Take a flyer on a punter?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Matt Araiza.....

Punt God

was accused of rape, turns out he wasn't there...

Dude averaged over 50 yards a punt I believe...

msadows

Liked Posts:
I'm good.

Wasn't the rookie we had pretty decent? May not have the leg that araiza has but that isn't always good if there isn't 10 seconds of airtime for that ball. You could easily outkick your coverage team.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm good.

Wasn't the rookie we had pretty decent? May not have the leg that araiza has but that isn't always good if there isn't 10 seconds of airtime for that ball. You could easily outkick your coverage team.
There is no 10 second hang time...

the national college average is 3.86 the NFL is about 4.4
Araiza averaged 4.2 in college I believe.

That can go up with a little work in the NFL...
But the dude has a monster leg.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears punter Trenton Gill was third from last on distance and second from last on net

msadows

Liked Posts:
There is no 10 second hang time...

the national college average is 3.86 the NFL is about 4.4
Araiza averaged 4.2 in college I believe.

That can go up with a little work in the NFL...
But the dude has a monster leg.

Did you think I literally meant 10 seconds, bro?

My point is if you punt it further than everyone and have a lower average hang time than most you can outkick your coverage.

Dunno, just feel like the kid we drafted last year wasn't bad. Was pretty accurate and consistent.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

My point is if you punt it further than everyone and have a lower average hang time than most you can outkick your coverage.

Dunno, just feel like the kid we drafted last year wasn't bad. Was pretty accurate and consistent.
He was a bottom 3 punter...he was consistent alright

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Special teams is still deficient as a unit. Poor punt coverage at times and issues blocking as well. Kid will be fine, it’s not a bad idea to bring in competition but definitely not the douche canoe that was cleared of rape. He has some serious mental issues if you read the actual investigation

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Bears should absolutely bring him in, but they absolutely won't because they are spineless when it comes to this sort of thing.

I'm not even anti-Trenton Gill (measuring on punt yards is silly), its just that this guy was considered an outstanding talent for his position and I learned from the Patriots dynasty that special teams is not seldomly the differnece maker in meaningful football games.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Matt Araiza.....

Punt God

was accused of rape, turns out he wasn't there...

Dude averaged over 50 yards a punt I believe...
Sure, we can use a camp punter to rest the punter's leg, at worst. At best, we have a really strong camp battle at punter.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sure, we can use a camp punter to rest the punter's leg, at worst. At best, we have a really strong camp battle at punter.
He is going to play south of the border probably until someone's camp. Most likely some team will bring him in.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Incorrect what...he was a bottom of the league punter in distance (which has nothing to do with coverage) and net
A lot of factors influence distance. Bears were one of the league leaders in drives that died around mid-field. Which would mean he would have a much smaller field to punt into. Quit looking at just box scores.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
A lot of factors influence distance. Bears were one of the league leaders in drives that died around mid-field. Which would mean he would have a much smaller field to punt into. Quit looking at just box scores.
The Bears punter was last in the league on punts inside the 20.
Chicago was bottom 1/3 of the league in yards per drive.

In other words, the Bears didn't stall out more than other teams in the league further down the field. In fact they exited quicker than 2/3 of the entire NFL.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

In other words, the Bears didn't stall out more than other teams in the league further down the field. In fact they exited quicker than 2/3 of the entire NFL.

I’m not sure you understand math but I’ll just exit whatever half-assed explanation you are trying to give me.

msadows

Liked Posts:

Pretty sure that the link posted just above yours dont say the bears are last.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty sure that the link posted just above yours dont say the bears are last.
It also says he is not a good punter. And yes, he is still bottom of the league on distance.
I’m not sure you understand math but I’ll just exit whatever half-assed explanation you are trying to give me.
wut

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It also says he is not a good punter. And yes, he is still bottom of the league on distance.

wut
Keep trying. He’s not bottom 3. But keep looking at box scores and coming up with half assed opinions. Congrats!