The DEFINITION of QB Development

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
DodSzxhU0AA8yyn.jpg:large

The person who did this on twitter also did a version where he removed the 6TDs vs. the Bucs. Kept all the other stats for that day minus the TDs. Still showing improvement.

Which still consists of 77.3, 83, and 73.5 in the first 3 games. The point remains, it is 3 mediocre to shitty games and 1 great game. Real improvement would be for example having 3 out of 4 good games instead of just one. Cutler's QB rating is like 85 for his career so ya'll basically hyping up the fact he finished below Cutler's average in 3 out of 4 games. Again, the one game was fantastic but it is one game. There is no evidence yet for some massive improvement. Let's see him actually string together 3 or 4 good games. His improvement will come when he shows consistency.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Which still consists of 77.3, 83, and 73.5 in the first 3 games. The point remains, it is 3 mediocre to shitty games and 1 great game. Real improvement would be for example having 3 out of 4 good games instead of just one. Cutler's QB rating is like 85 for his career so ya'll basically hyping up the fact he finished below Cutler's average in 3 out of 4 games. Again, the one game was fantastic but it is one game. There is no evidence yet for some massive improvement yet. Let's see him actually string together 3 or 4 good games.

Cutler's rating is based on a 10 year career of being mediocre.

I agree that if Mitch ends being an 85 rating QB that will be a disappointment.

But based on where we are in the process I think it is encouraging that he looks at worst mediocre and at best looks elite. We are not talking about a guy who is putting up sub 50 QB ratings.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Cutler's rating is based on a 10 year career of being mediocre.

I agree that if Mitch ends being an 85 rating QB that will be a disappointment.

But based on where we are in the process I think it is encouraging that he looks at worst mediocre and at best looks elite. We are not talking about a guy who is putting up sub 50 QB ratings.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2017/passing.htm

His rating in 3 out of 4 games would be bottom of the league last year.

Objectively speaking, he was a bellow average QB in 3 out of 4 games.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Which still consists of 77.3, 83, and 73.5 in the first 3 games. The point remains, it is 3 mediocre to shitty games and 1 great game. Real improvement would be for example having 3 out of 4 good games instead of just one. Cutler's QB rating is like 85 for his career so ya'll basically hyping up the fact he finished below Cutler's average in 3 out of 4 games. Again, the one game was fantastic but it is one game. There is no evidence yet for some massive improvement. Let's see him actually string together 3 or 4 good games. His improvement will come when he shows consistency.

You can hold out waiting to see if he strings together 3-4 good games. Why is that a qualification for Trubisky but sure as hell wasn't for Watson?
I'm crowning his ass as probably not going to be a complete bust. Mitch is our QB for at least 4 years and probably longer.

If he strings together 3-4 good games anywhere near 6TDs, he's GOAT, at least as far as the Bears are concerned where GOAT isn't that high of a bar.

No evidence??? 6 TD game (plus 50yds rushing which makes him the ONLY QB to do that). Read it and weep, nancy. Very very very few bad QBs have done that since 1980 and a few HOF'ers along with more who will probably be HOF'er. It was only once for many of them too. That doesn't mean their career was crap. Odds are high for Trubisky to not only be GOAT for Bears but will be major talk of the league. Outliers happen but they are not the norm, that's why they're called outliers.
I don't know why it is so hard for so many to accept historical fact. Fact is bad QBs don't tend to throw 6TDs in a game or 5TDs in a half. Great ones do. We probably have a great one. There is no more reason to be skeptical of having hope.

Sounds like apples and oranges to make up excuses to me.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
WTF are you talking about? Watson strung together like 5 or 6 good games. Also don't recall me saying anything about Watson being a slam dunk great. Think you confusing me with Mick.

Matt Flynn disproves your point regarding 6 TDs. I don't know what Trubs will be. I just know one game isn't enough to judge. That is all.

You are simply a hypocrite crying about people judging him after one game only to then judge him after one game. 2 sides of the same delusional coin.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I've been saying this since Sunday, if you remove all of Mitch's TDs he looks like a garbage QB. Anyone can see it.
Whole heartedly agree. Also, if you make his touchdowns interceptions, he looks much worse. Anyone can see that as well.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Does that include Trubisky? Just curious.

Yes, even if Trubisky ends up bad it is still very few. We won't know for sure until his career is for all intents over or he's a great one.
If you want to wait until his career is over and watch it on video once you've deemed it safe to not worry about him busting you may. I'm accepting what the records predict.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Clearly Mitch is improving.

He has been improving since the bye last year. I believe he will make a marked step forward in this offense, over his first three hi hum games of the season, over the rest of the season, coming out of this bye. Tampa game not withstanding, look to the past, to predict the future.

Fox held him back/down significantly. The game that sums up the screw job that Fox pulled on Trubisky in his rookie year, is San Francisco.

12 of 15 for 102 yards and a TD w/ no ints.

Bears lose 14-15.

[video=youtube;qAy39GEUsdU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAy39GEUsdU[/video]

Not bad for a rookie, considering the shit playcalling, shit game plan, and not being allowed to develop a rhythm. And he still notched a 117.2 passer rating.

15 fucking attempts. Yet Fox/Loggains decide to telegraph runs, where both Howard and Cohen are averaging less than 3 yards per. And Trubisky was forced to face 3rd and longs all day.

Oh well, the Refiner’s Fire.

Mitch is our QB and I’m happy about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/3039707/mitchell-trubisky

He had a 77.2, 83, 73.5 in the first 3 games. The point is the last game obviously inflated his stats and gives the indication of a vast improvement when in fact it was just one ridiculously amazing game and 3 mediocre to bad games.

Just like if he hit a 95 in rating over the next 4 games, are we going to seriously then argue he regressed even if he consistently was above 90 in all 4 games? Of course not because that would represent greater consistency even though it is less than the 101.6.

So the point still stands, it is a very misleading statistic even if it is true. Let's see if last team really starts a trend or whether it was just a blip 0n the radar.

I don’t find it misleading. He it throws in Tampa that were there, but he was missing in the first 3. It shows that his timing is improving.

Now he has an extra week, to further develop his chemistry with his receivers.

Again, Through the first 3, Trubisky’s main problem was not decision making, it was timing. Clearly he took a step forward there in Tampa, because he hit the throws that he was missing (although he did improve a bit each game there, weeks 1-3). If he was not improving, he would have missed those throws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

me654

Liked Posts:
Actually the issue is only drafting 5 1st round QBs (that's including low 1st round) in almost 70 years and then acting like having a good QB is almost impossible because our low rounders and other team's cast offs don't work out.

Only one of those 1st rounders was a big bust.

True, but I dont think there could be any argument that Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or even Erin would be who they are today had the Bears drafted them...The Bears org has never understood how to hire a staff capable of developing a franchise QB. Based on history I think the organization deserves the overwhelming majority of the blame than the QBs do. Every QB that gets drafted in the NFL are talented and capable but systems matter.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
True, but I dont think there could be any argument that Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or even Erin would be who they are today had the Bears drafted them...The Bears org has never understood how to hire a staff capable of developing a franchise QB. Based on history I think the organization deserves the overwhelming majority of the blame than the QBs do. Every QB that gets drafted in the NFL are talented and capable but systems matter.

Innumerable ex-Bears QBs have bounced around the NFL over the years...the only one I recall accomplishing anything was Harbaugh's fluky season with the Colts in the mid-90's. Guys like Jim Miller and Erik Kramer had career years with the Bears. I don't really think its a systemic organizational problem...they just haven't had many good QBs.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

They may not have been exactly who they became but they sure would be better than what we've had.
I do think there has been fear holding them back from drafting high since they've been willing to pay way too much to get QBs from other teams.

Innumerable ex-Bears QBs have bounced around the NFL over the years...the only one I recall accomplishing anything was Harbaugh's fluky season with the Colts in the mid-90's. Guys like Jim Miller and Erik Kramer had career years with the Bears. I don't really think its a systemic organizational problem...they just haven't had many good QBs.

I tend to agree with this. The first step in having a great QB is to draft a great QB. Then you get a great offense. The Bears have failed on both of those so we never made it to the great coaches part.

Although I do think putting almost zero importance on having a great offense over the years is systemic. Like the owners tell the GM this is Papa Bears team, keep his legacy alive.
If Pace has managed to get that to be we can have an offense along with keeping the defensive legacy alive I'll be one happy camper.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I've been saying this since Sunday, if you remove all of Mitch's TDs he looks like a garbage QB. Anyone can see it.

Please use green font next time

Spirit Hartigan

Liked Posts:
It's fun to see how us fans are growing in optimism after this last game. Those of us who were saying, just wait and see if he develops are optimistic now, and those who were negative are saying just wait and see if he can string together a few good games. So, growth across the board.

Reactions: Myk

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don’t find it misleading. He it throws in Tampa that were there, but he was missing in the first 3. It shows that his timing is improving.

Now he has an extra week, to further develop his chemistry with his receivers.

Again, Through the first 3, Trubisky’s main problem was not decision making, it was timing. Clearly he took a step forward there in Tampa, because he hit the throws that he was missing (although he did improve a bit each game there, weeks 1-3). If he was not improving, he would have missed those throws.

It is misleading because a 101 rating can give someone the impression he was good in most of those games. The reality was he was below average in all but 1 game. Timing can come and go. Will need to see if he really has solved his timing issues or whether it was just a one game anomaly.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I agree he was below average, but those are ratings based on an entire season.

Jared Goff: 101 rating, 3 sub 80 rating games, including a 49
Russell Wilson: 95.4 rating, 5 sub 80 rating games
Kirk Cousins: 93.9 rating, 4 sub 80 rating games, including a 31

Alex Smith, who led the league in QB rating 104.7, had 4 sub 80 rating games

Most of the QBs on the list with really good ratings have multiple games where they have below average ratings. They just have had an entire season to pull their rating back up.

Most of those guys are veterans and have more consistency in their games than we should expect from a younger QB.

He needs to maintain a higher level of play than he did in weeks 1-3, but that seems to be the trajectory that we are on.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It is misleading because a 101 rating can give someone the impression he was good in most of those games. The reality was he was below average in all but 1 game. Timing can come and go. Will need to see if he really has solved his timing issues or whether it was just a one game anomaly.

I agree it could be an anomaly.

But, I think we have probably seen his worse 3 game stretch of the season as everyone was getting into the offense. I find it difficult to imagine as he continues to figure things out that he will consistently be below those 3 games. I think simply based on Nagy play calling improvements that we will see improvement in Trubisky's numbers.

Mr.Anderson

Liked Posts:
Trubs really needed this complete game.

We got a taste on the opening drive of the first three games of how good this team can be. They needed a taste to see what putting 4 quarters together felt like, and I’m happy they got that experience.

We’ve seen good Trubs and bad Trubs. We don’t need him to be a GOAT, if he can just be somewhere in between the good and bad, consistently, with this defense, we’ll have chance at bringing home a title.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Remy you are a great debater.. why not go to law school and get paid?