Sveum to learn his fate on Monday..

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see Mike Maddux leaving Texas for a lateral move, and I don't see Greg going anywhere without Mike at the moment. I think the best hope for that is that Texas sneaks into postseason and makes a deep enough run to keep Washington in TX. Then Mike Maddux might be more open to coming to the Cubs with the big talent in the minors looming on the near horizon.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see Mike Maddux leaving Texas for a lateral move, and I don't see Greg going anywhere without Mike at the moment. I think the best hope for that is that Texas sneaks into postseason and makes a deep enough run to keep Washington in TX. Then Mike Maddux might be more open to coming to the Cubs with the big talent in the minors looming on the near horizon.

They wanted Maddux over Sveum when Sveum was hired. I wonder if they said they would come back around later. Or if Maddux had any change of heart?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It would have to be Joe or stick with Dale. Joe has tied with the Cubs and a ring. He has had a solid track record with young teams while in Fla. So this is not new stuff.

It is pretty no brainier,.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
I always thought Sveum was going to be a sacrificial lamb to begin with.
I think his fate will be decided by how much the media plays out how this team has regressed.
And if he does get shit canned, it will buy the FO a few more years.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Yeah, like firing another manager is going to change anything. The Cubs are a shit organization, no manager past, present or future can change that.

And this rebuilding bull crap will fail. The only way to remove the legacy of losing is to win, NOW, not five years from now. They have the money to do it, Cubs fans are just too stupid to hold anyone in that organization accountable. All those idiots care about is getting drunk and stuffing their face with overpriced food at that shitstain of a stadium that every player in the league hates playing in... suckers.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yeah, like firing another manager is going to change anything. The Cubs are a shit organization, no manager past, present or future can change that.

And this rebuilding bull crap will fail. The only way to remove the legacy of losing is to win, NOW, not five years from now. They have the money to do it, Cubs fans are just too stupid to hold anyone in that organization accountable. All those idiots care about is getting drunk and stuffing their face with overpriced food at that shitstain of a stadium that every player in the league hates playing in... suckers.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/base...ect-has-taken-on-as-much-fiction-as-fact.html

It’s not often you see three clinching games in as many days at the same ballpark. But the Cubs reached another mile marker Tuesday by clinching a last-place finish for the first time since 2006. They got to watch the Atlanta Braves celebrate a division title Sunday and the Pittsburgh Pirates at least a wild-card berth Monday.

How quickly will the on-field misery for players and fans continue? How many more doomed-from-the-start seasons will be endured until somebody besides the opponent is celebrating at Wrigley?

Feel free to debate the merits of “In Theo We Trust” and “Wait Till Next Year.” But beware of at least a few of the more common myths surrounding this team and this rebuilding process:

Myth 1: Theo Epstein is an Ivy League genius who’s ahead of the curve among baseball executives when it comes to the latest analytics and new frontiers in competitive advantage.

Fact: Yes, he’s an Ivy League grad (Yale). And maybe he’s a genius. He often is referred to as the smartest guy in the room by baseball people — albeit ironically by some critics, if sincerely by his close associates.

But as smart as he and his trusted colleagues are, he and a select few executives haven’t been ahead of the curve for much of the last decade. The so-called “Moneyball” phenomenon has filled front offices coast-to-coast with top-heavy, often Ivy League-educated management teams, each with proprietary information/analysis systems, countless law degrees and Wall Street-caliber cost-to-value management skills.

Myth 2: The Cubs are a big-market, big-revenue team capable of using their financial muscle to do to the National League Central what the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox have done to the American League East for years.

Fact: The Cubs used to have a significant revenue advantage over the rest of the division and, according to Forbes, were the most profitable team in the majors last year. But new ownership has abdicated that position for four seasons through its highly leveraged purchase (the profitability ranking has as much to do with decreased baseball spending). Chairman Tom Ricketts — who admits debt management is a factor in current baseball spending — has suggested repeatedly that the baseball budget won’t be restored until new ballpark and television revenues are realized, which is likely at least a year away.

Bottom line: The Cubs are effectively, as one sports economist said, behaving like a “mid-market team.”

Myth 3: Epstein has done this before successfully.

Fact: Not even close. He won the World Series twice as the general manager of his hometown Boston Red Sox, in 2004 and 2007, but only after inheriting a 2003 team that had five consecutive winning seasons (the last with 93 wins), two 20-game winners in 2002 (Pedro Martinez and Derek Lowe), Jason Varitek behind the plate and Manny Ramirez in the middle of the order. Then David Ortiz fell out of the sky when the Minnesota Twins couldn’t afford to go through arbitration and non-tendered him.

Even the 2007 team, which featured Epstein acquisitions Curt Schilling and Daisuke Matsuzaka, along with homegrown Dustin Pedroia and late-season addition Jacoby Ellsbury, likely wouldn’t have won without Ortiz — or Varitek or Ramirez, for that matter.

Bottom line: The kind of extreme overhaul the Cubs are undergoing is like nothing Epstein has experienced in his baseball career.

Myth 4: As Ricketts told the Sun-Times this month, “There’s no other way to do it. It’s not like this is genius.”

Fact: Ricketts is right in the most basic sense about building a strong organization through player development. But sacrificing big-league seasons to rebuild the farm system — by design using free agency to sign buy-low veteran players who can be flipped for prospects during a bad season — is anathema to the premise of major-league competition and charging admission.

Never mind the argument about spending big on post-prime veterans like the Yankees and Los Angeles Dodgers have — or Epstein’s Red Sox, for that matter. But what if the Cubs had been able to afford to sign international building blocks such as Yu Darvish and Yoenis Cespedes? What would that have made 2014 look like, especially if they had the means to do more than dream this winter about going after 24-year-old Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka (20-0, 1.24 ERA, barely a walk per nine innings)?

Myth 5: This has been a bad two or three years, but it’s no big deal historically for this club. After all, these are the Cubs.

Fact: Assign whatever higher purpose you like to the early years of the Ricketts and Epstein Eras, but the Cubs have never lost more games in a two-year span than this (194), and they are just two losses short of the three-year franchise low (287 from 1960 to ’62). They weren’t charging an average of $46 per ticket in 1962, either. Even the ’62 equivalent of $6 would get you three bleacher tickets for the All-Star Game that summer at Wrigley Field.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
What happened to patq006, mountsalami, and KBisBACK? Why haven't they been weighing in on these bash Sveum topics?

They were banned here and they were banned at other places too.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Salami and KB perm I believe

Pat is unbanned I believe.

Dang. I actually liked what they brought to the table though at times it could be repetitive they made some great points. Oh well.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

[video=youtube;5baZOI8IpuA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5baZOI8IpuA[/video]

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
They would bring up the same things on every thread and would get in fights with the mods. I think it was a lil overboard by the mods but whatever not my site.

I think we gave a lot more rope than other boards, but it is a judgement call.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we gave a lot more rope than other boards, but it is a judgement call.

I been with them since CBS. Salami just likes to throw slurs out there to get rises. KB is a jackass that if he ever turned it down would have points. Pat is the one I didn't understand but he wasn't perma banned. I get it. Its not there first rodeo of being banned except Pat.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Typical myopic Cubs fans... always ignore the elephant in the room.

If I was an established big league manager, I would NEVER take a job with the Cubs. The St. Louis Cardinals and their fanbase should say prayers at night for sharing the same division with "loveable losers."

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
CSF77, this article will seem profound to most of the blue-koolaid drinkers. It is my firm belief that you don't make a major market team who hasn't won jack in 105 years wait another "3 to 4" to become competitive. I don't care what Epstein says or did with Boston. The Dodgers and Tigers spend money and are poised to win, NOW. The Yankees do it, and to a lesser extent, the Phillies and White Sox have had success spending money when it's warranted.

If this new ownership group is serious about winning a championship, the first thing they should have done is instructed the front office to find the best players available and get this proverbial monkey off of the back of the organization. Notice I said BEST available, not most overpriced average players, which the Cubs are known for. Guys like Puig or Cespedes could have, and should have been brought to the Northside. No excuses for getting outbid or out-hustled by Magic freakin Johnson. Their lack of vision or commitment to winning NOW is shocking.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

If I was an established big league manager, I would NEVER take a job with the Cubs. The St. Louis Cardinals and their fanbase should say prayers at night for sharing the same division with "loveable losers."

The "elephant in the room" has been discussed ad naseum. If you had bothered to look you can see tons of thoughtful and not so thoughtful discussion about the particular situation that the Cubs are presently in. Instead this is a typical puffing out of the chest by a fan of another team that apparently feels some sort of superiority because of their particular club of choice, and you got a response accordingly.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Don't these White Sox fans have their own terrible team to obsess over...?

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Wish I was still a mod in here.. You'd be permabanned dickhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.