Tape on Darnell Mooney

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have a dream... A dream... where Darrnell Mooney is a household name...Based on the extensive history of the Chicago Bears organization... this dream barely has a chance of becoming reality... However... there is hope... no matter how remote... that this very well may be... the Bear's Blind Squirrel moment. And Fields... might finally be the Nut we've all been waiting for....

What a great, feel good moment that would be, to finally get our Nut...

Exactly.

Nothing against Mooney, but the Bears don't draft good WRs. Our best WRs, ARob & Brandon Marshall, we had to sign away from other teams.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Exactly.

Nothing against Mooney, but the Bears don't draft good WRs. Our best WRs, ARob & Brandon Marshall, we had to sign away from other teams.
Yeah, lost in the QB despair is that the Bears have similarly failed at drafting WRs and LTs. They've had random good seasons from drafted WRs like Curtis Conway, Marty Booker, Bernard Berrian, Marcus Robinson, Johnny Knox and Alshon Jeffery but none of them have stayed around to put together a whole career. That Bears receiving record is very breakable to anyone that lasts more than 4 years. Love it if Mooney is that guy. Actually better yet if Mooney is good enough to stay beyond 4 years AND he's chasing the records reset by Allen Robinson.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, lost in the QB despair is that the Bears have similarly failed at drafting WRs and LTs. They've had random good seasons from drafted WRs like Curtis Conway, Marty Booker, Bernard Berrian, Marcus Robinson, Johnny Knox and Alshon Jeffery but none of them have stayed around to put together a whole career. That Bears receiving record is very breakable to anyone that lasts more than 4 years. Love it if Mooney is that guy. Actually better yet if Mooney is good enough to stay beyond 4 years AND he's chasing the records reset by Allen Robinson.

Great post.

I admit I forgot about Curtis Conway. He might have been better with better QBs.

Canth

Liked Posts:

Technically, Alshon Jeffery, Curtis Conway, and Willie Gault have more receiving yards as Bears than either Brandon Marshall or Arob so far.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
What is this guys ceiling?

I'm more focused on what his floor is. By that I mean I'm trying to figure out how good he really was last year.

IMHO he tore it up last year, but I'd also imagine with only a week to prepare for the Bears offense not many DCs spent too many of those prep days planning for the 5th rounder. This year will be different. Division D-Backs will have looked at his tape (pros and college), looked at what specific areas are challenging for him and try to make things hard.

Just to compare, I'll look at my Eagles and I'd take Travis Fulgham. On the season he had 38 receptions, 539 yards and 4 TDs, but that all came over the week 4 through 8 stretch. If you play fantasy football he was the 'must add' free agent who was a top fantasy producer.

With both players I've seen them make great plays. I'm wondering if that can be maintained or even improved as defenses start regarding them as players who need to be planned for.

Finally just to add IMHO Mooney >>> Fulgham. I was just using that as a comparable player that seemed to come out of no where that could be solid for years to come.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I'm more focused on what his floor is. By that I mean I'm trying to figure out how good he really was last year.

IMHO he tore it up last year, but I'd also imagine with only a week to prepare for the Bears offense not many DCs spent too many of those prep days planning for the 5th rounder. This year will be different. Division D-Backs will have looked at his tape (pros and college), looked at what specific areas are challenging for him and try to make things hard.

Just to compare, I'll look at my Eagles and I'd take Travis Fulgham. On the season he had 38 receptions, 539 yards and 4 TDs, but that all came over the week 4 through 8 stretch. If you play fantasy football he was the 'must add' free agent who was a top fantasy producer.

With both players I've seen them make great plays. I'm wondering if that can be maintained or even improved as defenses start regarding them as players who need to be planned for.

Finally just to add IMHO Mooney >>> Fulgham. I was just using that as a comparable player that seemed to come out of no where that could be solid for years to come.
Though you also have to look at exactly who was throwing Mooney the ball. Trubisky/Foles, neither of whom could get the speedster the ball deep, that more than anything else slowed Mooney down, stopped him from having an even more productive year. Not a problem when Fields is named the starter.

As for DC's and D-Backs, pay to much attention to Mooney then what to do about Robinson. In the playoff game against the Saints you saw just how much the Bears missed having Mooney on the field. Over the second half of 2020 Bears fans were able to see how much coverage Mooney drew away from Robinson, and after he was injured and unable to go in the playoffs Robinson became a non-factor against the Saints. Even last year teams knew exactly the type of big play weapon Mooney had become.