Team Mock - 3/1/15

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I do remember him getting into the backfield a few times. But can he do it consistently in a role that most people will know is coming already?

One thing I'm sure of Is he's a good tackler. I'd like to see him in one of the two middle spots.
The way Fangio has ruin his defenses, Jones won't necessarily be rushing the passer as much as you think.....assuming he's the Lolb aka on the TE side of the formation. He'd jam and cover the TE. He'd drop in coverage about as much as he rushes the passer.

Think of it this way. The defense the Bears have always played, the front 4 rushed the passer. Now u essentially have a front 5, with the 3 DL and 2 OLB lined up on the line. The ROLB would be the primary pass rusher against the offenses LT. Whenever the strong side LB rushes, he's either an extra rusher or one of the other guys is dropping back. If u get an elite pass rusher like Fangio had in Aldon Smith, you want him rushing the passer the most. So the other LB would essentially be used as a blitzer most of the time. That's pretty much what the Sam LB always did in the Bears D, but more he's lined up closer to the line of scrimmage.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
just to be clear I mean't 2016. would i cut him for 2015? not sure.

personally i'd cut willie young and i actually like him but i don't like an achilles injury or the fact that he's never played OLB.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

personally i'd cut willie young and i actually like him but i don't like an achilles injury or the fact that he's never played OLB.

Don't get too caught up in the position. Worst case scenario, he can't play base OLB and he's a nickel pass rusher with his hand in the ground. Luckily for him, the Bears will play nickel probably 55-60% of the time just like every other team does. Basically the same role he was intended for last year.

As for Allen, if he can't play OLB, you're looking at a guy getting paid a ton of money. You aren't going to pay a nickel rusher 12.5Mil, even if you don't get anything back from cutting him.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:

i tend to agree. i really like willie young, but he's got a lot of things working against him. first, he'll be 30 early in the season. second, achilles injuries are really tough injuries. his happened late in the year. best case scenario is probably pup list for him. third, the injury is going to make it very hard to learn a new position and an entirely new defensive scheme. also the coaches will have no chance to even evaluate him during mini camps.

i think young is likely going to get an injury settlement. maybe they keep him around but he's probably nothing more then a situational pass rusher in this defense.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
i tend to agree. i really like willie young, but he's got a lot of things working against him. first, he'll be 30 early in the season. second, achilles injuries are really tough injuries. his happened late in the year. best case scenario is probably pup list for him. third, the injury is going to make it very hard to learn a new position and an entirely new defensive scheme. also the coaches will have no chance to even evaluate him during mini camps.

i think young is likely going to get an injury settlement. maybe they keep him around but he's probably nothing more then a situational pass rusher in this defense.

Corey Peters of the Falcons tore his achilles in the last week of 2013. He misssed Week 1 for the Falcons in 2014.......AND ONLY WEEK 1. Peters is also a 305lb DT. Young will be fine. And again, don't sweat the position change. It's still football. He's still an edge player that will try to sack the quarterback.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Corey Peters of the Falcons tore his achilles in the last week of 2013. He misssed Week 1 for the Falcons in 2014.......AND ONLY WEEK 1. Peters is also a 305lb DT. Young will be fine. And again, don't sweat the position change. It's still football. He's still an edge player that will try to sack the quarterback.

well, yes, he came back. but that's one example, and an example that's 4 years younger then willie young. fact is achilles injuries are one of the worst injuries. on average one out of three players who suffer achilles injuries don't ever play again. the average recovery is 10 to 11 months. citing one outlier to the data doesn't change that.

and again, he's going to be so far behind in terms of learning the scheme and the coaches being familiar with him that it's going to be a hard road for him.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
well, yes, he came back. but that's one example, and an example that's 4 years younger then willie young. fact is achilles injuries are one of the worst injuries. on average one out of three players who suffer achilles injuries don't ever play again. the average recovery is 10 to 11 months. citing one outlier to the data doesn't change that.

and again, he's going to be so far behind in terms of learning the scheme and the coaches being familiar with him that it's going to be a hard road for him.

First of all where are you getting your stats? A quick google search shows you're probably getting your numbers from an article 5 years ago. There have been technological advances since then. Plus, that stat doesn't take into account the age, size, or talent of the player injured. Nate Collins tore his ACL and hasn't played since. Henry Melton tore his a week earlier and got a huge multi-year contract (though it was really a 1-year deal with the small guarantees). Also, since that report in 2010, Terrell Suggs, Jason Peters, Wilfork, Leon Hall, Brent Grimes, and others have come back and been just fine.

Secondly, he'll be in the meeting rooms and on the field watching during camp, presumably. Again, this is football. He knows how to play it. Worst case, he's part of the nickel package and rushes from his typical 3-point stance on 3rd down. Hell, DJ Williams missed all of training camp in 201, with a new team, new coaches, a new scheme, and at MLB instead of OLB he played before he got here, and he stepped right in to be effective at the start of that season.

Liked Posts:
That really isn't a high number of FAs signed. That's 9 guys from outside the organization and 4 re-signs that were with the team in 2014.

Last year, the Bears signed Houston, Young, Allen, Mundy, DelaPuente, Morgan,Trevor Scott, Clausen, and McCray. That's 9 signings. And that doesn't include guys who didn't make the team like Jordan Senn, Matthew Mulligan or Domenic Hixon. And the Bears signed more of their own players than 4, including Ratliff, Tillman, McManis, Collins, and DJ Williams.

That being said, they won't sign that many starters and very key backups. And the contracts for Knighton, McCourty and McPhee are way off. McCourty will probably be the highest paid safety in the game.

That was my point. Not the number, but the caliber.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Nice draft and I think Nate Irving would be an underrated signing.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
We need to go all in for McCourty if he hits the open market. Our current hole on the back end of the defense has to be addressed and he is exactly what we need in terms of covering ground.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Virgil Green. This guy is probably a 3rd string TE at best.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
We need to go all in for McCourty if he hits the open market. Our current hole on the back end of the defense has to be addressed and he is exactly what we need in terms of covering ground.

this....especially when the free safety class in the draft blows this year

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
this....especially when the free safety class in the draft blows this year

yeah, it's not a good year to need a safety. i think rahim moore is more likely for the bears given his association with fox and the fact that he will be less expensive then mccourty. he's better then byrd who got over $9 million a year.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
yeah, it's not a good year to need a safety. i think rahim moore is more likely for the bears given his association with fox and the fact that he will be less expensive then mccourty. he's better then byrd who got over $9 million a year.

give mccourty 5 years 50 mil with about 20 mil of it guaranteed. hes by far the best available option and we have the worst pass defense in the NFL last year. then in the draft get a pass rusher and that will help out the secondary some as well.