TE Options if bears cut graham

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I found it odd they didn’t cut JG. If he’s still around, it’s possible that they don’t think so highly of Kmet. If they trust Kmet taking the next step, JG isn’t needed.

I think there is a more clear explanation:

The Bears value Jimmy Graham more than Bears fans do.

All Bears fans see is the cap hit.

Graham was productive in his role last season and the Bears don't have another tight end like that on the roster.

That is also not a dig against Cole Kmet. It was already explained last year during the draft that the Bears value two different types of tight ends. Graham fills the role of one type and Kmet the other.

They don't have a replacement for Graham, and Kmet was NOT drafted to be Graham's eventual replacement .

So yeah, both will be kept.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

The explanation from last year on the two different types of tight ends, just so you know I'm not talking out of my ass...

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
The Bears cut Kyle Fuller because they have more viable replacements at cornerback than they do at the second tight end.
I would argue that a second tight end is a lot easier and cheaper to find than a starting CB, especially a pro bowl one. There is a lot more value on the CB position if you look at how much they are paid and where they go in the draft.

I don't see any proven CBs on the roster right now. Johnson needs to prove he can go a season without injuring his shoulder, Trufont needs to prove he can revert to his old form and that he was just injured last year. I really like what i saw from Vildor last year but he's hardly proven, Shelly looked probably ok at NB. The rest are projects.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
It was reported that it was upwards of 14 mil....more than the supposed 11 mil that most people thought before the cut actually occurred
ok, that actually hurts a little less and makes more sense if its 14 mil saved and only 6 in dead space rather than 11 and 9 which was reported.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I found it odd they didn’t cut JG. If he’s still around, it’s possible that they don’t think so highly of Kmet. If they trust Kmet taking the next step, JG isn’t needed.

It amazes me on how many posters here refuse to recognize the importance of depth, in the NFL you are never set at a position with only one guy

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right now, cutting him still leaves us negative in the cap, Bears still need to get under the cap number. You are likely looking at Holtz Horsted, or a UDFA to get a shot at TE number 2 next season. Or someone to get a shot from another teams practice squad fodder.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Graham is still hanging around cause they want his veteran presence
Admittedly, we're overpaying Graham but the Bears like his energy and leadership. The dude does a lot in the community, and he's been a good mentor for Kmet.

Nagy could be smarter in the way he uses Graham. Hopefully he has a better read on what Jimmy can do after last year. Improvement at QB may help too.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
It amazes me on how many posters here refuse to recognize the importance of depth, in the NFL you are never set at a position with only one guy

Jimmy was a decent redzone threat, but his contract really never made sense for him to be on the team for 2021. No one questions the need to have depth, but the thought is that there were better cap saving options to explore. 10 mil is a bit high for a 35 year old Tight End, who is likely to be off the team next year. On top of that we've let guys like Jesper Horsted and JP Holtz be on the team the last couple of years when they have shown to have little upside and really no future on the team. I think we can do better.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jimmy was a decent redzone threat, but his contract really never made sense for him to be on the team for 2021. No one questions the need to have depth, but the thought is that there were better cap saving options to explore. 10 mil is a bit high for a 35 year old Tight End, who is likely to be off the team next year. On top of that we've let guys like Jesper Horsted and JP Holtz be on the team the last couple of years when they have shown to have little upside and really no future on the team. I think we can do better.
You may have to keep in mind there was not promise we'd get the TOP TE talent in round 2 in 2020. It's very likely They were trying to get someone in the hopes they just had someone. We know damn well Pace throws money at the wrong place sometimes. Dolton... and well Quinn... playing a average pass rusher for the next 5 years that is ALREADY over 30...

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I would argue that a second tight end is a lot easier and cheaper to find than a starting CB, especially a pro bowl one. There is a lot more value on the CB position if you look at how much they are paid and where they go in the draft.

I don't see any proven CBs on the roster right now. Johnson needs to prove he can go a season without injuring his shoulder, Trufont needs to prove he can revert to his old form and that he was just injured last year. I really like what i saw from Vildor last year but he's hardly proven, Shelly looked probably ok at NB. The rest are projects.
Don't forget Thomas Graham Jr.

The Bears have a good history at cornerback under Ryan Pace. There's really no need for them to pour cap resources on it unless there is a truly elite talent they want to retain.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
You may have to keep in mind there was not promise we'd get the TOP TE talent in round 2 in 2020. It's very likely They were trying to get someone in the hopes they just had someone. We know damn well Pace throws money at the wrong place sometimes. Dolton... and well Quinn... playing a average pass rusher for the next 5 years that is ALREADY over 30...
I agree. Pace doesn't like to go into the draft with glaring holes and we lost out on signing Austin Hooper. But my point stands that his contract was set up where keeping him on this year never made sense. Now that we have Kmet, it made more sense to add a cheaper, younger option (like Gerald Everett) via free agency or the draft.

I guess if we don't have to, might as well keep him for one last year. He did provide a nice amount of rezone TDs for us.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree. Pace doesn't like to go into the draft with glaring holes and we lost out on signing Austin Hooper. But my point stands that his contract was set up where keeping him on this year never made sense. Now that we have Kmet, it made more sense to add a cheaper, younger option (like Gerald Everett) via free agency or the draft.

I guess if we don't have to, might as well keep him for one last year. He did provide a nice amount of rezone TDs for us.
You have to find a way to cut 10 million and keep him after the rookie contracts. So as far as bigger contracts go, it might come down to him and Hicks right now. In terms of value, Hicks is a better player and you don't have someone near his level to replace him. At the same time, he gets hurt way too much. Jimmy on the other hand I feel was there all 16, just getting lesser snaps for Kmet. As a receiver, I didn't see enough out of Kmet to wanna cut him. This just honestly makes the Dalton signing dumber and dumber, because that IS the ten million.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Again, vet leadership on O

That's why they are keeping him (for now)

For better or worse

Montucky

Liked Posts:

Bears had limited draft capital after the Teven Jenkins trade-up and if you'll notice a common theme among the free agent signings this free agent period was an unwillingness to commit money past 2021. Gerald Everett only took that contract with Seattle because he intends on having a monster year with Russell Wilson and trying to get paid as a twenty-seven year old free agent coming off a huge year.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's no Graham's fault they didn't use him more in the red zone.

Perhaps they will.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:

The Bears have a good history at cornerback under Ryan Pace. There's really no need for them to pour cap resources on it unless there is a truly elite talent they want to retain.
I would call Fuller elite. They have a good record bc Pace smartly throws a lot of resources at it.

It's possible we will be fine with what we have; personally i am optomistic about Johnson, Vildor and Graham; it's just risky with none of them being proven to cut your only known commodity and pro bowler at the position. We are seeing an influx of talented WR coming into the league right now and it could get ugly if there is not a consistent pass rush.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I would call Fuller elite. They have a good record bc Pace smartly throws a lot of resources at it.

It's possible we will be fine with what we have; personally i am optomistic about Johnson, Vildor and Graham; it's just risky with none of them being proven to cut your only known commodity and pro bowler at the position. We are seeing an influx of talented WR coming into the league right now and it could get ugly if there is not a consistent pass rush.
Kyle Fuller has been elite, but at his age and with some cracks starting to form in his play last season I'm not sure he's going to keep being elite. Vic Fangio will probably squeeze the absolute best football than be squeezed out of him, but I'm not sure long-term Kyle Fuller was in the Bears plans.

Let Kindle Vildor and Jaylon Johnson prove themselves. And don't forget about Dre Roberson and Artie Burns, two talented guys who will make camp a very competitive place.

I think the same thing that happened to Kyle Fuller now needs to happen to Akiem Hicks. Its a tough business, but this is how it works.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I feel like it will be best young DB at Nickel between Graham Vildor and Shelly. I like Vildor over Shelly because I feel while they both got flags throw on them, I feel Vildor will make plays and be a good tackler. Almost made me wanna see if he could take a shot at being a Safety, if we didn't sign Gipson back. I hope Trufant has to fight to start and they don't give it to him because he is the vet.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kyle Fuller has been elite, but at his age and with some cracks starting to form in his play last season I'm not sure he's going to keep being elite. Vic Fangio will probably squeeze the absolute best football than be squeezed out of him, but I'm not sure long-term Kyle Fuller was in the Bears plans.

Let Kindle Vildor and Jaylon Johnson prove themselves. And don't forget about Dre Roberson and Artie Burns, two talented guys who will make camp a very competitive place.

I think the same thing that happened to Kyle Fuller now needs to happen to Akiem Hicks. Its a tough business, but this is how it works.
The only think I like about Burns is his last name, because it is my last name. People were saying he was trash after the signing.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The only think I like about Burns is his last name, because it is my last name. People were saying he was trash after the signing.
Things in Pittsburgh didn't go well at all but he is still immensely talented and the Bears were really enthusiastic about him until he got hurt.