Taillon's Body Language says all..

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
Did I say already, Taillon sucks? He proved again..

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Before yesterday his last 7 starts: 5-0 with a 2.52 era. I think yesterday was just a blip, as it was obvious he had bad control that game.

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
Before yesterday his last 7 starts: 5-0 with a 2.52 era. I think yesterday was just a blip, as it was obvious he had bad control that game.
Lets hope you right. Methinks the 2.52 era was blip..

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Taillon's lifetime era is over 4...his big year was with the Yanks with Judge going nuts. He's an avg to mediocre pitcher who requires good run support to win...similar in many ways to Stroman. The Cubs need to stop paying for mediocre shit and start developing their own young pitchers. You don't build a championship team by buying other people's cast offs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He had a shit game. 1 game is not a good judge. If he tanks like Sto did then get concerned

Best case is blip and Sto cames back at 1st half. That gives the Cubs a 1-3 that can pitch in play off environment.

So I don't want to wish Ill on them.

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
So I don't want to wish Ill on them.
Just to be clear, I don't want to will ill to no one, but the fact is.. Knowing the questionable starting pitching , Jed decided to buy instead of selling. Yeah, Cubbies may get lucky, win division/ wild card. Then what? After certain time they won't play bottom dwellers. All teams have pitching and can hit the ball, use the last two series as an example..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Just to be clear, I don't want to will ill to no one, but the fact is.. Knowing the questionable starting pitching , Jed decided to buy instead of selling. Yeah, Cubbies may get lucky, win division/ wild card. Then what? After certain time they won't play bottom dwellers. All teams have pitching and can hit the ball, use the last two series as an example..

Jed flipped due to Swanson convincing him that you can not hope to be a championship quality team selling off every year.

Even if they come up short what matters is exposure to the younger players on what it takes to win at that level

Jed needs to focus on this year vs next year. Cubs need to worry about winning today not next year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
My opinion is winning is a culture. Bringing in 3 players that have come from a winning culture was a smart choice.

I'm not concerned with the how far part. I'm concerned with the next game and are they in it

When the play offs hit if they miss it they were talent short and that is on Jed and his team to supply.

It is really simple when you look at it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But looking at next year Mervis is most likely a bust. PCA brings plus D so at min Almora with speed. 4 th OF is his floor.

So Bellinger makes sense paying his market. Add to it it has worked. It is not a gamble.

Pitching is going to be deep. So that is a area that Jed can be picky on what works with what is pending and carrying over.

Stro most likely walks and that is fine. Cubs have money and that is a pay roll opening.

I'm not concerned with missing out on a few maybe prospects that won't impact 2024.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
But looking at next year Mervis is most likely a bust. PCA brings plus D so at min Almora with speed. 4 th OF is his floor.

So Bellinger makes sense paying his market. Add to it it has worked. It is not a gamble.

Pitching is going to be deep. So that is a area that Jed can be picky on what works with what is pending and carrying over.

Stro most likely walks and that is fine. Cubs have money and that is a pay roll opening.

I'm not concerned with missing out on a few maybe prospects that won't impact 2024.
You're going to write Mervis off as a bust after 90 ABs in the majors?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You're going to write Mervis off as a bust after 90 ABs in the majors?

I think 1 Wisdom is enough

It is far better to extend Bellinger and promote PCA then have to gamble on 2 players cutting it.

If PCA falls short as a hitter he still is a GG lock at a primary position

If Mervis fails you have another Wisdom. Wasting roster space.

So this is more about show me the $$$ not the hype

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The formula is: “What have you done for me lately?” x 1,000.

Might have been Apr. Watching the year play out the team has not been codependent on the home run as in the past.

So ya my opinion changed. Seeing how this O click can do that.

Mervis is very limited as a player. Being a power hitter he has to be able to put up 130 wRC+ to bring value as his D lacks impact. He is not going to steal 20-30 bases. For that matter he is considered slow with his footwork. Why he is at 1B. Strong arm so OF and 3B would have increased his value. Came up as a pitcher at college so we know that his arm is strong.

Over all he has to prove it vs major league talent vs AAA talent. Unfortunately I don't see that happening in the middle of a play off chase

Even on the Cubs site PCA breaking the 28 man is more of a emergency scenario. Say Tauchman goes down for the season. Then it becomes a logical choice. Those 2 roster spots most likely goto pitching depth.

Even Killian was never given a shot last round. Came up in a role that he was not doing in the minors and sent back for a guy that has been doing it

Jed and David are not giving much opportunity in a chase to tinker. From what it sounds like Smyly will get his spot back when it comes up again. They are not gambling with unproven

Which sucks. I would love to see Horton and Wicks given a look over the last month. It is what it is. I believe Jed grabbed up a cast off lefty pen arm. So I believe the game plan is functional decisions.

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not one to bitch about where Ross puts people in the lineup as he has far more info at his finger tips than I would ever have but.....I do have a bitch about who is sitting and who isn't. Happ has been struggling for awhile now....he appears to be a bit worn down. Why not give him a second day off? He doesn't hit lefties that well, another day off today would've made a lot of sense,

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
What is a 28 man??