The Cubs Hot Stove Action Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You're making my point. Every move that's been made comes with ridiculously heavy criticism...But no one offers any better options. If the Cubs gave Cano the same deal Seattle did, the same group would've said how badly they overpaid.

And, wouldn't that be a quadruple crown?

maybe im wrong but it seems like the majority that keeps pissn n moaning about everything the cubs do are sox fans on here or just knuckleheads trying to act like a couple of their poster buddies that got kicked put of here..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
maybe im wrong but it seems like the majority that keeps pissn n moaning about everything the cubs do are sox fans on here or just knuckleheads trying to act like a couple of their poster buddies that got kicked put of here..

you focus on the fandom too much. I could create another account and have a sweet juicy kerry wood avy with a nice cubs like name and post exactly the same yet i will get a different response. fact.

so which is it boys? some posters saying "the only ones bitching are sox fans" and than you have the ones saying every cubs fan is bitching. someone pick a lane.

what thei has done or hasnt done isnt my issue. we all know ricketts blows (i hope you all know that) and it is handcuffing theo a bit. The issue I have is every move and no move is a :fap: fest.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
you focus on the fandom too much. I could create another account and have a sweet juicy kerry wood avy with a nice cubs like name and post exactly the same yet i will get a different response. fact.

so which is it boys? some posters saying "the only ones bitching are sox fans" and than you have the ones saying every cubs fan is bitching. someone pick a lane.

what thei has done or hasnt done isnt my issue. we all know ricketts blows (i hope you all know that) and it is handcuffing theo a bit. The issue I have is every move and no move is a :fap: fest.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

haven't seen where every move is a fap fest..
I think everyone agrees Edwin Jackson was an awful signing..
with someone like Bonifacio, he now a part of the team so as a fan you talk about what if any benefits he adds to the team..
haven't seen anyone proclaim his as an all star player but just an upgrade over Barney or a decent Utility player..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The issue I have is every move and no move is a :fap: fest.

And trading an established closer plus a starter for two prospects the D-Backs no longer wanted isn't? I mean I'm not shitting on those moves but it's a bit hypocritical for sox fans to be excited about those moves and then crap on cubs fans for being excited about moves their team has made.

I'm excited about the Bonifacio signing because he might replace one of the 5 worst positional players in baseball(Barney) last year and has a chance to be at least league average. I'm excited about the bullpen additions because the cubs were 29th in WAR with -0.2 for relievers. I wouldn't say I'm excited about the OF but seeing Lake get more playing time is interesting because the cubs were 28th in OBP last year and Soriano as well as some other part time OF were a large part of that. None of those things makes the cubs a playoff team and I've yet to see anyone even remotely suggest that is the case. But, if those moves work out the cubs could win 70-75 games which would be an improvement and given the fact they will see the first wave of their highly touted players show up next year it's hope for the future.

I mean it seems like your issue with people is that they are being fans. To use a corollary, how many 5th-7th round picks for the bears are the second coming of Tom Brady during camp? If someone believes that a player like Bonifacio is a non-factor fine. But why does that necessitate shitting on someone else's opinion often to the point of ridicule? This shit's suppose to be a fun hobby but frankly I find this board often to be quite depressing to read.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
This shit's suppose to be a fun hobby but frankly I find this board often to be quite depressing to read.

Too bad, my grandma died after 80 years of waiting and my parents are going on 60 years. This has been no fun to see for 15 years. It is depressing to see a team not even try to win at the MLB level and worry more about getting out of a legal contract where they have to pay people money.

patg006

Liked Posts:
You're making my point. Every move that's been made comes with ridiculously heavy criticism...But no one offers any better options. If the Cubs gave Cano the same deal Seattle did, the same group would've said how badly they overpaid.

And, wouldn't that be a quadruple crown?

The same group would not have said how badly they overpaid for Cano. Several people offered better options but they were banned because those options didn't include every prospect becoming All Stars for the league minimum salary.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The same group would not have said how badly they overpaid for Cano. Several people offered better options but they were banned because those options didn't include every prospect becoming All Stars for the league minimum salary.

Yes that is why those people were banned....

patg006

Liked Posts:
This shit's suppose to be a fun hobby but frankly I find this board often to be quite depressing to read.

And the baseball the Cubs have put on display the last two years hasn't been depressing to watch?

Maybe some of the opinions reflected on the board are a direct result of the two worst seasons in Cubs history.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yep.

Despite the Royals significant resource and revenue advantage over the Cubs that is allowing them to field a higher major leagye payroll than the Cubs they save about $3,000,000 on keeping Ciriaco in the minors over Bonifacio seeing as you completely missed the point that the Royals will not carry a backup infielder on the major league roster.
They plan to keep Ciriaco in the minors when he is out of options? A fact which is the sole reason Ciriaco is on the Royals right now.

It had nothing to do with depth on the bench.

Nor does it change the fact it is sad that a player let go by the Royals will end up being a starter for the Cubs three seasons into this great rebuilding job.

No it indicates that your statements are at best a half truth here. The Royals released Bonifacio to save money. They thought it was a better use of money to resign Bruce Chen than to keep Bonifacio. And I must have missed where Bonifacio was handed a starting job when he is here on a minor league deal. The guy is going to play all around the diamond most likely since some of the first words on him said by his manager was his ability to play multiple spots in both the infield and outfield.

patg006

Liked Posts:
No it indicates that your statements are at best a half truth here. The Royals released Bonifacio to save money. They thought it was a better use of money to resign Bruce Chen than to keep Bonifacio. And I must have missed where Bonifacio was handed a starting job when he is here on a minor league deal. The guy is going to play all around the diamond most likely since some of the first words on him said by his manager was his ability to play multiple spots in both the infield and outfield.

I pointed out the Royals would save about $3000000. Not sure how that is somehow a half truth.

I also pointed out how the Royals will not carry a backup IF. Not sure how that is somehow a half truth.

I must have missed where saying someone will end up being the starter is handing them a starting job. Not sure how that is somehow a half truth.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I pointed out the Royals would save about $3000000. Not sure how that is somehow a half truth.

I also pointed out how the Royals will not carry a backup IF. Not sure how that is somehow a half truth.

I must have missed where saying someone will end up being the starter is handing them a starting job. Not sure how that is somehow a half truth.

Well I must be missing the point here then because if Pedro Ciriaco doesn't end up on the 25 man roster which apparently is a foregone conclusion he will have to be DFA'd. It would seem likely then that the reason to remove Bonifacio from the roster was financially driven more so than space on roster. So statements like Bonifacio can't make it on one of the worst franchises of the past 25 years seems like it is missing relevant information.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Well I must be missing the point here then because if Pedro Ciriaco doesn't end up on the 25 man roster which apparently is a foregone conclusion he will have to be DFA'd. It would seem likely then that the reason to remove Bonifacio from the roster was financially driven more so than space on roster. So statements like Bonifacio can't make it on one of the worst franchises of the past 25 years seems like it is missing relevant information.

But if Bonifaco was so good, the financial cost would have been irrelevant, no?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
But if Bonifaco was so good, the financial cost would have been irrelevant, no?

And the fact that he is not so good is something I've clearly stated. However, to say that it was a pure baseball talent decision is absurd given the facts.

patg006

Liked Posts:
However, to say that it was a pure baseball talent decision is absurd given the facts.

The Royals look to have also made the decision to keep Jarrod Dyson and Justin Maxwell as extra OF instead of Bonifacio who can play both IF and OF.

Guess that wasn't a decision made on pure baseball talent either?

Bonifacio was released by the Royals making him a pure free agent.

Not one team offered him a major league deal. Guess that wasn't based on pure baseball talent either?

I am sure he got several minor league offers and clearly he decided to choose a deal with the team where he had the greatest chance of making an impact. Translation = team with the worst major league roster.

He choose the Cubs.

The point remains that a player who after being released was not offered a major league deal by any of the 30 major league teams is having a fapfest over his signing with the Cubs because the major league roster is so bad that he might actually be an improvement.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Royals look to have also made the decision to keep Jarrod Dyson and Justin Maxwell as extra OF instead of Bonifacio who can play both IF and OF.

Guess that wasn't a decision made on pure baseball talent either?

Bonifacio was released by the Royals making him a pure free agent.

Not one team offered him a major league deal. Guess that wasn't based on pure baseball talent either?

I am sure he got several minor league offers and clearly he decided to choose a deal with the team where he had the greatest chance of making an impact. Translation = team with the worst major league roster.

He choose the Cubs.

The point remains that a player who after being released was not offered a major league deal by any of the 30 major league teams is having a fapfest over his signing with the Cubs because the major league roster is so bad that he might actually be an improvement.
Well actually he was offered major league deals, or that several fan bases wanted to add him. Carry on as usual when something doesn't fit the narrative.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Carry on as usual when something doesn't fit the narrative.

Carry on as usual ignoring the point that was made that the Cubs roster is the weakest in all of baseball so he choose the team he could make the biggest impact when it doesn't fit the narrative of how great the building job is going.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Seriously pat, who exactly is having a "fapfest" over Bonifacio?

I'm pretty sure I've read this whole thread but all I'm seeing are some pretty reasonable comments saying that he has a good shot of being better than Darwin Barney... but yeah, if someone said this guy's worth getting really excited about, please do point that person out so we can all rip on him/her.

Liked Posts:

A tool is still a tool regardless of what team he/she roots for.

Liked Posts:

Dews, I'm sure you'd like it very much if we had one of your so-called "fap fests" over the Sox' signing of Felipe Paulino, for instance. The only reason you care so much about the hype on this board is because it's the Cubs.

I'm sure it must be tough to be part of a fan base that has, well, no fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.