The curious case of Velus Jones Jr

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So we have a 25 year old rookie who is a kickoff returner, the most useless position in the NFL by current rules.

He was supposedly drafted for his NFL readiness but can't seem to get on the field on offense and fumbled away his chances as a punt returner.

Does he develop on the bench at 25 years old?

He's the biggest head scratcher for Poles from the draft picks so far.

Why not put him in for more plays on offense?
Because his stride sucks, he has the hands of a running back, and isn’t route ready.

His college reception total is quite low not sure why you claim he was ready. He was just old.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The problem with Velus is that fans are expecting him to be a prototypical WR. He's not and never will be. They are using him exactly how he needs to be used. Endarounds, WR screens, the occasional deep ball. I'm guessing there's a lot of nerves and he knows this team needs WRs to make plays. But everyone on the team has dropped passes. The issue is that the Bears drafted him when they needed a prototypical WR. And there's a wide range of results for guys like him. Odds are he won't be Deebo. But he has a chance to be better than guys like Laviska Shenault. Devin Duvernay is kind of taking a little step this year. And I think worst case, they can try to make him into Cordarrelle Patterson. The Bears drafted a swiss army knife when they needed a whole kitchen knife set. But I think if you get other pieces around him, he can be a fun and productive player.

greg23

Liked Posts:
lol so 1 drop and he failed? you must be a millennial with that instant gratification crap

well when your raw what did you think would happen? he snaps his fingers and becomes a stud route runner? how easy would that make the nfl...
So we drafted a 26 year old raw wr?

When should we expect him to not be raw?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Deebo actually runs pass routes correct?

Not really. Aiyuk is a much better route runner. Most of his yards are after the catch. Of course he us better than VJJ but his value is almost entirely a function of his short game and YAC.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
So we drafted a 26 year old raw wr?

When should we expect him to not be raw?
we? are you part of the chicago bears organization?
the bears drafted a speedy 25 yr old raw wr that played multiple spots, why he is not able to do so at the nfl, i dont know, go ask his position coach.
does it take more than 8 games to not be raw? apparently...is development linear in the nfl? NOPE
unless your brand new to football, you should be able to answer that last one ya?

greg23

Liked Posts:
we? are you part of the chicago bears organization?
the bears drafted a speedy 25 yr old raw wr that played multiple spots, why he is not able to do so at the nfl, i dont know, go ask his position coach.
does it take more than 8 games to not be raw? apparently...is development linear in the nfl? NOPE
unless your brand new to football, you should be able to answer that last one ya?
Since we're asking questions

Do smallish, 25 year old rookies, who played at multiple colleges with limited wr production.... suddenly become productive wr in the nfl?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Do smallish, 25 year old rookies, who played at multiple colleges with limited wr production.... suddenly become productive wr in the nfl?

VJJ is 205 pounds. He is built like a RB so far from smallish.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:

from my standpoint, i'm not sure why age makes a difference with production? are you saying that if there is no instant gratification that by the time hes good he'll be too old?

few names that come to mind
tyreek hill but he doesnt fit small right? is he then diminutive?..is he any good?
i think hines ward was also pretty good out of the gate or maybe a yr later, he didnt have much of a career though right?
and then there is everyone's favorite...
anquan boldin, he did have some better numbers than vjj in college but many including me called him a bust and he went on to have a decent career no?

what about edelman? i dont think he even played WR in college
i think it took him about 3-4 yrs before he took off so what like 27-28 yrs old maybe...superbowl mvp at least for 1 of those rings

greg23

Liked Posts:
from my standpoint, i'm not sure why age makes a difference with production? are you saying that if there is no instant gratification that by the time hes good he'll be too old?

few names that come to mind
tyreek hill but he doesnt fit small right? is he then diminutive?..is he any good?
i think hines ward was also pretty good out of the gate or maybe a yr later, he didnt have much of a career though right?
and then there is everyone's favorite...
anquan boldin, he did have some better numbers than vjj in college but many including me called him a bust and he went on to have a decent career no?

what about edelman? i dont think he even played WR in college
i think it took him about 3-4 yrs before he took off so what like 27-28 yrs old maybe...superbowl mvp at least for 1 of those rings
So.....hall of fame for VJJ

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
The problem with Velus is that fans are expecting him to be a prototypical WR. He's not and never will be. They are using him exactly how he needs to be used. Endarounds, WR screens, the occasional deep ball. I'm guessing there's a lot of nerves and he knows this team needs WRs to make plays. But everyone on the team has dropped passes. The issue is that the Bears drafted him when they needed a prototypical WR. And there's a wide range of results for guys like him. Odds are he won't be Deebo. But he has a chance to be better than guys like Laviska Shenault. Devin Duvernay is kind of taking a little step this year. And I think worst case, they can try to make him into Cordarrelle Patterson. The Bears drafted a swiss army knife when they needed a whole kitchen knife set. But I think if you get other pieces around him, he can be a fun and productive player.
As I had to remind the other Bears fans at the sports bar table yesterday, Mooney dropped a game winning pass. However, Velus hasn't shown great hands at any point so far. Muffed punts cost us games and we really could have used that bomb yesterday.