Steve Smith Big Brother to Anthony Miller

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Gotta love Steve Smith and his swag..

Steve Smith Sr. is remembered as one of the biggest trash talkers in the NFL. It’s not hard to understand why. He had loads of people telling him his entire life he couldn’t succeed in football because he was too small. What can a 5’9 kid do in modern football? Five Pro Bowls, 14,000+ yards and 81 touchdowns later he didn’t hear them talking anymore. So he knows what Anthony Miller is going through.

According to Dan Wiederer of the Chicago Tribune, Smith has transitioned effortlessly into an analyst role for NFL Network. He works at the scouting combine during the wide receiver days each year and is quite good at it. That shouldn’t be a surprise. He, like everybody else, knew who the likely top players at the position would be going into the draft.

What he wanted to find were those who might be like him. An overlooked stud that would go in the second or third rounds because he was too short, too old or not quite fast enough. It didn’t take him long to zero in on Miller, who’d been a star at Memphis. What impressed Smith the most about him was how hard he worked and how quickly he improved his game during college.

So when the two finally met, it’s no surprise they struck up a sort of big brother-little brother friendship.

Steve Smith making sure to not let Anthony Miller get full of himself
Smith knows a thing or two about self-confidence. He also knows how it can be a double-edged sword. It spurred him to amazing heights during his career, but it can also drift into the realm of overconfidence and humble one at times. That’s why when he and Miller exchanged phone numbers and began conversing, he didn’t hesitate to smack the youngster down whenever he got a big head.

SMITH ADMIRES MILLER’S SELF-CONFIDENCE, MENTAL TOUGHNESS AND WILLINGNESS TO WORK. THE TWO KEEP IN TOUCH VIA TEXT. THEY CROSSED PATHS AT THE NFLPA’S ROOKIE PREMIERE EVENT THIS SPRING AND AGAIN AT THE HALL OF FAME GAME IN AUGUST.

AT THAT POINT, MILLER WAS PUTTING TOGETHER AN IMPRESSIVE TRAINING CAMP FOR THE BEARS, SO MUCH SO THAT HE WAS GIVEN THAT NIGHT OFF IN CANTON, OHIO, AS A LIKELY WEEK 1 STARTER. MILLER KEPT TELLING SMITH HOW READY HE WAS TO PLAY.

THE FIVE-TIME PRO BOWL RECEIVER RESPONDED: “COME ON, YOUNG PUP! YOU’RE NOT READY!”

“I WAS JUST KIND OF MESSING WITH HIM,” SMITH SAID. “AND HE LOVED IT. BECAUSE HE WAS LIKE, ‘I WANT TO PROVE YOU WRONG.’ BUT HE FORGOT, HE DOESN’T HAVE TO PROVE ME WRONG. I’VE ALREADY BEEN VOTING FOR HIM. STILL, I LOVE THAT EAGERNESS AND ENTHUSIASM.”

Miller is one of those guys who thrives on being doubted. The more people say he can’t, the harder he works to show them he can. It’s why he’s looked like a polished veteran so quickly in this offense. Smith can see it because he was the exact same way. There’s a reason Miller has idolized the man since he fell in love with football. The two are so much alike.

The Bears have kept their plans for him under lock and key for the past month. Green Bay will be the first team to see what that is on opening night. Smith has no doubt they’re in for a surprise.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Ocho Cinco and Steve Smith must really see skill in him.

oober

Liked Posts:
Just keep that chip kid.... You can be as good as you want to then... I

KingInTheNorth

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I can't wait until A Miller lights up the NFC North. He seems like the type of player that will show up big in these divisional games.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Mitch...…….just get the ball out quick into your playmakers hands. Let Miller and the rest of them make you kook good.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't wait until A Miller lights up the NFC North. He seems like the type of player that will show up big in these divisional games.

Looking at his college highlights he's electric, pass the pigskin to him and watch him run. He looks like he could be special.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
1. Fuck you Steve Smith for killing the Bears.
2. Thank you Steve Smith for helping out Miller.

Smith is always pissed and ready for a fight, the very definition of a Napoleon complex.

I don't think he was joking in this.
[video=youtube;LT1gwxkApao]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT1gwxkApao[/video]

Irvin is twice his size, but I would bet the farm on Smith.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Smith is always pissed and ready for a fight, the very definition of a Napoleon complex.

I expect he will be doing time at some point. A violent person to the core, I see it in his crazy eyes.

Mauled By Bears

Liked Posts:
There’s not a player I’m more excited to see in action this year than Miller.

Well, except Mack.

And Trubs.

And Robinson.

And Burton.

And Howard.

And...

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There’s not a player I’m more excited to see in action this year than Miller.

Well, except Mack.

And Trubs.

And Robinson.

And Burton.

And Howard.

And...

Howard could end up shocking Bears nation if all of his work on developing his catching skills plays out with some receptions. What a weapon he would be as a viable receiver coupled with his rushing contributes.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Love Miller's swag along with solid dose of tempered humility. He's right at the edge of confidence. I love that he legit feels ready for the O to surprise...not just about him. He's talking up Mitch & everybody.

I hated that Bears couldn't stop Smith from tearing up 200+ yards vs. CAR back in the day. That sucked, then his antics to boot. Jump-leg-hugging the upright post n all. Grrr. He owes Bears some help in training Miller.

Crazy enough I kinda like him behind the mic. Pretty composed and accurate in what he says, unlike the majority of blabbermouth former players who never say anything significant & just repeat what others say.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I've always been a big fan of Steve Smith, and I do like him as an analyst. If Anthony Miller is anything like him, this offense is going to be fucking good.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers