The Case for Fornette or Mike Williams

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This guy is elite, he is on the board and we should discuss. (discussed in third post, is idea that to win this draft we have to take Fournette off the board so that we can negotiate a fair trade for the pick, precisely because nobody thinks we will, the Jaguars could benefit from an elite running back and teams may want to jump them, as I think about this, a trade down with Fournette as the chip is one of the more likely draft day scenarios, but this post first about considering keeping him)

The Case for Mike Williams is easy. For one, you could double dip potentially on a slight trade up for Watson. Instantly bringing a chunk of the cog of the best college offense to Chicago.
It entirely revolves around Jeffery. If we go into the draft in May without Jeffery...is Mike Williams in play?

There are only a few "elite" players for me in this draft. We could draft for position, but sitting at #3 is tricky, because you don't get the obvious elite players probably like Garrett, and with less certainty taking need is more probable. We can't do that, we have to take an elite player whatever position they play. At #3 particularly I would advocate for BPA.

Is BPA going to be Fournette?

Elite players

Fournette, Garrett, Hooker

Hooker caught an STD and is undraftable at #3 without running or combine, imo, already coming injured. What was a safety reach, became impossible.
That means its really likely Fournette is the only guaranteed elite player available to us.

We don't need him. We have Howard? You need two backs...why not have two great ones? Why not have two flavors. Why not have a tormenting backfield that can dominate you even with one pro-bowl running back out. We could have 2 x 1000 for 4-6 years and probably make a trade and bring back some of the value. Elongate Howards career. Preserve them both.

Allan and Watson and Trubs and Adams have the upside of the 3 players above. Probably Mike Williams is close, and there are others. But all have at least one big red flag after you pass on those big 3.

Watson is the hardest to evaluate for me because of Mike Williams. About the only thing we knock him for, is these risky out passes.

At 68% and with the eye ball test, Watson is more accurate than Trubs particularly, but also Kizer. But he throws these wreckless out balls. And just floats it up to the edge.

But the case could be made he does that BECAUSE he has wideouts that will probably win that, and for no other reason. He manages games impeccably, because he has the gas in the tank to burn at the end if and only if he needs to take risk. Then he does, and he probably wins. This is how every NFL game materializes, and last drive wins.

Ask yourself this...

3 years from now. Its a first round playoff game. Down 4. Final drive. Do you want Watson or do you want Trubisky? If we are all honest with ourselves, that question should bring a few over to the Watson camp. If you pass on Watson, I recommend you are damn sure. And to soften the potential blow, take the most likely Hall of Famer.

Garrett or Fournette.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Draft yourself an identity!!! When everyone is pulling....push!!! RB and defense can win still. If Fournette is a hall of famer and we take a bust QB we aren't helping. If we do have the balls to take Fournette, we will have the top RB in the NFL every week even if we have an injury to a top running back(which is going to happen almost every year for periods, and some years to IR. We will be able to maintain identity every week and that is something you can build the rest of the pieces around.

if we have Fournette/Howard on this team...and Fangio...we will compete every single week.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The other thing to discuss...

Is if there is a major value dip after Garrett/Fournette we should take the LSU running back, because its the only way to force a trade down package. Some teams are probably willing to sit and wait...but similar to Trent Richardson...that pick has a ton of hope and value in it. Its worth a massive package. We could accumulate 3-5 extra picks, trade down far...give up Fournette to a playoff team...draft the top 3 QB that falls, and have 9-10 picks the rest of the way, some more next year.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
While I think the Bears can pick up a great RB in the middle rounds (Joe Mixon), Fournette is the BPA of the entire draft. He's like that character from xmen. If he gains any momentum at all, he becomes unstoppable. The linebackers and safeties have to totally sell out at the snap of the ball because the only way to stop Fournette is at the line of scrimmage.

Luke

Liked Posts:
I agree, Hooker will be undraftable at #3 now but lets see how Adams/Lattimore run as they could be in the picture. I'm not a big Allen guy. I get the value of Fournette but teams will take a slightly lesser graded player for need especially when they are set at the position.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Wish I could say TL;DR but alas I did.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well...just realize Fox/Logaines are going to put 300 carries on Howard to save their jobs in a lost season.

Accept that. Now consider with me...what you prefer.

Howard 315 carries

or
Howard 215 carries
Fournette 215 carries

Thats 400 quality running back carries. At nearly 5 yards a pop each. Its consistent. It won't go down to injury. Its a two headed monster and we could solidify an identity. Or we could just ride Howard to an untimely death in a rebuild.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
What do you think about the Bears bringing back the Wishbone offense? It would totally stump these young DC's. #blackandbluedivision

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What do you think about the Bears bringing back the Wishbone offense? It would totally stump these young DC's. #blackandbluedivision

#smashmouth

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Bears drafted a WR or RB in the first three rounds I think I'd puke. Forte/Howard, Marshall, Jeffrey and White?

Barf.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Yeah for like a play! lol

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Bears drafted a WR or RB in the first three rounds I think I'd puke. Forte/Howard, Marshall, Jeffrey and White?

Barf.

Forte + Marshall + Jeffery + White may equal exactly zero for bears on 2017. Hopefully Jeffery comes back and White develops a game. But after OTAs and free agency Pace will know more. The caveat was IF Jeffery leaves for Mike Williams in the beginning.

So if that happens, Merideth is your #1 and good luck because I won't be watching again out of aneurism risk.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I like the ideal of a second good RB. Langford is not even backup worthy. But not at 3. It's BPA at Position of need. So it comes down to what we need come draft time.

Parkway Drive

Liked Posts:
Love Mike Williams- to me, he's Alshon esque without the slight baggage.

However, this is just a hunch, I think Dalvin Cook has the best career of any back in this class.

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:
I like it! Draft Fournette at #3, focus on defense ... what would you suppose we do at quarterback?

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like the ideal of a second good RB. Langford is not even backup worthy. But not at 3. It's BPA at Position of need. So it comes down to what we need come draft time.

I agree. The Bears are comfortable at RB. I like Langford better than some and would be fine if the Bears stand pat at RB. I would also be perfectly fine at taking a change of pace type of guy in the mid rounds. But, where the Bears are right now, talent-wise, simply going with BPA without regard to position or need isn't the best course of action. The Bears need a lot of positions. Some of these needs might be met in FA. But you can only do so much through FA; at some point you need to draft your depth and talent.

Reactions: DC

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
RB and QB are the few positions where BPA goes out the window. A second running back doesn't help your team that much.

It's Garrett/Trubisky if they are available. If they go 1,2 then it gets interesting.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
If the Bears want to take a RB high I would prefer McCaffrey in the second as he will not cost the third pick, can actually catch the ball, can line up in the slot and provides a contrast to Howard.

That being said I am not taking any back that high. We just had a 5th round pick finish second in the NFL in rushing.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
For the love of 'who the fcuk knows who' I would simply love the Bears to dominate in FA (particularly on the defensive side) and then take Fournette in the first and trade our 2nd for Garoppolo. To see Howard and Fournette running over that motherfcuker clay matthews would bring me so much joy.

a 3-4 of hicks, goldman and calais campbell and Floyd and McPhee manhandling that motherfcuker (great talent but who cares) Rodgers twice a years ABSOLUTELY DOES IT FOR ME!.

Bring on the BPA picks in FA and the DRAFT.

I ask everyone on this board to YouTube the highlights of Fournette! Seriously WHY THE FCUK NOT?

Him and Howard PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN