The Asian Duet

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Nice to see the sudden halt to all the premeditated excitement on the great international spending spree for 2013's ML ballclub.

I guess the Cubs didn't want to get into a last minute bidding war with the Sox for Matt Lindstrom's services.

I guess Valverde was just too expensive and lacked consistant, successful, ML experience.

Nice to see Gregg and Loe on the team. I guess there must be something there the genius sees that the rest of baseball doesn't.

Here's to the playoff run in 2013.

Go get em' FailStein !!!!!!!

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah this team would be so much better off with Dan Haren right now too.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
That's why they signed Feldman and Baker.

A much wiser decision and we still have Marmol.

Fantastic !!!!!!

:fap::fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: Theo :fap:
:fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap::fap:

patg006

Liked Posts:
Nice to see the sudden halt to all the premeditated excitement on the great international spending spree for 2013's ML ballclub.

I guess the Cubs didn't want to get into a last minute bidding war with the Sox for Matt Lindstrom's services.

I guess Valverde was just too expensive and lacked consistant, successful, ML experience.

Nice to see Gregg and Loe on the team. I guess there must be something there the genius sees that the rest of baseball doesn't.

Salami, you know the :fap: fans of theo detest 2.3 million for Matt Lindstrom, and surely would have despised topping the Met's absurd offer of 750K for Brendon Lyon. fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::harden:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Gregg was a minor league signing, and Loe was a waiver claim... it is completely insignificant.

And ok, make a realistic off-season set of moves that would have made this team a contender. I'd love to see it.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Gregg was a minor league signing, and Loe was a waiver claim... it is completely insignificant..

Insignificant until the start getting rocked and losing major league games.

Then it will be very significant.

The fact that you think losing games at the major league level is completely insignificant is mind numbingly ignorant.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Insignificant until the start getting rocked and losing major league games.

Then it will be very significant.

The fact that you think losing games at the major league level is completely insignificant is mind numbingly ignorant.

:rolleyes:

Difference between 160 and 161 losses, team not competing regardless this year, I don't give a fuck if any reliever fucks it up just a little more

patg006

Liked Posts:
Gregg was a minor league signing, and Loe was a waiver claim... it is completely insignificant.

And ok, make a realistic off-season set of moves that would have made this team a contender. I'd love to see it.

TO make this team competetive in 2014?

First: Trade Almora, Junior Lake, Vogelbach, Nick Struck, Matt Szcur, and Pierced Johnson for David Price and Ben Zobrist. Extend Price and Zobrist.

Second: Sign Cory Hart to play RF and Mark Reynolds to play 3B; 3-4 year deal 45-60 million for Hart and 1-2 12-24 for Reynolds.

Third: Draft Mark Appel or Sean Manea this June, sign him and throw him in AAA and get him a start or two come September. Cant be worse then Feldman as a 5th pitcher.

Fourth: Commit Baez to 3B, make him 3B of the future. Bring him up midseason if hes hitting well.

Fifth: Sign John Rauch and George Sherill for the bullpen. Dump Camp and Marmol.

Sixth (only 'if' situation due to health): Deal Matt Garza (and probably Scheirholtz) in heat of July races to Texas for Cody Buckel and Leury Garcia based package.

Lineup: Ben Zobrist leading off in CF, Castro, Rizzo, Hart, Reynolds, Castillo, Sori, Barney

Bench: Watkins, BJax, Bugusevic/FA, Clevenger

Rotation: Price, Shark, EJax, Wood/Villy Appel

BP: Russell, Sherill, Rausch, Vizcaino, Raley, Wood/Villy, Fuji, Loux

Spend lottery tickets to get proven players; replenish the farm so Theo :fap: can still have prospects to look forward to.

What a funny little word "both" is.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
TO make this team competetive in 2014?

First: Trade Almora, Junior Lake, Vogelbach, Nick Struck, Matt Szcur, and Pierced Johnson for David Price and Ben Zobrist. Extend Price and Zobrist.

Second: Sign Cory Hart to play RF and Mark Reynolds to play 3B; 3-4 year deal 45-60 million for Hart and 1-2 12-24 for Reynolds.

Third: Draft Mark Appel or Sean Manea this June, sign him and throw him in AAA and get him a start or two come September. Cant be worse then Feldman as a 5th pitcher.

Fourth: Commit Baez to 3B, make him 3B of the future. Bring him up midseason if hes hitting well.

Fifth: Sign John Rauch and George Sherill for the bullpen. Dump Camp and Marmol.

Sixth (only 'if' situation due to health): Deal Matt Garza (and probably Scheirholtz) in heat of July races to Texas for Cody Buckel and Leury Garcia based package.

Lineup: Ben Zobrist leading off in CF, Castro, Rizzo, Hart, Reynolds, Castillo, Sori, Barney

Bench: Watkins, BJax, Bugusevic/FA, Clevenger

Rotation: Price, Shark, EJax, Wood/Villy Appel

BP: Russell, Sherill, Rausch, Vizcaino, Raley, Wood/Villy, Fuji, Loux

Spend lottery tickets to get proven players; replenish the farm so Theo :fap: can still have prospects to look forward to.

What a funny little word "both" is.

I meant last offseason since you think it can be done so easily. That package for Price and Zobrist would be lucky to get you Price alone anyway. Almora is a good center piece, but they'd want two of him especially with Zobrist involved. Lake sucks, Vogelbach has far less trade value as a 1B/DH prospect, Szczur's stock is at an all time low, and Johnson isn't a high enough level arm and can't be the only pitcher included. Second is fine and realistic. Manaea? Really? Try Jonathan Gray, but putting him or Appel straight into AAA is beyond their current levels. Need more time in lower minors. Four through Six I have no problem with, but a little optimistic on Baezs ETA there.

That team is still a long shot to make the playoffs, might grab a 2nd wild card, but a much better job than others have done when asked the same question even though you did the wrong offseason which eliminated much of the point.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Best Asian duet: Takatsu, and Iguchi.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
goochtheplay_1.jpg

cWkcnMPd.jpg

patg006

Liked Posts:
I meant last offseason since you think it can be done so easily. That package for Price and Zobrist would be lucky to get you Price alone anyway. Almora is a good center piece, but they'd want two of him especially with Zobrist involved. Lake sucks, Vogelbach has far less trade value as a 1B/DH prospect, Szczur's stock is at an all time low, and Johnson isn't a high enough level arm and can't be the only pitcher included. Second is fine and realistic. Manaea? Really? Try Jonathan Gray, but putting him or Appel straight into AAA is beyond their current levels. Need more time in lower minors. Four through Six I have no problem with, but a little optimistic on Baezs ETA there.

That team is still a long shot to make the playoffs, might grab a 2nd wild card, but a much better job than others have done when asked the same question even though you did the wrong offseason which eliminated much of the point.

Vogelbach is incredibly ideal for a bopper DH who can also hit for average while tearing apart the minors thus far; for a team who's DH is Kelly Johnson. If they wanted Soler added, I'd give them Soler. Alot of other prospects would be thrown out. Itd be reworked as Almora, Soler, Struck, and Maples; maybe Jokisch if he stays hot through AA. I think Baez has the best shot of Baez, Soler and Almora.

Manea is the best LHP in this draft; Gray is getting better; Though I got a feeling Theo will ignore the top 3 arms for Austin Meadows......a total mistake.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Vogelbach is incredibly ideal for a bopper DH who can also hit for average while tearing apart the minors thus far; for a team who's DH is Kelly Johnson. If they wanted Soler added, I'd give them Soler. Alot of other prospects would be thrown out. Itd be reworked as Almora, Soler, Struck, and Maples; maybe Jokisch if he stays hot through AA. I think Baez has the best shot of Baez, Soler and Almora.

Manea is the best LHP in this draft; Gray is getting better; Though I got a feeling Theo will ignore the top 3 arms for Austin Meadows......a total mistake.

Manaea is the best LHP, who still shouldn't even be used in the same sentence as Appel or Gray. And DH prospects have no trade value, especially when in Low-A. Baez is the least likely of the three to have a successful MLB career, but he has the biggest potential. Almora is by far the most likely of the three to be a legit MLB'er, but also has the lowest potential of the three. Almora and Soler would be enough as a centerpiece of a Price alone trade, but Struck is not considered a top prospect and Maples hasn't pitched much at all since we acquired him. Would be lucky for Tampa Bay to pull the trigger and definitely not with Zobrist as well.

Team is not competing this year because of the terrible moves made by Theo and Hoyer.

Glad we can agree on that.

Thanks.

Again, try making a set of moves last off-season that would have made this team good.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Manaea is the best LHP, who still shouldn't even be used in the same sentence as Appel or Gray. And DH prospects have no trade value, especially when in Low-A. Baez is the least likely of the three to have a successful MLB career, but he has the biggest potential. Almora is by far the most likely of the three to be a legit MLB'er, but also has the lowest potential of the three. Almora and Soler would be enough as a centerpiece of a Price alone trade, but Struck is not considered a top prospect and Maples hasn't pitched much at all since we acquired him. Would be lucky for Tampa Bay to pull the trigger and definitely not with Zobrist as well.

So you can tell Almora is the most likely to make it when he hasnt seen a pitch in high-A but Vogelbach's .323 tear with 17 HR last year through low A isnt a good enough piece for Tampa to like in a trade? Hes started 2013 off right; and he plays 1B, not just condemned to DH like you assumed he was when Hendry got fired; something James Loney is manning in Tampa. Yeah, James Loney isnt the future of a small market team that gives a shit about contending. To say this kid has small value because hes solely a DH is foolish. You probably though Felix Pie was a lock to be a legit MLB player too, right? Until Hendry got fired of course, then it became the Theo slurpfest, where everything Jim Hendry did was stricken from record and Theo gets every bit of credit.

There might be a slight agenda here.....

But the cubs wont trade for Price; Theo would never give what I'd offer; so watch the Cards pounce on him by shipping Oscar Tavares and Shelby Miller; once again proving great teams make great decisions that get great players.

As for the Gray, Manea, Appel decision; it has to be one of them. Houston most likely takes its native son Appel; who's told media he would play for his hometown. So my guess is it comes down to Gray or Manea. I like Manea. You like Gray. Agree to disagree; Manea's compared to Chris Sale, throws the same 5 pitches and 3/4 arm movement. Gray is compared to Max Scherzer on scout.com;

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
So you can tell Almora is the most likely to make it when he hasnt seen a pitch in high-A but Vogelbach's .323 tear with 17 HR last year through low A isnt a good enough piece for Tampa to like in a trade? Hes started 2013 off right; and he plays 1B, not just condemned to DH like you assumed he was when Hendry got fired; something James Loney is manning in Tampa. Yeah, James Loney isnt the future of a small market team that gives a shit about contending. To say this kid has small value because hes solely a DH is foolish. You probably though Felix Pie was a lock to be a legit MLB player too, right? Until Hendry got fired of course, then it became the Theo slurpfest, where everything Jim Hendry did was stricken from record and Theo gets every bit of credit.

There might be a slight agenda here.....

But the cubs wont trade for Price; Theo would never give what I'd offer; so watch the Cards pounce on him by shipping Oscar Tavares and Shelby Miller; once again proving great teams make great decisions that get great players.

As for the Gray, Manea, Appel decision; it has to be one of them. Houston most likely takes its native son Appel; who's told media he would play for his hometown. So my guess is it comes down to Gray or Manea. I like Manea. You like Gray. Agree to disagree; Manea's compared to Chris Sale, throws the same 5 pitches and 3/4 arm movement. Gray is compared to Max Scherzer on scout.com;

Scout.com comps mean nothing, Manaea has slipped to a possible #7 pick while Gray may now even be on par with Appel, things change a shit ton, and maybe the picture isn't all that clear yet, but all I'm saying is that it is a consensus that Appel and Gray are now far ahead of the pack. Almora is more polished than your typical prospects, that is why he is the safest bet, and he is solid all around while other prospects we have obvious struggles in certain areas (Baez too aggressive, Soler simply is a bit flashy, I like him over Almora, but Almora is the safer bet to make it). It is well known that 1B prospects hold significantly less value, and not being able to play much defense hurts it even more, I think he can be a slugger, but that doesn't correlate to trade value right now. The Cubs wouldn't be able to land Price with either of your offers, though the second one centered around Almora/Soler was closer, you just chose the wrong prospects to add in. Look at what it took to get Matt fucking Garza: A #1 prospect and a #3 prospect with similar hype at the time (Archer and Lee), another Top 10 (Guyer), an MLB player (Fuld), and a depth catcher (Chirinos). Now, take a pitcher several times better, offer similarly hyped prospects (Almora and Soler), a decent prospect (Struck), and a guy who has barely pitched professionally in 2 years (Maples), and tell me if they accept that. Cardinals offering Miller and Tavares would be something TB would jump all over. Why? Because those two are even better that Baez, Almora, and Soler right now, and are both Top 5-Top 10 prospects in baseball (Though Baez was projected to be ranked #3 by next year, that's just a projection, not sure what each's value will be like next year). There is no better package to offer than the one you mentioned for them unless we surround Castro and Rizzo with good prospects. I'm sure Theo would pounce on an opportunity to get Price for as cheap as you are suggesting, it would be a complete steal (pending an extension of course).

patg006

Liked Posts:
Scout.com comps mean nothing, Manaea has slipped to a possible #7 pick while Gray may now even be on par with Appel, things change a shit ton, and maybe the picture isn't all that clear yet, but all I'm saying is that it is a consensus that Appel and Gray are now far ahead of the pack.

Manea is a top 4 pick, oftentimes predicted 2 or 3 to go to the Cubs after Appel. But I guess your crystal ball knows all instead of MLB scouts and analysis......

Almora is more polished than your typical prospects, that is why he is the safest bet, and he is solid all around while other prospects we have obvious struggles in certain areas (Baez too aggressive, Soler simply is a bit flashy, I like him over Almora, but Almora is the safer bet to make it).

You know who else was "more polished" than "other prospects?" Brandon Wood (for you willrust,) Cory Patterson, Drew Brazelton. I can name countless others highly hyped and praised for their "polished play" and busted. But your crystal ball knows more than facts and history......ergo; Almora is infallible.

Tremendous logic. I simply must get whatever you have to forsee the future.

Look at what it took to get Matt fucking Garza: A #1 prospect and a #3 prospect with similar hype at the time (Archer and Lee), another Top 10 (Guyer), an MLB player (Fuld), and a depth catcher (Chirinos). Now, take a pitcher several times better, offer similarly hyped prospects (Almora and Soler), a decent prospect (Struck), and a guy who has barely pitched professionally in 2 years (Maples), and tell me if they accept that.

Let me know how "top 10" guy Brandon Guyer is doing? Career .188 hitter? He must have been such a kidney shot to give up for a proven starting pitcher. Chris Archer cant stay afloat at the ML level and constantly gets sent down; Hak Ju Lee struggled with a .261 average in AA with over 100 strikeouts in 500 ABs. Man those two were nut shots to let go of for the sake of putting something competitive out there......

Cardinals offering Miller and Tavares would be something TB would jump all over. Why? Because those two are even better that Baez, Almora, and Soler right now, and are both Top 5-Top 10 prospects in baseball (Though Baez was projected to be ranked #3 by next year, that's just a projection, not sure what each's value will be like next year). There is no better package to offer than the one you mentioned for them unless we surround Castro and Rizzo with good prospects. I'm sure Theo would pounce on an opportunity to get Price for as cheap as you are suggesting, it would be a complete steal (pending an extension of course).

Rays will put him on the block this winter, and Olney reports they're enamored with cubs prospects; but STL has firepower in their lottery ticket department; watch them send away another Brett Wallace like bust for the filet mignon.

Theo is going to balk at any opportunity to get Price; doesnt fit his "ignore the ML team for the sake of building the farm" MO.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Manea is a top 4 pick, oftentimes predicted 2 or 3 to go to the Cubs after Appel. But I guess your crystal ball knows all instead of MLB scouts and analysis......

You know who else was "more polished" than "other prospects?" Brandon Wood (for you willrust,) Cory Patterson, Drew Brazelton. I can name countless others highly hyped and praised for their "polished play" and busted. But your crystal ball knows more than facts and history......ergo; Almora is infallible.

Tremendous logic. I simply must get whatever you have to forsee the future.

Let me know how "top 10" guy Brandon Guyer is doing? Career .188 hitter? He must have been such a kidney shot to give up for a proven starting pitcher. Chris Archer cant stay afloat at the ML level and constantly gets sent down; Hak Ju Lee struggled with a .261 average in AA with over 100 strikeouts in 500 ABs. Man those two were nut shots to let go of for the sake of putting something competitive out there......

Rays will put him on the block this winter, and Olney reports they're enamored with cubs prospects; but STL has firepower in their lottery ticket department; watch them send away another Brett Wallace like bust for the filet mignon.

Theo is going to balk at any opportunity to get Price; doesnt fit his "ignore the ML team for the sake of building the farm" MO.

It isn't about how the prospects we traded for Garza turned out, it is about how they were viewed at the time, at which time it took what looked like a lot even if it didn't completely pan out, and Archer is still ranked their #1 prospect.

That's like saying the Cubs felt Broglio was worth what Brock turned out to be because of the success Brock had after the trade... you need to look at it from the time it was made when analyzing what it would take to net that trade.

And I don't know whose mock drafts you've been looking at or how old they are, but I have yet to find one from the last two-three months that has Manaea that high. Hell, I've seen him as low as 12th during that time, but usually closer to 6th or 7th. Meanwhile, Gray's stock has absolutely soared through the roof.