Ted Phillips helped land Matt Nagy

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There’s a lot of information available about the hiring of Matt Nagy, with nobody writing a more detailed piece than Adam Jahns. But here’s some info that, until now, wasn’t available.

- Chris Ballard and the Colts thought Nagy was going to be their next coach. Wanna know how close Ballard and Nagy are? Their kids are on the same youth sports teams in wherever-they-live Kansas City. These guys aren’t just colleagues. They are friends.

- When Ryan Pace asked Nagy what he was thinking for the defensive side of the ball, Nagy responded that the team should do everything in their power to retain Vic Fangio. He supplied 5-6 other names he believed would be good choices but was effusively in favor of Fangio finishing what he started. The Bears were impressed.

- Matt Nagy’s agent is former Bear Trace Armstrong. Armstrong’s rookie contract was negotiated by his agent, Tom Condon, and the Bears’ Ted Phillips. Phillips, Condon and Armstrong have maintained a close relationship for years. Phillips is a big reason that Nagy chose the Bears over the Colts. As I was told, Armstrong argued strongly to Nagy, “You NEED to be in Chicago. These guys are great.”

- Nagy walking into the room with offensive line coach Harry Hiestand in his pocket was one of the most impressive moments of the entire interview process for the Bears. Hiestand is the best OL coach in the country. Bears knew that firsthand.

http://dabearsblog.com

Here’s to you, Teddy.

giphy.gif

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This just about guarantees Nagy will be a failure now, lol. Then again even a broken clock is right twice a day so maybe this is one of those times for Sweaty Ted.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Will GeorgeRyanTed be running the draft and FA period collaboratively too?

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
This just about guarantees Nagy will be a failure now, lol. Then again even a broken clock is right twice a day so maybe this is one of those times for Sweaty Ted.

Literally says his agent talked him into it. Plus Irsay is a cunt. Phillips is just in the background, sweating and smiling.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
There’s a lot of information available about the hiring of Matt Nagy, with nobody writing a more detailed piece than Adam Jahns. But here’s some info that, until now, wasn’t available.

- Chris Ballard and the Colts thought Nagy was going to be their next coach. Wanna know how close Ballard and Nagy are? Their kids are on the same youth sports teams in wherever-they-live Kansas City. These guys aren’t just colleagues. They are friends.

- When Ryan Pace asked Nagy what he was thinking for the defensive side of the ball, Nagy responded that the team should do everything in their power to retain Vic Fangio. He supplied 5-6 other names he believed would be good choices but was effusively in favor of Fangio finishing what he started. The Bears were impressed.

- Matt Nagy’s agent is former Bear Trace Armstrong. Armstrong’s rookie contract was negotiated by his agent, Tom Condon, and the Bears’ Ted Phillips. Phillips, Condon and Armstrong have maintained a close relationship for years. Phillips is a big reason that Nagy chose the Bears over the Colts. As I was told, Armstrong argued strongly to Nagy, “You NEED to be in Chicago. These guys are great.”

- Nagy walking into the room with offensive line coach Harry Hiestand in his pocket was one of the most impressive moments of the entire interview process for the Bears. Hiestand is the best OL coach in the country. Bears knew that firsthand.

http://dabearsblog.com

Here’s to you, Teddy.

giphy.gif

Thanks for the help Ted.

Pace has a long term five year plan for this team and seems to implement it every year. He has a vision for the team and seems to execute it without hesitation. Everything Pace has done to this point has been impressive. Can't wait for the draft.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Sounds like Ted wants credit for this. Also sounds like Pace was told to go after Nagy because of the connection.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Q:. We had heard reports that he could have had the Colts job but he looked at this Bears situation and went: I like the young quarterback. I feel like I have a partnership with my General Manager, we’re going to grow together and build this thing. What is your take on, there were other suitors out there, on how he went about this decision-making process?

A:. Well, I know for a fact — I wasn’t in the room — I know who he talked to first, who he talked to second. I know for a fact that this is a people business and that he felt entirely more comfortable [in the Bears] interview with the people who sat around there for four and a half hours than he did when he came out of the Colts interview. It’s quite statement because the guy who is at the Colts was with us for five years at Kansas City. You know, a lot of times you go with your gut. At the same time you are interviewing Matt Nagy, Matt Nagy is interviewing you. He is seeing what he is throwing in with and who he is getting in the car with and just like when you do a deal it has got to get something from both sides and I felt from him[fully] that they were two completely different kind of interviews and that he was enthralled with the people at the Bears, with the Bears situation, to jump in that boat. — Brad Childress

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Oh my gosh I can't imagine what kind of tweets that this Adam Johns guy is going to be seeing in his feed when Craig Gabriel catches wind of this article, it is not going to be pretty! Seriously.

ob1force

Liked Posts:
Q:. We had heard reports that he could have had the Colts job but he looked at this Bears situation and went: I like the young quarterback. I feel like I have a partnership with my General Manager, we’re going to grow together and build this thing. What is your take on, there were other suitors out there, on how he went about this decision-making process?

A:. Well, I know for a fact — I wasn’t in the room — I know who he talked to first, who he talked to second. I know for a fact that this is a people business and that he felt entirely more comfortable [in the Bears] interview with the people who sat around there for four and a half hours than he did when he came out of the Colts interview. It’s quite statement because the guy who is at the Colts was with us for five years at Kansas City. You know, a lot of times you go with your gut. At the same time you are interviewing Matt Nagy, Matt Nagy is interviewing you. He is seeing what he is throwing in with and who he is getting in the car with and just like when you do a deal it has got to get something from both sides and I felt from him[fully] that they were two completely different kind of interviews and that he was enthralled with the people at the Bears, with the Bears situation, to jump in that boat. — Brad Childress

Yeah but nowhere in that it says Colts offered him the job and he passed them up. Just he felt "more comfortable" with the Bears. Maybe the reason he felt "more comfortable" with CHI is that they showed him more love versus the Colts hence the Lombardi source.

I'm not disagreeing with any y'all but just saying there's always two (3, 4, etc.) sides to every story.