The 2020 Personnel Discussion: Offense

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I don't think changing Jackson's role was a bad thing. Teams were going to scheme against him all year if he sitting in the deep middle all game. He's becoming a more versatile player and a better tackler. More TFL than his first 2 years combined. Playing more slot coverage than he has (and doing well in coverage). It allowed the Bears to go out and get the best safety they could afford, and will work the same this offseason. If the Bears get a box guy like Amos, Jackson can go back to his FS role. If they go out and get another versatile guy, they can do whatever with Jackson. Safeties need to be somewhat interchangeable, and I think the INTs will come again for Jackson due to him lining up at various positions. He just has to put it all together.
I wouldn’t mind Tre Boston as the other safety. He is solid and I believe is a FA again who could be had cheap

E.F.Hutton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't think they are getting rid of Burton. He has two years left on his contract and I'm guessing a pretty substantial cap hit along with it. Shaheen, on the other hand, is definitely gone. It looks to me like the Bears are willing to ride with the defense for a couple of years, filling in where it is needed, like they did this year with CB and SS.

The main need on the offense is for Trubisky and the Oline to get better.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Again it is all dependent on the things I mentioned...they may be satisfied with who they have on the roster in terms of Coward competing (@WindyCity you were one year late).

If there is a guy in the draft available when the Bears pick that they really like to lock down a tackle position then I believe Pace will draft him.....

But what I see fans do over and over is just assign a draft slot to a position. Its ignorant of how the draft actually works.

Again, we know all this. Your position basically means we can't talk about anything related to the draft because we don't know who is available at 47.

Best of luck sticking to that position for the next 6 months during every single mock draft.

Ironhead22

Liked Posts:
I don't think changing Jackson's role was a bad thing. Teams were going to scheme against him all year if he sitting in the deep middle all game. He's becoming a more versatile player and a better tackler. More TFL than his first 2 years combined. Playing more slot coverage than he has (and doing well in coverage). It allowed the Bears to go out and get the best safety they could afford, and will work the same this offseason. If the Bears get a box guy like Amos, Jackson can go back to his FS role. If they go out and get another versatile guy, they can do whatever with Jackson. Safeties need to be somewhat interchangeable, and I think the INTs will come again for Jackson due to him lining up at various positions. He just has to put it all together.
I see what you are saying and he has made plays in the running game and has covered receivers well. Those are good things. The problems have been, lack of big plays and getting beat deep because he is up jumping routes when he has deep on one of the sides. I hope they get an in the box safety and he returns to the role he played his first two years. He covers an amazing amount of the field from his CF spot. Limiting him to one side takes away a lot of his instincts.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Again, we know all this. Your position basically means we can't talk about anything related to the draft because we don't know who is available at 47.

Best of luck sticking to that position for the next 6 months during every single mock draft.

Lol....I never said you can’t talk about. You can type whatever you want.

I’m also allowed to criticize it. It’s a Bears forum. This is what we do.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
What will be the asking price for Trent Williams, who will be 32 next year with one year left on his deal at $12.5m?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
None of the TEs on this team now should be kept. If you want to hold onto one of the guys for blocking, Horsted, or Holtz, I mean, I guess. But we desperately need a TE that can catch.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
QB - It is what it is. Gotta see Mitch through and I think with his recent play has earned the opportunity. Need a different backup, but have to be cost effective about it.

RB - Maybe spend one of your three 5th rounders on one? Montgomery has looked really good and Cohen is your gadget guy. Can also add someone in free agency fairly cheap as the position has become less of a priority.

RE - Robinson is under contract, but I'd make all efforts to extend him. He's a top 10 talent. Outside of that the group isn't bad. You do need that #1 and continuing to get developmental players might be the most cost effective way to operate.

TE - I disagree with needing someone. Run with Horsted and Holtz and draft someone in the later rounds to compete. Hooper is 'fine', but he'd probably cost over $5m/year. There's no need to commit any more cap space or draft capital to the position. Kelce is by far and away the best TE and he's a 3rd rounder. Gronk was a 2nd. Kittle was a 5th rounder. Run with what you have and take a swing at a later pick and develop them. With the team having limited cap space, some contracts coming due (Mitch and Robinson) there's no need to do more here.

OT - Here's where you might have to spend some money and draft at least one person. There's a lot of sub 30 year old names coming due. Maybe sign 2? The biggest issue with this position group is the current guys aren't tradable assets and there is only a small amount of cap space created by cutting Leno (Massie actually costs an extra $3.8M to cut).

OG - You are decent here. Not much depth, so maybe some tinkering can help provide options. Long will be gone which is good for the cap.

C - Leave it alone. Whitehair is probably your guy with Daniels being able to help in a pinch.

Last edited:

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I don't think they are getting rid of Burton. He has two years left on his contract and I'm guessing a pretty substantial cap hit along with it. Shaheen, on the other hand, is definitely gone. It looks to me like the Bears are willing to ride with the defense for a couple of years, filling in where it is needed, like they did this year with CB and SS.

The main need on the offense is for Trubisky and the Oline to get better.
Yeah, Burton did well his first year here. Hopefully it was just injuries that accounts for his lesser play this year.

Shaheen will be on his last year of his rookie contract 2020. Might as well take him through the preseason. He had some plays that demonstrated his skills. Leaps happen from time-to-time. If there's a 53rd player we have to have over Shaheen, we'll deal with that then.

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember pace and nagy were asked about chase Daniel prior to the season and pace saying they plan on him being here a “long tIme”

obviously they can just say that but we shall see

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There are guys on the roster that I am interested in being high upside depth

Coward
Bars
Horsted
Holtz

But I think if you want to move from average to good those guys are backups to better players.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Ohh! Haha, gotcha. I'd think the 2nd round range is when teams will start entertaining the thought.

Yeah, I wonder if they'd be interested in Leno and a second. Probably not.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
There are guys on the roster that I am interested in being high upside depth

Coward
Bars
Horsted
Holtz

But I think if you want to move from average to good those guys are backups to better players.

I have no problem with Holtz as the inline type TE. I think you're right about the others although I'd be ok sending them out there if it meant big upgrades at other spots.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have no problem with Holtz as the inline type TE. I think you're right about the others although I'd be ok sending them out there if it meant big upgrades at other spots.

I think if Holtz and Horsted are playing behind a legit TE then everyone will be playing at their level.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
None of the TEs on this team now should be kept. If you want to hold onto one of the guys for blocking, Horsted, or Holtz, I mean, I guess. But we desperately need a TE that can catch.

7.5 in dead cap to cut Burton

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
7.5 in dead cap to cut Burton

1.5 saved.

They could do it if they make a serious move at the position, but more than likely he is on the team.