The Chicago Bears defense is no longer special. What happens next?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No one knows until the games are played, but people saying the defense is going to fall way back aren’t living in reality. We lost Fuller. That’s really it, and he wasn’t playing that well. Plus his off coverage style allowed easy completions which negated our pass rush. And now we get Goldman back, which will greatly help our run defense, allowing the D to be more aggressive.

On offense, RB is by far better. Our interior OL got figured out and will have a full off-season to gel. TE will be better with a year experience for Kmart. WR...well, it gets better because of a year experience for Mooney and getting rid of Miller. QB is improved, at minimum.

Lots can happen before and during the season to change things. But on paper, this is NOT a bad team. No way.

so you're saying Fuller wasn't good last year?

and the way he lined up was just his personal style?

uh... what?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
so you're saying Fuller wasn't good last year?

and the way he lined up was just his personal style?

uh... what?
So you’re saying Fuller was and is a sticky cover CB, and now multiple DCs were simply using him wrong?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So you’re saying Fuller was and is a sticky cover CB, and now multiple DCs were simply using him wrong?

wtf is this?

are you trying to say Fuller was bad or something?

or are you suggesting it's up to the player to choose where they line up?

what is even happening?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears defense hasn't been special since around November 2012.

No longer good, I think is what they mean.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fuller was a good, solid player. He was never a shutdown corner and was hardly worth a $20 million salary. Let it go people.

Yep, Fuller is a classic zone corner who plays well facing the LOS and struggles to find the ball when he has to turn and run.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This. ^^^

ok, yeah. I agree with @bamainatlanta but that is not who I replied to.

this is what I replied too:

We lost Fuller. That’s really it, and he wasn’t playing that well. Plus his off coverage style allowed easy completions which negated our pass rush.

not sure why you're quoting a tangential point from bama that actually contradicts (LOL) what you said. kinda weird

Visionman

Liked Posts:
ok, yeah. I agree with @bamainatlanta but that is not who I replied to.

this is what I replied too:

not sure why you're quoting a tangential point from bama that actually contradicts (LOL) what you said. kinda weird
Fuller almost always played off coverage. That was what he was good at, and how he was used. It was also his biggest flaw.

Not sure what’s so hard to understand about that...

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fuller was a good, solid player. He was never a shutdown corner and was hardly worth a $20 million salary. Let it go people.

I mean, I agree about Fuller. But you're being kind of disingenuous when you make it sound like paying him $20 mil was the only option for keeping him.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fuller almost always played off coverage. That was what he was good at, and how he was used. It was also his biggest flaw.

Not sure what’s so hard to understand about that...

I see you

doing the remy zone

well, I'll not have it! go ahead and keep bashing Fuller to make yourself feel better about the team. cause I guess that's what we do with ex players around here

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I see you

doing the remy zone

well, I'll not have it! go ahead and keep bashing Fuller to make yourself feel better about the team. cause I guess that's what we do with ex players around here
Who bashed Fuller? I never said he’s a bad player. Just not the best fit for our defense. Nothing more, nothing less.

And then I replied to your question on it...lol. Hardly a vortex!

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The Bears don't need a 'special' top 5 defense tbh. They just have to be good enough. Look at the teams who made deep runs - those defensive units weren't 'special' or terribly daunting to face. They were just solid defenses.

The Bears need to be more balanced and the offense has been ignored for too long. Unfortunately, none of this really matters until the Bears find a QB. Which won't be this upcoming season.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The Bears don't need a 'special' top 5 defense tbh. They just have to be good enough. Look at the teams who made deep runs - those defensive units weren't 'special' or terribly daunting to face. They were just solid defenses.

The Bears need to be more balanced and the offense has been ignored for too long. Unfortunately, none of this really matters until the Bears find a QB. Which won't be this upcoming season.

Which brings me to the point I have been making all off-season, if Pace wants the guy then I dont want Pace drafting him

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I mean, I agree about Fuller. But you're being kind of disingenuous when you make it sound like paying him $20 mil was the only option for keeping him.

He turned down a pay cut and no one wanted to trade for him. I guess they could have extended him though

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Dude, Hicks has been hurt the last two years, he likely will again. Quinn sucked ass last year, who would expect a 180? Eddie has been bad since he picked off Rodgers at the end of 2018 and hurt himself. Mack hasn't been great since that first game of 2018.

People keep expecting this D to get good again, but age is running against them.

I think we all have to embrace for the worst.

By far and wide the fuckin stupidest thing I’ve read this year.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
the problem with this team, and the casual fanbase, is they "needed" those worthless wins against terrible teams at the end of the season last year. and the 7th playoff seed/backing in thing was vital to their mental health or something. they should've ran with like Bray at quarterback and pretended it was like preseason to evaluate the backups and get a slightly higher position in the draft. the team was completely uncompetitive against the Packers and Saints; they weren't winning anything, so what was the long-term goal point of that?

Blah blah blah ONLY LOSERS WANT THEIR TEAM TO LOSE

If we lost to Jacksonville and Minnesota, we'd be in SUCH a better position right now. Anyone who doesn't think so is a fucking meatball.