Strained hamstring puts Russell out of NLCS

Ron Burgundy

Cubs shortstop Addison Russell will miss the entire National League Championship Series because of what manager Joe Maddon called a moderate hamstring strain in his left leg.

More...

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
crap. okay, baez, now is your time!

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Russell's a phenomenal player, an ace defender, and steady hand -- but man, thank God for Javi. Javi can straight up ball. If any team can withstand losing their starting SS, it's us.

Can't wait for the game tonight so we can find out who our opponent is and get it on.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I love Russell, and am disappointed he has this significant of an injury, but I am also excited to see what Javy can do in his place.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Big loss, but he will be back for the WS.

He will be back for the World Series, but is it a big loss with Baez? I know Baez had that error but he's a pretty clean defender. And the dude can yoke HR's too.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hard to say. Russell has to be one ofthetop D SS in baseball right now. Baez is not that good. But his bat should change the line up dynamic. Gives Soler, Bryant, Baez, Rizzo and Schwarber can just mash any mistake. Not really

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Big loss, but he will be back for the WS.

Russell will probably be needed more for his defense in the WS, imo. The great thing is Beaz is not much of a dropoff defensively, and brings more power to the plate. Nothing like being loaded with studs on the roster!

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Let's pray he has better medical care and on a different rehab program than Alshon.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Javy's glove isn't too much of a drop off, and his bat is an upgrade. So it's almost a wash. We shoudl still be fine as long as our offense shows up and our pitching doesn't blow it.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
Speaking of the game though, is there a confirmed time for Game 1 on Saturday? I'm trying to plan out my day and can't find it anywhere

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Anyone STILL interested in trading off our depth for pitching? Baez? Soler? Castro? This is a perfect example why they should buy their pitching upgrades on the free agent market. Could the Cubs withstand an injury onslaught like the Cardinals had? Not if they start trading off the incredible depth they've accumulated this off season.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have no problem with Baez starting in place of Russell.....just sucks the bench is weaker

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Addison has been consistant, I just love the kid.
Glad Madden has moved guys around all season.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah...the depth is so strong you cannot really say if this will effect the Cubs negatively or will work in their favor by ensuring Castro is in the lineup and Baez is getting more at bats.

This is fitting destiny in a way, to give Castro his clear opportunity one last season before likely being shipped out. I would like to see him win it all.

I have some crow to eat regarding Cubs pitching. I believe I said they didn't have enough at the start of season to make the playoffs. The acquisitions along the way helped but were not enough to influence how far ahead the Cubs got in the wild card race. I failed to see Arrieta as an ace, or the 3,4,5 guys as quality starters.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Yeah...the depth is so strong you cannot really say if this will effect the Cubs negatively or will work in their favor by ensuring Castro is in the lineup and Baez is getting more at bats.

This is fitting destiny in a way, to give Castro his clear opportunity one last season before likely being shipped out. I would like to see him win it all.

I have some crow to eat regarding Cubs pitching. I believe I said they didn't have enough at the start of season to make the playoffs. The acquisitions along the way helped but were not enough to influence how far ahead the Cubs got in the wild card race. I failed to see Arrieta as an ace, or the 3,4,5 guys as quality starters.

I'm not sure Castro is going anywhere. The guy's had an epic renaissance the past few months. Plus he's on an affordable contract and gives us incredible depth the versatile trio of Russell, Baez, and Castro.

Unless we get a stud pitcher, I'd be apprehensive to move him.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:

I have to eat a lot more crow than you. I owe the entire Cubs organization an apology. When we traded the Shark, I was livid.

LMAO. The Shark is a 4th starter now and Addison Russell is the best up and coming SS's in the game.

Oops.