1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
http://www.baseballamerica.com/toda...ganization-top-10-prospects/2013/2614277.html

Posting in Cubs forum instead of MLB Forum as my point relates to the Cubs now.

Tampa Bay's farm is STACKED, and look who comes out at #1 and at #3: former Cubs Chris Archer and Hak-Ju Lee.

Now the question is: Was the Matt Garza trade worth it?

I'd have to give an answer of no. Garza helping us win games hasn't mattered the past couple years and there is absolutely no way that, even if healthy, we are going to get an even remotely close package to that. Does anybody disagree?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
That ultimately depends on how well Archer and Lee perform in the majors. If Garza can be flipped in a trade later on to replenish the farm, then I think at worst it is a wash. Right now you had two above average MLB seasons for Garza (pre-injury) while the Rays are still waiting for the prospects to make a major difference at the MLB level. They probably shouldn't have made the trade to begin with, but Garza has been valuable. That's why I think it's a wash and even a slight win for the Cubs to this point.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Archer may be a nad piece to lose if he pitches good, Lee may have been expendable with al the MI in the farm system.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Archer may be a nad piece to lose if he pitches good, Lee may have been expendable with al the MI in the farm system.

We had "depth" in the Middle Infield at the time... that includes guys who would never (or weren't supposed to) do much in Barney, Watkins, etc. Castro was our only real piece there... so no, Lee was not just expandable because of them.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
We had "depth" in the Middle Infield at the time... that includes guys who would never (or weren't supposed to) do much in Barney, Watkins, etc. Castro was our only real piece there... so no, Lee was not just expandable because of them.

At the time of the trade I felt like Lee was the only loss in the deal. Chris Archer might turn into the pitcher Matt Tarzan is. A chance he could be even better but given his shaky at times control he could be nothing close to Garza. Guyer, Fuld and was it Chirnos are all organizational filler guys. Lee on the other hand might have been a guy to move Castro off of SS which many seem in a rush to do. I don't regret the deal because I think the value was right on Tarzan at the time. I just wish the move had been part of a better long term plan and not a desperate save my neck plan.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
At the time of the trade I felt like Lee was the only loss in the deal. Chris Archer might turn into the pitcher Matt Tarzan is. A chance he could be even better but given his shaky at times control he could be nothing close to Garza. Guyer, Fuld and was it Chirnos are all organizational filler guys. Lee on the other hand might have been a guy to move Castro off of SS which many seem in a rush to do. I don't regret the deal because I think the value was right on Tarzan at the time. I just wish the move had been part of a better long term plan and not a desperate save my neck plan.

Who is this fuckin' guy? :cubstroll:

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Before we judge this based on two players lost let's look at what Hak-Ju Lee and Chris Archer are:

Lee is a prospect because of his glove and has 5 potential, meaning that if he sticks in the majors it's going to be as an average MLB player in the middle infield. He is supposed to be a better fielder than Darwin Barney, but Barney is actually rated as the better hitter. I haven't seen Lee play defense, so I don't have an idea of what he does better, I just know that he's rated as better by scouts.

Archer is a legit SP prospect and I do think he's the one that could eventually sting down the road. The Cubs have a lack of impact talent in the Pitching dept, specifically the SP dept. Archer would have been up for the Cubs in 2012.

I think the Cubs lost this trade but the gap isn't as deep as it seems. Being rated 3 in a system can mean anything. In Lee's case it means that he has a great shot at being an MLB reg.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So lets make a list of recent former Cubs farm hands who have come up and been productive/ranked highly now in other systems.

Al Albuquerque
Sam Fuld
Chris Archer
Hak Ju Lee
Ryan Flaherty
Chris Carpenter
Clay Rapada
Casey McGehee
Brandon Guyer
Jose Ceda
Ricky Nolasco
Donnie Veal
Sean Marshall
Josh Harrison
Scott Moore
Josh Donaldson
Tyler Colvin
Andrew Cashner

Quite a few there just off the top of my head..

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
So lets make a list of recent former Cubs farm hands who have come up and been productive/ranked highly now in other systems.

Al Albuquerque
Sam Fuld
Chris Archer
Hak Ju Lee
Ryan Flaherty
Chris Carpenter
Clay Rapada
Casey McGehee
Brandon Guyer
Jose Ceda
Ricky Nolasco
Donnie Veal
Sean Marshall
Josh Harrison
Scott Moore
Josh Donaldson
Tyler Colvin
Andrew Cashner

Quite a few there just off the top of my head..

Was waiting for Lou Brock to be mentioned, but he actually played 2 nearly-full seasons in the majors, but still an extreme case of a similar concept

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Was waiting for Lou Brock to be mentioned, but he actually played 2 nearly-full seasons in the majors, but still an extreme case of a similar concept

:obama:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

What? Young player who the Cubs didn't see enough in, played a season in our minors before two unfull seasons and then being traded for an againg pitcher in Broglio, goes on to be a HOFer... probably the best example there is.

:romney:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What? Young player who the Cubs didn't see enough in, played a season in our minors before two unfull seasons and then being traded for an againg pitcher in Broglio, goes on to be a HOFer... probably the best example there is.

what? :rolleyes:

he was given enough of a chance with the cubs

1961: only 4 games played
1962: 123 GP .263/.319
1963: 148 GP .258/.300
1964: 52 GP .251/.300 in splits w/cards 103 GP .348/.387

than the rest is history. There were probably significant variables to his success, but it wasnt like he was given up on and 2 years later he became good, he became good the minute he got to the cards.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Lou Brock was 50 years ago...

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
At least he didn't compare Campana to Brock :D

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
what? :rolleyes:

he was given enough of a chance with the cubs

1961: only 4 games played
1962: 123 GP .263/.319
1963: 148 GP .258/.300
1964: 52 GP .251/.300 in splits w/cards 103 GP .348/.387

than the rest is history. There were probably significant variables to his success, but it wasnt like he was given up on and 2 years later he became good, he became good the minute he got to the cards.

Not what I was referring too... sure, he got enough of a chance, but all I'm saying is adding another former farmhand (though admitting he played more in the Majors than with our minor league team in St. Cloud, which was why I mentioned it, to show he wasn't really just a former prospect), but he is probably the most famous case of a young Cub not making it here and being at least effective with another team (in this case to an extreme).

Relevant now? No, but I was just adding to a list. Not sure why you seem to have a problem with that.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still dont think Lee will hit enough to be a factor for a MLB team. He will play well above AVG DEF but wont come back to bite Cubs in ass. Archer is guy that i think will become a pen guy. So trading Garza for a RP and then alot of role players is still fine to me. Plus i still think he will be flipped for better specs then what Cubs gave up. Just needs to show he healthy 1st halve