Take a flyer on a punter?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Keep trying. He’s not bottom 3. But keep looking at box scores and coming up with half assed opinions. Congrats!
He's bottom 3 on distance and net, which is what I stated.

He's last in the league on punts inside the 20.

His offense did not put him in further punting down the field position as I have shown because they were bottom 1/3 of the league in drive yards.

None of that contributes to what you have said.

The Bears punter isn't great or even good. Maybe he can improve. Maybe not.

I don't understand the thought process of not wanting to improve the position. and defending the Bears, at best, sub-mediocre punter.

Its strange somebody wanting to defend this hill.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It also says he is not a good punter. And yes, he is still bottom of the league on distance.

wut

That list has him 12th. He wasn't really that bad. Dont recall seeing many shanks if any either

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not saying the dude is the second coming of Joe Theisman punting, but I'm just wondering if the Bears could do better.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That was just PPP subjective stat..
Not the total ranking

It isn't a subjective stat. It isn't opinion based but based on actual numbers. But there's not much out there when it comes to analyzing punters

"For example if you are punting from your own 48, the best possible outcome is a 51 yard punt (forcing the opposing team to start their drive at the one yard line). If you punt a ball that is fair caught at the 5, you have “gained” 47 of the 51 potential yards for your team - 47/51 = 92%. So you got a score of 92% (punt percentage) on that punt. The higher the average on your punt percentage, the better you are as a punter because you are winning the field position battle for your team. This is particularly true in a battle of punters like many Bronco games this season.

For short field punts, SFPs, the best possible outcome is downed at the 1. For long field punts, LFPs, I set the best possible outcome as a 65 yard net punt, something that most NFL punters are capable of doing.

Punt Percentage is one way to measure the performance of a punter. Other ways are touchback rate; fair catch rate; average return allowed; rate of punts downed inside the 20, the 10 or the 5; standard deviation of gross punt distance (how often do you hit terrible punts or how often do you “boom” great punts with distance and hang-time); and PPP, precision punt percentage."

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It isn't a subjective stat. It isn't opinion based but based on actual numbers. But there's not much out there when it comes to analyzing punters

"For example if you are punting from your own 48, the best possible outcome is a 51 yard punt (forcing the opposing team to start their drive at the one yard line). If you punt a ball that is fair caught at the 5, you have “gained” 47 of the 51 potential yards for your team - 47/51 = 92%. So you got a score of 92% (punt percentage) on that punt. The higher the average on your punt percentage, the better you are as a punter because you are winning the field position battle for your team. This is particularly true in a battle of punters like many Bronco games this season.

For short field punts, SFPs, the best possible outcome is downed at the 1. For long field punts, LFPs, I set the best possible outcome as a 65 yard net punt, something that most NFL punters are capable of doing.

Punt Percentage is one way to measure the performance of a punter. Other ways are touchback rate; fair catch rate; average return allowed; rate of punts downed inside the 20, the 10 or the 5; standard deviation of gross punt distance (how often do you hit terrible punts or how often do you “boom” great punts with distance and hang-time); and PPP, precision punt percentage."
yeah I erased the subject stat part..its one particular statistic, not an overall measurement of his punting.

The dude was dead last on punts inside the 20 AND was bottom 3 in distance.....just not seeing that as a great combo

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

His offense did not put him in further punting down the field position as I have shown because they were bottom 1/3 of the league in drive yards.

I don't understand the thought process of not wanting to improve the position. and defending the Bears, at best, sub-mediocre punter.

I’m done. I look at analytics; they take into account a lot of factors. Football outsiders has him sub average but not bottom 3 but someone that improved as the year went along. Im done.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Don't care about Gill, but I mean you are just factually incorrect.
1683673298006.png1683673389657.png

msadows

Liked Posts:
That list has him 12th. He wasn't really that bad. Dont recall seeing many shanks if any either

Thats why I mentioned previously that he was consistent, which it felt like to me. We could def improve on punter, but he was better than megapunt/odonell at least. I feel like a lot of these dudes with giant legs either kick it 60 yards or 30.

Whats the point of trying for a punter? With fields and co we should be punting 1 time a game max!

mecha

Liked Posts:
The ones below him didn't have enough punts to qualify for official stats or I didn't hit the next page...either one

I still want a better punter
the team has about 20 other areas of need that are more important than upgrading the punter. if he was prone to getting kicks blocked and returned for touchdowns or punts like 25 yards consistently, I would buy your theory. from what I saw last season Gill didn't do anything overly offensive that I can recall. I think Podlesh and O'Donnell were worse.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Given the Bears' offense, the punter plays a huge role every year. The more competition, the better.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
yeah I erased the subject stat part..its one particular statistic, not an overall measurement of his punting.

The dude was dead last on punts inside the 20 AND was bottom 3 in distance.....just not seeing that as a great combo
That isn't correct. The stat line doesn't add inside 10 or inside 5 to the inside 20 #, not cumulative. Easy to verify if you look at the Steelers that had 23 inside 10 and only 20 inside 20.

That said, the #s look pretty average (like he's rated) but overall, I liked the way he kicked. Though your take is overstated, I agree that no job should be beyond scrutiny or competition. I'm OK with Gill but have no issue with pushing him a bit.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
Bears should absolutely bring him in, but they absolutely won't because they are spineless when it comes to this sort of thing.

I'm not even anti-Trenton Gill (measuring on punt yards is silly), its just that this guy was considered an outstanding talent for his position and I learned from the Patriots dynasty that special teams is not seldomly the differnece maker in meaningful football games.
Spineless? If you are hiring a guy for your company, don't you look at and consider qualities and skills like character, comportment in making your decision whether or not to hire him? Seems to matter to employers, and rightly so. Is that spineless for your company or your boss?

Come on dude. This is the pros, as in short for professional. It actually IS professional to take into consideration how Araiza might affect a locker room and others on the roster. And if, as with Carter, Eberflus, Poles and the admin feel it's too big of a risk for a young roster, than I'm all for that. We've got WAY bigger roster problems than being "spineless" with the damn punter's roster spot.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I think Araiza is more talented than Gill and it is Poles job to continue to upgrade the talent on the roster.

Being him in.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Gill was okay for a rookie. You stand to gain more by him improving then signing a new punter. Big leg rarely helps in punt coverage. Inside the 20 can be heavily skewed by how good your gunners are. Too many variables to consider when just looking at stats.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
the team has about 20 other areas of need that are more important than upgrading the punter. if he was prone to getting kicks blocked and returned for touchdowns or punts like 25 yards consistently, I would buy your theory. from what I saw last season Gill didn't do anything overly offensive that I can recall. I think Podlesh and O'Donnell were worse.
You can fix more than one position at a time. I am not losing sleep over it, just thinking there could be better options

Rise

Liked Posts:
Yes they should bring him in but they won’t. Can’t have any distractions especially from a punter. Is it fair to the player not at all but this how they will view it.