The Collapse

CSF77

Liked Posts:
24-25 has 2 Ace level pitchers with 2 others who might be if they aren't injured again. That's also waiting until the need is highest to fill them versus getting a good pitcher this offseason and possibly tossing another year away. Teams that will have approximately 50M or more in projected CBT room who will also be looking for top flight SP and have a history of giving out big contracts. Baltimore, Boston, Yankees, Toronto, Houston. Angels, Rangers, Braves, Mets, Phillies, Dodgers, Giants, and even the Padres might dive back into the fray. Some might take themselves out this coming offseason. But you're still looking at probably 10 competitors for those guys.

Extending Alzolay and Steele makes no sense until they've hit Arb year 2 and are heading into Arb 3. At the very least they should show next year that they have what it takes during the Arb 1 year.

I think that you are too concerned about pointless stuff.

Teams build depth for injury and most teams leave a cushion in payroll for a add at the deadline.

What you have to look at is each guy and say: Is he a major league starter. A middle relief that can be used. Emergency depth.

Steele: starter
Stroman: starter
Taillon: starter
Wicks: starter
Hendricks: starter
Assad: Middle relief
Smyly: middle relief

so these guys should be set.

cusp guys
Thompson
Killian
Brown

These guys should see opportunities if they are not used in trades. With Killian, Jed will have to use or lose. There are plenty of teams that will take a chance on him. Chicago has plenty of cast offs that ended up on major league teams.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What I can say about it is this: if Jed and Tom were on board with investing into the rotation this year then both would have not singled out Kyle.

It is pretty simple. To add to this listen to what Jed said on this. He said next year and beyond.

So I kinda expect a life long Cub deal. That way Jed can keep Kyle around and at a lower pay rate.

He is building the rotation internal and Kyle is a guy that the young talent can look to for advice

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
If it is me, I am signing Belly, and trading for Alonso if he is truly on the market.

I wouldn't pay Belly over 25 million, I think he still has a strong possibility of massive regression, given how hard it is for him to hit fastballs. If he wants more than that I let him walk.

SO Alonso and Belly would be about 41 million next year. I wouldn't stress about the Cubs starting staff at all, just spend money on relief pitching or trades to keep it cheap.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If it is me, I am signing Belly, and trading for Alonso if he is truly on the market.

I wouldn't pay Belly over 25 million, I think he still has a strong possibility of massive regression, given how hard it is for him to hit fastballs. If he wants more than that I let him walk.

SO Alonso and Belly would be about 41 million next year. I wouldn't stress about the Cubs starting staff at all, just spend money on relief pitching or trades to keep it cheap.

Cody has one of the best two strike counts in MLB. He is a winner.

Alonso makes sense if they feel that Morel can play passable 3B. That gives PCA extra time in Iowa to adjust.

So I will agree on the players. But not on Cody. He is worth 30M AAV. Plays multi positions at a high level. Puts the team first. Is a leader. Hits over .300 and has 30 HR power.

He is a core type and to keep NYY off of him it will get into 30M.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sof
12:44Who do you believe is the best options for first base and third base next season?
Tim Dierkes
12:45The thing that makes this hard to answer is that I don't know what Jed's payroll limit is. I assume like most GMs he has X amount of money to spend and needs to do his best within that. The Cubs basically double their payroll space if Stroman opts out, assuming something near the CBT.
The path of trading for Alonso and installing Morel as the regular 3B seems pretty good to me though.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Bp
12:51Why do the Cubs seem uninterested in a plan at 3rd base? No real starter, no real prospect, just constant band aids where there should be serious offensive production
Tim Dierkes
12:53On that topic - I don't know! I don't really get the Madrigal fascination, he's miscast there. Wisdom is a role player. That's why I'm like jeez, could the Cubs just pay Adrian Beltre or Scott Rolen or someone to do a Morel-3B boot camp this winter? He's a 24-year-old DH??

CSF77

Liked Posts:
No shite. Beltre would be awesome as a teacher

CSF77

Liked Posts:
After reading all of that transcript I think a safe play will end up being the call

I can see Morel given some 3B next year but I don't see Jed just giving it to him. He has to take it.

Mervis is in a worse boat but I can see him breaking camp as a power LH bat that gets some at bats to prove that he belongs

So the main issue is can be or are a thing.

So with that said I can see Jed resigning Candy. He provides some insurance and trading for Alonzo. Rest will go to resigning Hendricks and Gomes. Keeping payroll open for Stroman and adjusting if he opts. Then adding vet depth to the pen

This is the most likely scenerio. Most feel that Jed will have a hard cap to work under and will not be able to dump it on Cody

CSF77

Liked Posts:
As far as who you trade for Alonzo? I would guess that Caniro would be a part of the deal. I also think that NYM would want Brown. I could see Jed doing that as Brown has some control issues going on and might end up in the pen. OF is jacked up ATM.