The Defensive Depth Chart

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Fangio's defense depth charts in SF look like this

7 DL

9 LBs (5 O, 4 I)

9 DBs (5 C, 4 S)

It was a little difficult to tell this season with all the suspensions and injuries.

If that is the case the Bears are missing

3 DL
1 MLB
1 CB
1 S

Interesting. I think a S and CB for sure. I'm not sure about 3 DL guys cuz Allen and Young can both play DE in the 4-3 sets which Fangio will use. We do have a lot of OLB's in the 3-4 already, however.

I can see them drafting a NT type project that Fangio likes for sure. I can also see a DE/OLB type as well. I think ILB is the Bears biggest weakness. They will probably add two at least, imo. All I see now is Bostic and Greene, unless they try McClellin or Jones there, which I doubt.

I still think Fox and Fangio would like to add a premier pass rusher, so I still think they might at #7, but I won't be surprised if they go CB if they think one is good enough. My wildcard id a T at #7, which people might freak out about.

Here's what I think they want to add somehow:

Defense

CB
S
ILB (two if pos)
OLB (pass rusher)
NT

Offense

RT
C
TE
RB (maybe a bruiser to add to Forte and Carey)

--------

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Looking at your terrible depth chart, no offense, just shows me the Bears have a ways to go yet. Personally, if they run with this, they'll get ass kicked, imo. It's just too soon. I'd go with a completely different 3-4 alignment, myself. Fangio will most likely have the Bears play both 3-4 and 4-3, so I think you have to look at it that way.

Current 3-4:

DE - Houston - Ferguson
NT - Ratliff
DE - McPhee - Sutton

OLB - Allen - Bass
ILB - Bostic
ILB - Greene
OLB - Young - McClellin

SS - Rolle
FS - Mundy
CB - Fuller
CB - Jennings

Post Draft & FA'cy 3-4 (Just an example):

DE - Houston - Ferguson
NT - Rookie or FA
DE - Ratliff - Sutton

OLB - Rookie (Vic Beasley) - Allen - Bass
ILB - Bostic
ILB - FA or Rookie
OLB - McPhee - McClellin

SS - Rolle
FS - FA - Mundy
CB - Fuller
CB - Jennings - Rookie

NOTES: I think Fangio will rotate the OLB's a lot in the 3-4, and guys like Allen and Young will get in on 4-3 sets. I think the Bears would like to switch Jennings to NB, and bring in another starting CB. The draft, obviously, will help a lot, but I think the Bears will add another defensive starting FA yet, imo.

I tend to agree. I think we're likely to see the players at different positions than Windy suggests.

• Houston is most likely to be our 3-4 DE, which he played very well in Oakland 2013. Better than his 4-3 DE play in Chicago.
  • McClellen will most likely be tried at ILB with Bostic.

Base (rotation/2nd/3rd String): (Obviously some players will move around between DL & OLB, & there's FAs & Draft picks to enter.)

OLB - Jones (Allen)
DE - McPhee (Sutton, Washington)
NT - Ratliff (Ferguson, Sutton)
DE - Houston (Ratliff, Young)
OLB - Young (McPhee, Bass, Washington)

ILB - Bostic (Greene)
ILB - McClellen (Lattimore)

S - Rolle (Mundy)
S - Vereen
CB - Fuller (Louis-Jean)
CB - Jennings
NB - Hurst

Willie Young's best position is OLB on passing downs... but last year Young looked way bigger than he was listed; not to mention very powerful to boot. I wouldn't be surprised to see him tried at some DE snaps.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I tend to agree. I think we're likely to see the players at different positions than Windy suggests.

• Houston is most likely to be our 3-4 DE, which he played very well in Oakland 2013. Better than his 4-3 DE play in Chicago.
  • McClellen will most likely be tried at ILB with Bostic.

Base (rotation/2nd/3rd String): (Obviously some players will move around between DL & OLB, & there's FAs & Draft picks to enter.)

OLB - Jones (Allen)
DE - McPhee (Sutton, Washington)
NT - Ratliff (Ferguson, Sutton)
DE - Houston (Ratliff, Young)
OLB - Young (McPhee, Bass, Washington)

ILB - Bostic (Greene)
ILB - McClellen (Lattimore)

S - Rolle (Mundy)
S - Vereen
CB - Fuller (Louis-Jean)
CB - Jennings
NB - Hurst

Willie Young's best position is OLB on passing downs... but last year Young looked way bigger than he was listed; not to mention very powerful to boot. I wouldn't be surprised to see him tried at some DE snaps.

Looking at what you have there, I do wonder how Jones will develop as an OLB, he kind of fits that nicely. I also wonder about Vereen, he could surprise in his 2nd year, who knows. I can't wait to see how Fangio uses Young and Allen.

I'm not sure about Shea at ILB, I don't think Fangio will have a lot of patience with him. It's interesting to me to see these different depth charts. For the 1st time in a while, I'm comfortable sitting back and watch what they do as I have total confidence in Fox/Fangio to rebuild the defense properly.

I've wanted the Bears to play a 3-4 hybrid defense for years. I just think it will be much harder for teams to figure what we're doing on defense. I can't wait to see Fangio gameplan for Rodgers and the Pack!

Even when Lovie's defense was playing well, it still was very predictable. I believe we will see the type of defense that a lot of fans have been wanting for years, a much more aggressive, and intimidating and attacking defense.

I can't wait to see our new defense!!!

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They didn't sign McPhee to a huge contract and tell every one he is an OLB, only to play him at 5 technique.

My guess is Allen is having no bearing on the plan or roster, he is a contract albatross that needs to be tolerated for a season.

Houston is a wildcard, but he played OLB in Oakland.

Last edited:

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I would be more worried if it was tucker implementing the defense. But with a new coaching staff I expect better even from bums.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Washington played the 5-technique at Georgia, and that's where he looked the best.

You've got it totally backwards. He played 5-technique his senior year and his stock suffered as a result. He's an athletic pass rusher who played well as a base 4-3 DE. He's not a fluid athlete so playing as a outside linebacker doesn't suit fit his skill set either.

Edit here he is as a senior at the 5-technique the year he generated a .5 sack on the season.

[video=youtube_share;4b7o9F9ZE6w]http://youtu.be/4b7o9F9ZE6w[/video]

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Looking at what you have there, I do wonder how Jones will develop as an OLB, he kind of fits that nicely. I also wonder about Vereen, he could surprise in his 2nd year, who knows. I can't wait to see how Fangio uses Young and Allen.

I'm not sure about Shea at ILB, I don't think Fangio will have a lot of patience with him. It's interesting to me to see these different depth charts. For the 1st time in a while, I'm comfortable sitting back and watch what they do as I have total confidence in Fox/Fangio to rebuild the defense properly.

I've wanted the Bears to play a 3-4 hybrid defense for years. I just think it will be much harder for teams to figure what we're doing on defense. I can't wait to see Fangio gameplan for Rodgers and the Pack!

Even when Lovie's defense was playing well, it still was very predictable. I believe we will see the type of defense that a lot of fans have been wanting for years, a much more aggressive, and intimidating and attacking defense.

I can't wait to see our new defense!!!

Christian Jones is not a pass rusher in a 3-4 defense. He played with his hand in the dirt as a senior after playing at middle linebacker as a junior and his play suffered accordingly. He racked up 99 tackles his junior year playing the middle linebacker spot, it's where he did his best work. He's not anywhere close to being a natural pass rusher. He's also not an ideal fit as a 3-4 ILB because he's not a physical player who holds up well inside the tackle box.

Jones will be asked to play the 3-4 spot, at least he better be because as a pass rusher he was awful.

Emery did a tremendous job drafting for a 4-3 defense and grabbed players accordingly. Sutton, Washington, Bostic, Greene, jones, I might argue Ego Ferguson's best fit is as a 4-3 1-technique vs. 0-technique despite his size and ability.

There's a lot of work to be done on this roster and it's going to take some time to accomplish it.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Christian Jones is not a pass rusher in a 3-4 defense. He played with his hand in the dirt as a senior after playing at middle linebacker as a junior and his play suffered accordingly. He racked up 99 tackles his junior year playing the middle linebacker spot, it's where he did his best work. He's not anywhere close to being a natural pass rusher. He's also not an ideal fit as a 3-4 ILB because he's not a physical player who holds up well inside the tackle box.

Jones will be asked to play the 3-4 spot, at least he better be because as a pass rusher he was awful.

Emery did a tremendous job drafting for a 4-3 defense and grabbed players accordingly. Sutton, Washington, Bostic, Greene, jones, I might argue Ego Ferguson's best fit is as a 4-3 1-technique vs. 0-technique despite his size and ability.

There's a lot of work to be done on this roster and it's going to take some time to accomplish it.

This is true - I am hoping that out of the group you mentioned - Bostic can make the transition to an ILB and Ego can fit up front. I am most curious about Jones - I think he has a lot of potential - he is not a pure pass rusher as you mentioned but I think his skill set can lend itself well to some versatility in the 3-4 LB corp. I think Washington and Greene are just not going to be contributors at the NFL level. Sutton is a 4-3 3 tech - but I hope Fangio has something up his sleeve in terms of utilizing his talents. Overall - this D needs a lot of help.

Spartans

Liked Posts:
Ive been a little out of the loop as of late, I am in Egypt working, but I have been thinking lately that we are really not that far off from have a decent defense, especially if we run a hybrid with players lining up in different positions. But I really think our number one priority should be CB. I really think drafting Waynes, possibly trading down, would have the largest impact. Here is what I have been thinking

CB - Fuller
CB - Waynes
(This is huge to have two, very young, CBs that can stay around for a long long time)
S - Rolle
S - Tillman (I liked how Charles Woodson resurrected his career when moved to safety, maybe Tillman can too) / possibly 2nd round pick / Mundy
Nickel - Jennings (I think he is declining, lack of pass rush didnt help last year, but neither does his age and height)

OLB - Allen / Young
OLB - McPhee
MLB - Bostic
MLB - FA / Draft Pick / or McClellin (I think he projects as a better MLB but I dont really see anyone on the current roster that can fill this void)

DE - Houston (He's gonna end up here)
NT - Ratlif
DE - Sutton / Ferguson

So if we draft Waynes, i see our biggest holes remaining in MLB & Safety that we can fill during FA &/or Draft. Just my two cents.

77AZ

Liked Posts:
I am looking forward to see what Fangio can do with Ego and Sutton. I personally think they will thrive in the new system. You guys think he makes Sutton put the weight back on?

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I am looking forward to see what Fangio can do with Ego and Sutton. I personally think they will thrive in the new system. You guys think he makes Sutton put the weight back on?

I think Ferguson can be a serviceable 3-4 NT. Sutton, however, is as good as gone because he doesn't fit anywhere in Fangio's defense. He's not stout or physical enough to play NT and he'd be a really poor fit as a DE having to match straight up on long OTs. The only value he has for the Bears is as trade ammunition on draft day.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
They didn't sign McPhee to a huge contract and tell every one he is an OLB, only to play him at 5 technique.

My guess is Allen is having no bearing on the plan or roster, he is a contract albatross that needs to be tolerated for a season.

I'd be shocked if Allen sees 20% of snaps this season. Maybe he'll do everyone a favor and just retire, but there's not much incentive for him to do so when he can just ride the pine and collect 12.5mil.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:

agreed. i believe fox when he says houston will be at OLB at least in the base defense. i think because he's listed at 300 people think he's going to play 5 technique but he was 270 last year(smaller then mcphee) and 280 the year before that in oakland. (as a side note, that means that tucker had him drop to 270 and then asked him to play inside at DT a good portion of the time...which is weird).

i think one of the big things bears fans have to alter in their minds is this idea of a "depth chart" when it comes to fangio's defense. guys are going to move around and line up in a ton of different spots. this isn't tucker or lovie, where you have basically the same line-up with the only difference being a nickel back comes in for a linebacker and maybe a DE moves down to DT.

so let's assume the base defensive front is something like:

RDT: draft/FA/ratliff
NT: draft/FA/ferguson
LDT: draft/FA/

ROLB: mcphee
RILB: jones/bostic
LILB: FA/draft/bostic
LOLB: houston

now in nickel you've got a ton of ways to go. in san fran, fangio would often take the nose off the field, slide the outside backers to the end spots, 5 technique's move inside to tackle spots and have a more traditional 4 man front. or either OLB could remain standing and still have a 3 down lineman.

but fangio's kind of a mad scientist. unlike some other d-coordinators, he's not a big blitzer. he's more about creating mismatches with different fronts and attacking that way. he usually only sends 4 rushers, but the trick is figuring out which ones are coming and from where. i saw a bunch of times where he had justin smith line up with his hand on the ground in a wide 9 with aldon smith standing up over the guard.

what's missing from the equation right now is versatility along the d-line. they've got potential pieces at outside linebacker. think they need one more inside backer but honestly i have a feeling christian jones is going to really thrive under fangio as the weakside inside backer. think there's a good chance he beats out bostic for that spot.

but the d-line needs guys who can line up as 5 techniques in a base defense badly. houston at 270 isn't going to cut it. i'd imagine they're looking for guys in the 295-305 range with length.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I think Ferguson can be a serviceable 3-4 NT. Sutton, however, is as good as gone because he doesn't fit anywhere in Fangio's defense. He's not stout or physical enough to play NT and he'd be a really poor fit as a DE having to match straight up on long OTs. The only value he has for the Bears is as trade ammunition on draft day.

i agree, and i like sutton's potential in the right defense. but that's not this one. he could be a situational pass rusher from the 3 technique but that's all he is. he has zero versatility and with his short arms would be dominated outside having to hold up against NFL tackles.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

If Sutton doesn't get traded or released his career could very well be in jeopardy. He's a one trick pony with no size to fit outside a 4-3 defense. He's inn trouble because he's pigeon holed into one position for the entirety of his career.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Sutton doesn't get traded or released his career could very well be in jeopardy. He's a one trick pony with no size to fit outside a 4-3 defense. He's inn trouble because he's pigeon holed into one position for the entirety of his career.

The only thing that makes me pause on Sutton is the fact that he was better against the run last season.

He actually was pretty stout in the run game.

Sutton in a regular 3-4 I would say no way, but Fangio has been successful with undersized guys on the interior.