The Book on John DeFilippo

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I get what you're saying. But his resume is basically the offensive version of Mike Tomlin.

And in today's NFL, good offenses are built around good QBs. You can't discount the work he's done with Wentz and turning him into a good QB as his QB coach.

If teams even have him on the HC radar, then his resume isn't a big issue. It's just like any other 1st time coach. It's a projection. Even an experienced coordinator hasn't proved he can be a successful head coach.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So what that he is good working with a QB, he's a QB coach that is sort of his job.

An OC is responsible for overseeing the entire offensive staff not just one position.

To me I'm more interested in a HC who has experience overseeing just one position and I would put greater emphasis over leadership and less on if they have play calling experience.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
So what that he is good working with a QB, he's a QB coach that is sort of his job.

An OC is responsible for overseeing the entire offensive staff not just one position.

To me I'm more interested in a HC who has experience overseeing just one position and I would put greater emphasis over leadership and less on if they have play calling experience.

You can't say it's 1 position like all positions are created equal. An offense isn't successful if the QB isn't.

And a head coach oversees the whole team not just the offense. Every job is a step up. And it's not like he hasn't been an OC before. His leadership would obviously be something a GM would have to gauge.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
And I'm not caping for DeFilippo. He's probably my 3rd or 4th choice right now. I understand wanting to see him as a great coordinator before giving him a head coaching job, but that's not a chance you're likely to get. Even if he's the Bears OC, he's gone to another team once he's successful. If he is Philly's OC and does well, the Bears will already have a HC in place so won't be able to get him assuming their HC isn't a disaster.

You either think he's potentially a good coach or he's not. If you think he could be, you get him now. And he's on a lot of team's lists because many think he can be a good coach.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Can't make up your mind? Nagy has never called plays in the NFL so it's a gamble.

No, I cannot. I'll likely keep flip flopping for a while...but I read an article that said if Nagy gets a HC gig he would bring Pettine with him. It was one of the reasons I was so high on Flip because of his ties to Pettine. I like both candidates but I'm leaning towards Nagy right now...and he has called plays this year.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
The more I look at Pat Shurmer the more I like. Hope you’re doing a rundown on him as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He is the guy if you are looking for someone who has had some HC experience, and has been a very good OC in this league. The job he has done with Case Keenum, a career journeyman has been outstanding, not to mention finding a running game once Cook went down for the season.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Can't make up your mind? Nagy has never called plays in the NFL so it's a gamble.

Nagy is calling the plays now in KC and has for the last two games. It's obviously not much call playing time at all but D.Peterson never called plays for Andy.....but Peterson also has a great QB running his team so..........................

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The more I look at Pat Shurmer the more I like. Hope you’re doing a rundown on him as well.

He's very high on my list

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Who are you describing?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
You simply cannot overlook the Andy Reid coaching tree. The more I look into Nagy and considering the Bears situation, I like him more and more. Let Nagy run the offense with a lot of RPOs for Mitch that he’s accustomed to and let boss man pettine run the defense. That’s a beautiful coaching transition to move the team into contention.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who are you describing?

Nobody in particular. Just stating what I look for in a HC.

The most important thing they must posses is leadership. The next thing of importance is experience being a HC or Coordinator. Without this executive experience you are taking a real chance that they may lack the ability to multi task and be the chief. A position coach is just such a big jump and I'm not sure I qualify his 1 year in Cleveland as substantial enough. Third on my list is play calling experience. I can live with a HC who never called plays so long as he checks boxes 1 and 2 and he has a good network of coaches to bring in to be his coordinators.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I do like Shurmur the OC but I don't know if he has that charisma and leadership that you want in a HC.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The most important thing they must posses is leadership. The next thing of importance is experience being a HC or Coordinator. Without this executive experience you are taking a real chance that they may lack the ability to multi task and be the chief. A position coach is just such a big jump and I'm not sure I qualify his 1 year in Cleveland as substantial enough. Third on my list is play calling experience. I can live with a HC who never called plays so long as he checks boxes 1 and 2 and he has a good network of coaches to bring in to be his coordinators.

But at some point we need to hire a real person.

I agree with everything you are saying. But we don't know how charismatic these guys are and how much command they have. We also don't have anyone who fits all the criteria you are looking for.

At some point an actual name needs to be picked.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
Let's see if Loggains stays off the leash for the next few games. If he does then he could very well remain at least as the OC (though this would be down to a new HC of course) which from the development perspective of Trubisky could be far more beneficial.

It then allows for the Bears to have the option of a defensive HC like Matt Patricia or Dennis Allen (not my choice but the Saints are playing well).

Or you could go for a Loggains HC / Pagano or Pettine DC combo (this is based around Fangio choosing to leave off course)

Personally despite the debacle that has been the Bears offence this season I think Loggains is a very creative OC and he has been held back hugely by Fox and his conservative playing style. Last season he schemed a lot of offensive weapons open and did it regularly. He didn't have a good enough QB then. He does now.

To be fair John Morton seems to be doing a great job for the Jets. Making it work with very little.

The Eagles have some great offensive talent to work with with their OL, TEs and reasonably good WRs. RBs aren't bad either.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:

John Fox brought both leadership and experience.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Let's see if Loggains stays off the leash for the next few games. If he does then he could very well remain at least as the OC (though this would be down to a new HC of course) which from the development perspective of Trubisky could be far more beneficial.

It then allows for the Bears to have the option of a defensive HC like Matt Patricia or Dennis Allen (not my choice but the Saints are playing well).

Or you could go for a Loggains HC / Pagano or Pettine DC combo (this is based around Fangio choosing to leave off course)

Personally despite the debacle that has been the Bears offence this season I think Loggains is a very creative OC and he has been held back hugely by Fox and his conservative playing style. Last season he schemed a lot of offensive weapons open and did it regularly. He didn't have a good enough QB then. He does now.

To be fair John Morton seems to be doing a great job for the Jets. Making it work with very little.

The Eagles have some great offensive talent to work with with their OL, TEs and reasonably good WRs. RBs aren't bad either.

Morton is an intriguing guy. The production he is getting from the Jets nobody offense is impressive.

But he is a 1 year play caller, without a QB background.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
John Fox brought both leadership and experience.

His leadership is questionable but I will give you that one. Those are both macro traits he gets a check for. But then you look at the micro traits and that is where Fox has a long history of short comings.