Stockton Would Have Had MVP's

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I think you are arguing with yourself here...by the way the boys in the league now are very talented at the pg position...I think Chris Paul could hold his own against Stockton and Nash with no problem...

Liked Posts:
When Stockton retired he didn't really seem to have dropped as grotesquely as many great and good players do (Moses Malone averaging 1.8 points a game, David Robinson CLEARLY no longer being David Robinson his last season, etc.)

Even though he had played 19 seasons I still thought that if he wanted to, Stockton could have played at least 2 or 3 more seasons.

Chris Paul and Deron Williams are excellent, sensational point guards. Maybe they could hold their own...i don't think that's irrational.

I was just saying that in 2004-2005 as well as 2005-2006 Stockton, had he put those same numbers up or had the same seasons he did, would have been more valuable than Nash was, who had lower numbers.

When the Chris Pauls and LeBron's began to blossom though and Kobe got another title though there's no way. I just had those early seasons in mind when Nash was winning them.

Anyway, I know all of this is just fantasy and "What if." Not always very fair to think about, given all the assumptions that need to be made. Just interesting to me.

Thanks for your feedback everyone.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
There is NOOOOOOOOO WAY I take Stockton over Magic...I don't take Stockton over Isiah for that matter....but Magic Johnson? Not even close man.....

Stockton was a franchise pg...Magic was a franchise player...you build teams around guys like Magic Johnson. No contest...

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just thought I'd clarify, I call Stockton the best pure PG ever because I consider Magic just a player. I mean, he could play all 5 positions if necessary, though he was mainly a PG. However to me, if he could do that, he's not really a pure PG. Just how I look at it though.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Magic was versatile...but besides defense, which he was horrible at...he was as "pure" a point guard as Stockton. Are you looking at height? Weight? Magic could facilitate an offense as well as any point guard I have ever seen. Won 5 rings mostly because of Showtime...the conductor of Showtime was Magic Johnson...

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
houheffna wrote:
Magic was versatile...but besides defense, which he was horrible at...he was as "pure" a point guard as Stockton. Are you looking at height? Weight? Magic could facilitate an offense as well as any point guard I have ever seen. Won 5 rings mostly because of Showtime...the conductor of Showtime was Magic Johnson...
This is not to say that Magic is not the best PG I've ever seen, but he didn't spend 100% of his time at the point every game for the duration of his career. That's what I call "pure" PG. Height and weight have nothing to do with it. It's strictly playing the at the PG position (to me that's players like Stockton, Nash, Kidd, CP3, etc). In terms of skill, Magic was every bit as pure as any PG you could think of.

Liked Posts:
I find it remarkable Nash is currently averaging 18.7 and 11.2. Stats-wise that's BETTER than what he was averaging 5 seasons ago! Not bad for a 36-year old point guard.

Not that he should get the MVP this year...just saying he's doing well for an old guard. He's out assisting Chris Paul and Deron Williams!

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
He's also still hitting 43% from 3 over a large number of attempts at age 35. Three point shooters tend to start to decline in their early thirties, Nash is still hitting his insanely good career averages. He's also a good chance to end up leading the league in TS%, not bad for a 35 year old PG.