The Book on Matt Nagy

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I did some digging into Matt Nagy as a coaching candidate as his name gets out there in the coaching circles. I found a very interesting option and a very interesting offense and I would feel pretty good about a Matt Nagy hire for the Bears.

Personal

39 years old
College QB: Delaware
Arena League QB: 02-08

-I am a fan that he has played the QB position. I think there is a unique mental angle to the position that if difficult to understand if you have not played the position. That is not saying you cannot be a great QB coach without it, but it is a unique position in sports with the pressure and demands on you everyday as a leader.

Coaching

2008-2012 Philadelphia Eagles [Offensive Quality Control]
2013-2015 Kansas City Chiefs [QB Coach]
2016-2017 Kansas City Chiefs [Offensive Coordinator]

-I like that Andy Ried has kept him around for almost a decade. When a great coach sees talent my guess is that he ensures you stay close.

-Ried has spoken very highly of Nagy and some around the Chiefs think he is a better head coaching candidate than Perderson was, and Pederson is having a ton of success.

-Nagy is now calling plays for the Chiefs till the end of the season and that gives the evaluation of him some serious help. Ried has called plays forever and he must feel very confident in Nagy to give him the headset.

Scheme

-The Chiefs run one of the most unique systems in the NFL and it seems like a blend of west coast, air raid, power run-play action, and even some old school option. I think that is the type of creativity and innovation that the Bears do not have.

-Since Nagy took over, which many in KC think was at halftime of the Buffalo game, the Chiefs have run a ton of RPO [Run Pass Option] and have been in shotgun a lot more. In the 6 quarters that Nagy was running the offense the Chiefs ran 17 RPO plays and a majority of their runs had pass options built in on the backside. This is an area where I think Trubisky would be very successful as it mimiced what he did at UNC.
1. Trubisky is a threat to run the ball out of the shotgun
2. Jordan Howard is a very good shotgun runner
3. Gives the defense 3 things to defend on the same play an opens up passing lanes

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/12/6/16740914/the-matt-nagy-effect

-Because of Alex Smith's arm limitations the Chiefs do a really nice job of scheming to get easier throws down the field. On 2 of HIll's longer completions they run multple players in front of the safety and make him pick someone to cover. In both case he attacked up towards Kelce and Harris and left Hill with inside leverage going downfield 1 on 1 with the middle of the field open.

-Nagy threw the ball down field a ton against the Jets and was very aggressive, which is something that has been incredibly lacking in the Bears offense.

-One of the more diverse and better screen teams in the NFL.

-They throw to the RB a lot out of the backfield, which fits well with the best way to use Cohen and gives the QB easy completions and yardage and allows him to establish a rhythm.

-They use a lot of spread concepts in that they flood the coverage with route runners. On almost all of their passing plays they had 4 players in the route concept and the RB releasing pretty quickly. Trubisky coming from a spread could make this an easier transition. It also does not allow teams to run guys underneath routes and to play a ton of zone concepts, which has been where he has struggled.

-Threaten you vertical with a lot of players from a lot of positions. The Chiefs consistently have someone forcing the safeties back and stretching the field vertically, but they do it with a bunch of guys. Hill on the outside and in the slot, Wilson in the slot, Kelce from the TE position. This makes it super difficult to slant your coverage or set your safeties. It creates indecision in the backend. If you X WR is the only guy who attacks vertically it is very easy for a S to cheat over or a CB to run deep with a LB underneath on most snaps.

Bears Needs

Luckily the Bears need a complete offensive overhaul and they can tailor things to Nagy. Some personnel notes are below and areas where the Bears must improve or where they match up.

Match Up Nicely

-Center: The center in this system appears to left to deal with players on there own a decent amount. The Chiefs have always invested serious talent in the position [Hudson, Morse] because they do not want to help the C. Morse, until he was injured, was blocking the NT a lot on his own. Because they release the RBs so much they need the interior OL to pick up the blitz package.

-Tight End: The Chiefs run a basketball team out at TE, Kelce [6'6"], Travis [6'7"], Harris [6'7"]. The Chiefs also use the TE to threaten downfield and to go vertical in the seam. This should be a role that both Shaheen and Brown can fill. Both are really big guys with enough athletic ability to threaten you downfield.

-Running Back: Howard is a very good shotgun runner and Cohen can catch out the the backfield, which is a requirement of someone in the RB group. In a perfect world Howard would be able to catch, but the Bears have a group here that can match what the Chiefs have pretty easily.

-Quarterback: It was rumored that the Chiefs were very high on Trubisky and it makes sense since he appears to be a more physically talented version of Smith. Both are mobile, accurate and can threaten a defense with their legs.

Areas of Need

-WR Speed: The Chiefs and Eagles under Ried have always had a ton of speed and elite speed at WR. The Bears have next to NO speed at the WR position. Hill [4.29], Conley [4.35], Wilson [4.42] are a track team and it allows the Chiefs to attack vertically from every spot on the field.

-Offensive Tackle: The Chiefs do not help their OTs in pass protection, they put them on an island a lot and I am not sure that Massie is going to fit that type of pass blocking requirements. The Chiefs have invested heavily at the OT position Fisher [1st overall, 4 years 48 million] and Schwartz [5 years 33 million], so that they can get as many people as possible into the route concept.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
My very uneducated worry is that Nagy with develop Trubisky into Alex Smith. I’m hiping Trubisky becomes more of a dynamic QB, more like Wentz.

So my hope is that Nagy incorporates enough of that deep passing game we saw at points this year in KC and we don’t get a dink and dunk Shoop like offense.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
His offense did a very good job at spreading the ball around and creating mismatches. Especially when you look at TEs and running backs out of the back field.

Luke

Liked Posts:
didn't smith lead the league in completed passes over 20 yards this year?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
His offense did a very good job at spreading the ball around and creating mismatches. Especially when you look at TEs and running backs out of the back field.

Yes, but that’s easy to do with the talent they have. How will the scheme do with our players? We will find it.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
My very uneducated worry is that Nagy with develop Trubisky into Alex Smith. I’m hiping Trubisky becomes more of a dynamic QB, more like Wentz.

So my hope is that Nagy incorporates enough of that deep passing game we saw at points this year in KC and we don’t get a dink and dunk Shoop like offense.

lol.......I think an OC tailors his plan to fit the pieces he has around him.

Nagy: I know you can scramble and throw the ball accurately in the post route but I was kind of hoping to see more 3 yard swing passes.....

Trubisky: uh....ok

Luke

Liked Posts:
didn't smith lead the league in completed passes over 20 yards this year?

nope, I heard wrong. he was 3rd in passes over 40+ however.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, but that’s easy to do with the talent they have. How will the scheme do with our players? We will find it.

I don't think Loggains got the most out of what we have......certainly we will need better WRs but our players were running the same shit over and over and did not mix up a lot of plays.......it would have been nice to see more xing routes and designed mismatches with the TEs....Loggains could have a trick play or two but was fairly noncreative when it came to find the right mismatches.

ob1force

Liked Posts:
Also. . .

Get to know free agent to be: ALBERT WILSON

Why? He will be in every mock offseason from here on out

122214-AlbertWilsonFeature-Thumb--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

Can stretch the field with his 4.3 speed, go-go gadget type of player. Think Taylor Gabriel, Marqise Goodwin, etc. Knows Nagy's offense thus can slide right in.

Had a 147 receiving yard game in the 2017 finale with Mahomes at QB. Has a couple 450+ yard seasons. He's as solid as a WR4 option you will find.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

How about if he develops him into Donovan McCnab? I’m sure we should all be happy if that happens

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

I think Smith was holding Nagy back.

But if Trubisky should happen to have Grossman's ability to throw the ball to the defense when going deep it's good to know Nagy can dial that back.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:

Trubisky has more arm talent than Smith so likely that you’ll see more deep to intermediate shots.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was sold before you posted this... But, nice, I'm liking what I'm hearing/reading here and elsewhere.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trubisky has more arm talent than Smith so likely that you’ll see more deep to intermediate shots.

And Smith still had the 2nd highest yards per pass in the entire league under Nagy.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:

If a Bears QB puts up numbers like Alex Smith did this year they will build a fucking statue of him outside Soldier Field.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
If a Bears QB puts up numbers like Alex Smith did this year they will build a fucking statue of him outside Soldier Field.

And yet KC will probably trade Smith in the offseason...��

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/red-zone/article193551879.html

Thoughts on what Bears can expect from Matt Nagy, plus Chiefs’ top OC candidates
BY TEREZ A. PAYLOR

tpaylor@kcstar.com

LINKEDIN
GOOGLE+
PINTEREST
REDDIT
PRINT
ORDER REPRINT OF THIS STORY
JANUARY 08, 2018 12:27 PM

Kudos to Chicago Bears general manager Ryan Pace for hiring Chiefs offensive coordinator Matt Nagy. It’s a smart move.

First off, the Bears’ future rests in its ability to develop quarterback Mitchell Trubisky. Period. They gave up resources to get him, and Pace’s tenure will likely depend on how well Trubisky plays. Giving him a creative, offensive-minded head coach with a quarterbacking background was paramount, and Nagy, a former Arena League quarterback, fits the bill.

At 39, Nagy is still young enough to relate to players, and I can’t stress enough how many positive things I heard about him from players. Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith, who had a career year this season as he finally started to consistently push the ball downfield, loves Nagy.

“Awesome — killer,” Smith told me when asked about Nagy’s ability to relate to players. “When he got to be up in the room in front of everybody as a coordinator, you never know how guys are going to handle that. I think the thing all of us appreciate is that he didn’t even blink.

“A lot of guys get up there and puff their chest or something and change. But (here) you’re just like, ‘Same old Nags.’ Still laid back and having fun, loves what he’s doing, loves ball, loves joking with the guys. You can see that and I think guys really appreciate that, and I think that’s only carried on even more.”

Nagy’s personality also shines through in interviews, where he answers questions genuinely and with a smile, while adequately walking the tightrope between giving just enough to fill reporters’ notebooks but not giving away too much. He has the look of somebody who can be the face of a franchise.

But what Bears fans should really like is Nagy’s creativity and knack for calling plays. Since he took over as the primary playcaller for coach Andy Reid in early December, the Chiefs’ offense came alive again after a miserable two-month slump, as Nagy consistently dialed up the zone-running plays they used to so much success earlier this season. Nagy is a sharp guy who also increased the reliance on run-pass options that Smith likes so much and cut down the “trick-ya” plays the offense had grown too fond of.

“I think he thinks a little different from Coach (Reid) and kind of adds to that, where now you’re kind of getting some of the spice that’s not your typical West Coast offense,” Smith told me. “Coach lets him put that in here and there and we showed we can handle it. I think that’s why, the last couple years, there’s a little more diversity in the stuff we do. That’s what I appreciate. I think he loves to stay aggressive and I think that’s what’s rubbed off on us.”

Now, I know Bears fans want to know who was calling plays in the second half of the Titans’ loss, in which the Chiefs blew an 18-point lead. I don’t think that will be easy to find out; despite Nagy’s increased playcalling role, Reid still had oversight and involvement, which means he deserves some credit for the late-season offensive revival, too. It’s not as simple as saying Nagy called the good plays while Reid called the bad ones, as Reid consistently joked when asked about the playcalling after the game.

Overall, the inability to put the Titans away was a team failure, one in which everybody shared a piece of the blame. The Chiefs dialed up all those second-half passes, I suspect, because they knew running the ball against the Titans would be tough sledding.

The Titans had the league’s fourth-best run defense, and they devote multiple resources to stopping the run. Running the ball against that front consistently was never going to happen with this offensive line, and I suspect the coaches knew that, which is why they dialed up so many passing plays. Those were open, by the way; there was a failure to execute by the quarterback (missed shots) and receivers (drops).

So, really, who cares who was calling the plays in the second half (well, except for that horrendous third-and-1 sprint option — there was no excuse for that). I honestly don’t think an increased emphasis on the run would have helped. The Titans’ physical front would have shut that down, they would have still blown the lead, and everyone would be crushing Reid for “going into a shell” anyway. What needed to happen was for the passes they dialed up against the league’s 25th-ranked pass defense to work. They were open, but nerves got tight as the Titans mounted a comeback, they couldn’t catch a break and execution was off.

Anyway, Bears fans, nothing is certain in the NFL, but I think Nagy, because of his personality and playcalling knack, is one of the best head coaching candidates Reid has had in Kansas City (better than the Eagles’ Doug Pederson), and I think your team made a good hire. Take that for it’s worth.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

They have a mid-round WR, a very good TE, and a mid-round RB. Other than that they have nobodies at the skill positions. Albert Wilson is their other starting WR.