My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Not sure if serious.

Whenever you don't hire the best candidate you deserve to be fired. Sports or otherwise.

I'd go as far to say that whenever you don't try your best to succeed, you deserve to be fired, sports or otherwise.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Letting Ryno go the Phillies was plain stupid no matter how you look at it.

1. Cubs would have won 10-15 games more than Quade. Nothing huge in itself, but Sandburg knew the team was in re-build mode long before fans did.
2. The hire would have sold more tics.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

1. Cubs would have won 10-15 games more than Quade. Nothing huge in itself, but Sandburg knew the team was in re-build mode long before fans did.
2. The hire would have sold more tics.

Looking at it from the opposite perspective, what if Ryno didn't win those extra 10-15 ballgames? What if in rebuild mode the team looked really bad? Would you want to fire a popular, legendary Cub? Now don't get me wrong. I think Sandberg would have been a good choice.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
On what basis ? Seriously? On the basis of knowing he is going to be the sacrificial lamb. Good soldier.

I'd rather have Sveum as the sacraficial lamb over Rhino. Nothing good could come from bringing in Rhino in that situation.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Looking at it from the opposite perspective, what if Ryno didn't win those extra 10-15 ballgames? What if in rebuild mode the team looked really bad? Would you want to fire a popular, legendary Cub? Now don't get me wrong. I think Sandberg would have been a good choice.

That was one argument against his hiring/promotion, but I think fans are smart enough to recognize the true source of the team's problems...and it's rarely the manager. Well, almost...Piniella couldn't even remember his own player names/fill out a line-up card.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

1. Cubs would have won 10-15 games more than Quade.

There is no manager in the history of the sport that would make a difference of 10-15 games in a season.