CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
We have the second most money available heading into free agency next season.

Slacker

Liked Posts:
We have the second most money available heading into free agency next season.
Sorry, but every time I hear someone make an unqualified statement like that it makes me shake my head. With the 2014 salary cap expected to be roughly 121 million and the Bears having only 80 million commited for 2014 that means they have roughly 41 million to play with. However the amount of salary cap available means nothing without qualifying how many players are under contract. According to those cap numbers, here are the people that not Chicago Bear players in 2014:

Jay Cutler
Henry Melton
Charles Tillman
Tim Jennings
Devin Hester
Robbie Gould
Roberto Garza
Major Wright
Corey Wootton
DJ Williams
James Anderson
Blake Costanzo
Patrick Mannelly
Craig Steltz
Matt Slauson
Sherrick McManis
Nate Collins
Kelvin Hayden
Zachary Bowman
Josh McCown
Dante Rosario
Anthony Walters
Ebon Britton
Jonathan Scott
Landon Cohen

(These 25 players count roughly 53.3 million against the cap in 2013)

Now start putting salary numbers to those players and save back some to sign your draft class and see where you wind up. Suddenly the 41 million doesn't look so big. The good thing Chicago does have going for it that their dead money is only about 1 million for 2014, and then will be completely off the books from 2015 on.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Any update on the salary restructures and/or the Robbie Gould release?

Perhaps you missed the part of the post you quoted in which I said I am not suggesting we do all these deals.

Furthermore as I said there was really nothing to worry about salary cap wise. We made all the deals we wanted to.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have seen a lot of people concerned by the fact we only have 10.5 million in salary cap space so I decided to look at the numbers and prove that number is misleading. I am not suggesting all these cuts or resignings have to occur but just showing you how Cliff Stein's cap management over the years has given us a lot of flexibility. Right now we have only 70 million committed to the 2014 Cap and 45 million committed to the 2015 Cap. So we have 51 million in cap space in 2014 and 76 million in cap space in 2015. I don't have numbers for 2016 and 2017 but you can be sure that there is even less money committed to those years as only guys with long term deals like Forte would have any money committed in those years. So with that said, here is how that 10.5 million can easily be increased.

1. If we choose to we can borrow 1.5 million against a future cap year from 2014 and 2017. New Cap Space = 12 million. Reduction in 2015 Cap Space from 76 million to 74.5 million.

2. The following playings can be cut for up cap savings of approximately 16.5 million (Gould, Davis, Bennet, Garza, Hester, Spaeth, Big Toe, Mannelly, Costanzo). New Cap Space = 28.5 million.

3. The following playsers can restructured to create 27.5 million in Cap Space in 2014, 4.5 million in cap space in 2014 and reduce cap space by 16 million in 2015, 42.5 million in 2016, 47 million in 2017 (Peppers, Tillman, Jennings, Marshall, Briggs. So new Cap Space = 56 million this year, 55.6 million in 2014 and 58.5 million in 2015.

So the moral of the story. If there is anyone on the Bears to trust, it is Cliff Stein. He knows what he is doing. I am not suggesting we do all of these deals and I can back up any of the cuts or restructures with numbers to prove how it works but didn't want to include all the detail as the post would be massive. The only guy who is problematic is Peppers because restructuring him would involve him taking a pay cut but only if he legitimately thought he would be getting 14 million and 16.5 million as a 34 or 35 year old. More likely he and his agent being Tar Heel grads like me understood those final two years were just there to make the overall numbers look pretty.

Either, way, stop crying. We are fine from a cap perspective.
Cut Gould immediately after extending him - brilliant!

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Seriously? Now we're bumping year and a half old threads?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's just Rory being Rory so what do you expect.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Seriously? Now we're bumping year and a half old threads?

It's just Rory being Rory so what do you expect.

Cut Gould immediately after extending him - brilliant!

Well guess Rory probably got hard once he read this and figured out you fell for his trap. This thread was about last offseason when everyone was crying about the Bears not having salary cap space. Then the Bears went out and signed a bunch of players proving people like Rory wrong and I guess he still has sour grapes a year later.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
After Gould cost us a couple games and then made his idiotic comments about spoiling a lot of people, I couldn't care less about him. Kickers should be seen and not heard. They shouldn't miss chip shot game winners and then go on how they spoiled people and at one point, even compared himself to Michael Jordan. I can't remember if that was this year or last. Bring someone else in for less money to miss 37 yarders.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Would draft the FSU Kicker in 5th round and say goodbye to Gould. At least I know that there will be more touchbacks and that makes better kickoff coverage.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Any update on Robbie Gould's contract situation? It looks like he is going to count for $4.1M against the 2016 cap...would the Bears be better off taking the $1.2M cap hit and parting ways?

I don't think so. The guy is still a good kicker. ON a team which has so many not good players, they should pay the good ones:)

RisWell01

Liked Posts:
Any update on Robbie Gould's contract situation? It looks like he is going to count for $4.1M against the 2016 cap...would the Bears be better off taking the $1.2M cap hit and parting ways?
He is a good kicker but at $4.1M you better be one of the best. Bears can get a good kicker for under or around a million. You also got to throw in the fact we are not even a playoff caliber team so its even more pointless.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

mecha

Liked Posts:
he missed kicks with a new longsnapper. and then he stopped missing kicks. and I'm still trying to get the answer as to why they've changed LS's like underwear since Mannelly retired.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Rory with the #calledit