicted the Browns would derail when they were 7-4. I liked Isiah Crowell from the Browns. Fantasy football before season, I said Arian Foster will be underrated, and stay away from doug martin, Bent tate, and Zac Stacy- I just seen Tre Mason, and all the rams rbs before the season.

With that said, Suh will not be a bear. Dallas wins this week, and Panthers with the spread beat Seattle.

Do you want a fucking cookie Nostridomous?

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
Bears have too many other needs like S, LB, T, deep reciever, pass rushing Dlinemen to be cutting good impact players like marshall and forte.. and even cutler for that matter to have to replace them along with getting the other players...

With Pace admitting he gonna be a best available player type in draft, i could see him making draft deals to load up on picks in later rounds. .

I also dont see them going out and bringing in a high priced FA but rather 2-3 reasonable priced ones to fill needs..

This coming season is going go be about getting a little bit younger while still competing for the playoffs. .

We have a need for an impactful DT. Use the money that would go to Paea and Houston, and go get Suh. He is a true difference maker.