Steve Ronkowski's breakdown of Bears defense on 49ners 3 failed runs in redzone

theArizonaState

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To me it seems like we have the NOSE TACKLE at the conventional 3-technique spot.

Which is interesting because that is typically the strong running side. Schematically it's of note I would say.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
That kid may never learn to properly play contain. His over aggression and eagerness rather than smart fundamental football acumen is mind numbing.

Yes, it's totally unreasonable to expect a player still very much in his physical prime to improve with additional playing time at a position he's never played before.

Hodor.

Silverwulf

Liked Posts:
Yes, it's totally unreasonable to expect a player still very much in his physical prime to improve with additional playing time at a position he's never played before.

Hodor.

The astonishing thing about his quote to me, is that on the very next play, Shea actually does have outside contain responsibilities as he moves up to cover the stacked TEs.
He plays it perfectly, keeping the edge, waiting to make sure the QB doesn't still have the ball, avoids the block, and runs all the way around the play to get in on the tackle.

The very next freaking play. But clearly he'll "never" learn.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Williams was miked up for the game, go to the Bear website and take a listen, he was constantly complaining to the coaches his assignments were taking him away from the plays.

I was going to point them in this direction as well. And as I said in an earlier thread, a big problem last year was people just doing their own damn thing. Better to be in position and not called upon, than to be needed and not be there.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

Hodor.

Containment responsibility is basic level stuff that McClellin has failed at over the last three years, why hasn't he gotten better at it by now?

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
All I can say about Shea is that finally he's making some plays and in the end analysis isnt that what we need ?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And Emery wanted to put him at LB over a year ago. He was drafted as a possible speed rush end for Lovie knowing that he should make a good LB is that didn't work out. The transition was put on hold for a year due to our circumstances. Made it very hard to know what we had in terms of draft value and we won't know for sure until the start of next year, once the LB rotation will likely be finalized but he seems to be getting much better at his assignments and anticipation.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anytime you can draft a project pass rusher with a mid-first round pick , you gotta send in that card.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Containment responsibility is basic level stuff that McClellin has failed at over the last three years, why hasn't he gotten better at it by now?

There's an obvious answer to this question, but I think it would be insulting to point it out.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Right now, my assessment of Shea is that he is less bad at LB than he was as DE and that's about it.

KingDarude7

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Idiot51 thinks a player should have the responsibilities of 3 or 4 different players. I mean does he bitch just to bitch or is he lost?

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Good god I watched that first play again and watch how badly McClellin gives up contain on that play. The Bears are lucky as hell that Fuller was there otherwise that would have been another god damn Shea play.

That kid may never learn to properly play contain. His over aggression and eagerness rather than smart fundamental football acumen is mind numbing.

WTF are you talking about? Sutton got taken right out of the play, within .5 second of the ball being snapped. The play was desingned, and was Gore going to run it through that B gap, had Ego not muscled his guy, and plug it up before Frank got up to the line. And with Ego over there, and Young still engaged in a block, the right play to make, was for Shea to step up in the now open A gap, and force Gore to run parallel down the line and allow the defense to recover and pursue. Had Shea stayed out to "keep contain", Gore would have been able to hit that A gap, and nothing short of a spectacular tackle from Young would have prevented the TD.

Shea played it correctly. The double of Sutton caused a breakdown of the D. Ego did the best he could, to take away the initial design of the play, but in doing that, he left the B gap open. Shea took that away.

You clearly have an agenda here. Shea played very well that down.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thibetanus

Liked Posts:
WTF are you talking about? Sutton got taken right out of the play, within .5 second of the ball being snapped. The play was desingned, and was Gore going to run it through that B gap, had Ego not muscled his guy, and plug it up before Frank got up to the line. And with Ego over there, and Young still engaged in a block, the right play to make, was for Shea to step up in the now open A gap, and force Gore to run parallel down the line and allow the defense to recover and pursue. Had Shea stayed out to "keep contain", Gore would have been able to hit that A gap, and nothing short of a spectacular tackle from Young would have prevented the TD.

Shea played it correctly. The double of Sutton caused a breakdown of the D. Ego did the best he could, to take away the initial design of the play, but in doing that, he left the B gap open. Shea took that away.

You clearly have an agenda here. Shea played very well that down.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thank you for this, I felt like Shea was doing the right thing, but you explained it so I could understand why he was doing the right thing.