The 2021 season has just ended....

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Pace and Nagy are about to get contract extensions.

As a fan what minimum scenario do you want this to occur?

As a fan playing Ted and George what do you think their minimum scenario is?

Keeping this very vague and general so people can give creative and long responses.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
As a fan I want an average of 10 wins.
3/4 years in the playoffs.
Depending on some outstanding circumstance a minimum of one NFC championship game.

As Ted/George I want the idea that sustained success is here and will keep coming.

Wildest5

Liked Posts:
By 2021 I would like to see two division wins (at least) an NFC championship appearance, more talent in key positions and good depth throughout the roster and for the team to have most its players coming from the draft.

Parkway Drive

Liked Posts:
Absolute bare minimum=
27-21, at least one playoff appearance, and a strong roster with solid depth that looks like it could legitimately compete for a super bowl appearance the following year.

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll keep it realistic here. Next year is a learning year, although a Rams-like turnaround would be awesome! But let's be realistic, not everybody can do this. So let this happen minimum:

Year 1: Learning
Year 2: Big jump, 8-10 wins minimum, playoffs not necessary
Year 3: Bigger jump, 10-12 wins minimum, playoffs necessary, but playoff wins not necessary since still inexperienced in playoffs (look at Rams)

If all of these expectations are met, then yes, contract extensions for all, since we are making big, clear, and obvious growth with better days ahead!!

Year 4: Super Bowl

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
3 years? Playoff appearances/threats.
Short of that (multiples) enough improvement that it seems likely.

If 3 years suck more beef block of their extensions.

MonkeyPox

Liked Posts:
As a fan: Multiple play off appearances..

As George: As George, I am overjoyed to finally have stumbled upon a competent football coach and GM by pure dumb luck. I enjoy weekends playing squash with the boys in the Hampton's and spending mommies money as I take credit for the teams recent success.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Following a 9-7 step-up season without playoffs in 2018, the Bears win 11 games in 2019, winning the NFC North as Aaron Rodgers shows cracks in the armor and loses a few winnable division games. Under Matt Nagy’s influence and clever playcalling, Trubisky has flourished into a Top 12 QB with a passer rating in the 90s. The Bears lose in the Wild Card round in 2019, but push through to the Divisional Round in the 2020 season.

It’s a long road, and they’re not to their goal yet, but the Chicago Bears have bought into Matt Nagy and Ryan Pace’s vision, and they believe a Super Bowl could come any year now that they’ve found a way to make the playoffs twice in a row, have their franchise quarterback and a Top 8 offense.

That fairy tale doesn’t have an appearance beyond the Divisional Round of the playoffs, but I think we’d all still be salivating.

At this point, if we’re honest, a playoff appearance itself would do wonders for this fan base. But if the Bears make it once with Nagy and Trubisky, I believe that’ll mean they’re in it nearly every year, because it’ll mean Nagy has helped make Trubisky into someone who wins games for the Bears and isn’t just a cog in the machine. I think we should demand as much. But the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Hotwheelz24

They See Me Rollin'
Liked Posts:
1st year, much improvement but obvious growing pains. Great optimism as we see the plan starting to really unfold. 7-9, maybe 8-8.
Year 2....Win the division in the last week of the season, win rd 1 game of playoffs against the wild card team, lose in the divisional round. reg. season record 10-6, maybe 11-5.

Now...not to get all morbid but hear me out...

Year 3... Virginia finally tips the bucket and the entire season is themed around "win it for Virginia" with patches on the jerseys, helmet stickers, etc. and the Bears at LEAST make it to the NFC Championship game, maybe even a trip to the SB. Imagine George standing up there holding the Halas trophy (or maybe the Lombardi SB trophy) and saying something like "this is for you Mom, she's looked down on her Bears all season".

Hey man, you asked for a long creative response.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
1st year, much improvement but obvious growing pains. Great optimism as we see the plan starting to really unfold. 7-9, maybe 8-8.
Year 2....Win the division in the last week of the season, win rd 1 game of playoffs against the wild card team, lose in the divisional round. reg. season record 10-6, maybe 11-5.

Now...not to get all morbid but hear me out...

Year 3... Virginia finally tips the bucket and the entire season is themed around "win it for Virginia" with patches on the jerseys, helmet stickers, etc. and the Bears at LEAST make it to the NFC Championship game, maybe even a trip to the SB. Imagine George standing up there holding the Halas trophy (or maybe the Lombardi SB trophy) and saying something like "this is for you Mom, she's looked down on her Bears all season".

Hey man, you asked for a long creative response.

well if we are going with the virginia dying scenario, mccaskeys sell the team because they dont have the cash to pay the estate tax. Jeff bezos out bids ryan and mckenna by paying $4 billion + for the team. He spends like crazy to get a sb.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
hopefully at least one sb.

I thought of that but you have 31 other teams trying to stop that. So I figured repeat playoffs is how you end up in the Super Bowl.

well if we are going with the virginia dying scenario, mccaskeys sell the team because they dont have the cash to pay the estate tax. Jeff bezos out bids ryan and mckenna by paying $4 billion + for the team. He spends like crazy to get a sb.

As far as I know she isn't the sole owner of the McCaskeys. She just has the voice of their stocks. So other than her percentage of the stocks they probably have that taken care of.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
as a fan? champions every fucking year.

realistically... at least 8-8 next year, followed by a winning season the next 3 years and at least a playoff appearance or 2.

framesh1ft

Liked Posts:
Let's try getting out of the cellar of the division for starters. By 2021 they should have at least one playoff appearance. The most important thing is that there has to be an obvious franchise QB on the roster and they are in a position to succeed with nice talent around them and good play calling.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I'm not putting expectations on the team in the immediate response because we don't yet know what kind of roster Nagy wants to build.

Year 3 needs to be a 10 win season barring major injuries. If our division and conference is highly competitive and we barely miss out on the playoffs, I'd be forgiving. I'd also say every year needs to see tangible growth.

I say barring injury because some things really tank your season and you can't help that. Like if Trubisky gets hurt, I'm not going to blame him for not having a playoff worthy backup QB (except Minnesota, nobody does).

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I'm not putting expectations on the team in the immediate response because we don't yet know what kind of roster Nagy wants to build.

We've just been through a rebuild. If he wants a tear down and rebuild of offense or defense he wasn't the right guy.
3 years is plenty for a team on the finishing end of a rebuild.

benplace

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Year one - We get a stud WR in the draft, another in FA and use Cohen and Howard properly. SB Win
Year two - Somewhat of a let down as we regress but still squeak in as a wild card team, turn it on and win our second SB.
Year three - Undefeated, another SB victory, first team in history to win 3 in a row. Nagy now in the same league with Belichick...
As we are hoisting the Lombardi for the third year in a row, I take my new Victoria secret fashion model bride to bed with a tear in my eye...

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
We've just been through a rebuild. If he wants a tear down and rebuild of offense or defense he wasn't the right guy.
3 years is plenty for a team on the finishing end of a rebuild.

I meant more that I don't have expectations for next year. Like, there is no way he finds all the WRs and OLmen Nagy needs for the system he wants to implement in one offseason. Year 3 is a good indicator for me on if he was a good hire.

If I judge the roster right, we have several guys on offense to build around. Trubisky, Howard and Cohen, Whitehair and Leno, and Shaheen are quality building blocks. He should have completed the rest of the starting lineup in two years and let them gel together, and year 3 the team should be able to compete with the best in the league.

Reactions: Myk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I meant more that I don't have expectations for next year. Like, there is no way he finds all the WRs and OLmen Nagy needs for the system he wants to implement in one offseason. Year 3 is a good indicator for me on if he was a good hire.

If I judge the roster right, we have several guys on offense to build around. Trubisky, Howard and Cohen, Whitehair and Leno, and Shaheen are quality building blocks. He should have completed the rest of the starting lineup in two years and let them gel together, and year 3 the team should be able to compete with the best in the league.

I won't like it (no other teams use that excuse like the Bears have used to death) but I do expect an off year next year.

If it was any other team I would expect a fair showing next year and good by year 2.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I won't like it (no other teams use that excuse like the Bears have used to death) but I do expect an off year next year.

If it was any other team I would expect a fair showing next year and good by year 2.

What is an off year for you? I'm of the opinion that we marginally improve over last year with a better offense. That may not be reflected in our record (especially if we switch up the defense too), but I would bet that Trubisky takes a step forward under the new regime.

I wouldn't be shocked if we were 8-8 or better in year 2 if we heavily invested in receiver this offseason. "On schedule" for me is that we are competitive for the playoffs year 3.