Eddie Goldman
Jaye Howard
John Bullard
John Jenkins
Mitch Unrien
Roy Robertson-Harris

Rashaad Coward [PR]

Will Sutton

To me this might be the shallowest position group on the team, which is why it makes sense that they added Jaye Howard who is a huge upgrade for the Bears. Obviously, Hicks and Goldman are the center pieces, but Goldman has had trouble staying healthy and Hicks played way too many snaps last season. The addition of Jenkins is solid and gives them a massive NT that can play more run downs to keep Goldman fresh and healthy. The Bears desperately need Bullard to step up. He really would go a long way to this group not being a weakness on defense. Unrien will bring his lunch pale to the line and the locker room and gives them a veteran who can stop the run and will be in his gap. A true roster wildcard is Robertson-Harris. he flashed last season at OLB, was stashed on the NFI list and apparently has bulked up to 285lbs and looks huge. He has the size and length that they seem to favor. I also think that Roy Robertson-Harris can fill a special teams role.

I think the Bears have to keep someone on the PR capable of playing NT and Coward has the size and was one of the first UDFA that they signed.

Sutton is the odd man out. He is not bad, but he just does not have the size to hold up consistently on the nose and he does not have the length to 2 gap against OTs.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
There's some nice depth there and some talent. Health will be the major question mark for the group as well as guys like Bullard and Robertson making a jump.

Definitely NOT the shallowest group on the team either. ILB is by far worse off.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I hope this is the year Goldman puts it all together. He clearly is a high level player but he's had issues staying on the field. It seems to be the story with a bunch of our guys (Leonard Floyd comes to mind). Hopefully we get some better luck with injuries this year. Bullard needs to make a jump and start producing but I like this group a lot. Hicks was a fantastic signing by Pace.

BearDovvn

Liked Posts:
Windy check out a vid on Arden Key DE/OLB out of LSU. He's a Floyd clone. That's who I want with the bears first pick next year. I think its safe to assume the bears will have a top 5-10 pick. How bout a way-to-early 2018 mock.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There's some nice depth there and some talent. Health will be the major question mark for the group as well as guys like Bullard and Robertson making a jump.

Definitely NOT the shallowest group on the team either. ILB is by far worse off.

Pre Jaye Howard it was pretty shallow.

ob1force

Liked Posts:
7 feels like a lot, is that what they typically roll with on game days?

I also wonder if they envision using RRH in a hybrid role, similar to how some of us envisioned using Solomon Thomas if we were to draft him. Jaye Howard played some NT in KC too so it's nice to know he can fill in there in a pinch. Versatility is a major asset.

Sutton is definitely gone. RRH moving up the depth chart will be something to watch this summer, hoping he at least pushes out Unrein.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
bears kept 6 dlinemen last season so assuming they do that this year its likely a battle between unrein, robertson-harris and sutton

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
7 feels like a lot, is that what they typically roll with on game days?

I also wonder if they envision using RRH in a hybrid role, similar to how some of us envisioned using Solomon Thomas if we were to draft him. Jaye Howard played some NT in KC too so it's nice to know he can fill in there in a pinch. Versatility is a major asset.

Sutton is definitely gone. RRH moving up the depth chart will be something to watch this summer, hoping he at least pushes out Unrein.

They could keep 6, but with how the group got worked over by injury I think 7 is prudent.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Unrein needs to go. Watching him pull himself off of the turf at the end of every play was embarrassing. Couldn't even hold the point of attack without crumbling to the turf. Howard will be a vast improvement. Yeah Will Sutton looks like a goner. He just doesn't fit into this 3-4 scheme. Too short.....too small....

Always intrigued about "minor miracles!" RRH and Bullard suddenly becoming NFL ready.....one can always dream....

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Keeping seven will be tough, especially considering they only play 2 DTs on something like 30% of snaps. I used to think it was set in stone, but now I' wondering if they're going to cut Houston.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Their nickel packages are on the field more than half the time, using only two of these guys. Seven is a stretch, imo. I think they keep six again.

Hicks, Goldman, Howard, Bullard, Jenkins, and the final place either RRH or Sutton.

Sutton is more useful than Unrein imo, as he can play the 3-tech role in these sub packages, whereas Unrein would need to be a better base option than both RRH and Bullard, which I think is unlikely.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Maybe they can get RRH on to the PR for the injury protection.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Eddie Goldman has been injured two years in a row it makes me wonder if he is capable of playing NT.

Talent wise is no question that he is the best at NT but he may be better fitted at DT.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With the uncertainty in the secondary and Trevethan's injury status I don't think they can afford 7 DL on the 53. They could always put Roy on the PS.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Eddie Goldman has been injured two years in a row it makes me wonder if he is capable of playing NT.

Talent wise is no question that he is the best at NT but he may be better fitted at DT.

Might be fun to see a "BIGS" short yardage package of Hicks - Jenkins - Goldman up front...

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
DL [7]

Akiem Hicks
Eddie Goldman
Jaye Howard
John Bullard
John Jenkins
Mitch Unrien
Roy Robertson-Harris

Rashaad Coward [PR]

Will Sutton

To me this might be the shallowest position group on the team, which is why it makes sense that they added Jaye Howard who is a huge upgrade for the Bears. Obviously, Hicks and Goldman are the center pieces, but Goldman has had trouble staying healthy and Hicks played way too many snaps last season. The addition of Jenkins is solid and gives them a massive NT that can play more run downs to keep Goldman fresh and healthy. The Bears desperately need Bullard to step up. He really would go a long way to this group not being a weakness on defense. Unrien will bring his lunch pale to the line and the locker room and gives them a veteran who can stop the run and will be in his gap. A true roster wildcard is Robertson-Harris. he flashed last season at OLB, was stashed on the NFI list and apparently has bulked up to 285lbs and looks huge. He has the size and length that they seem to favor. I also think that Roy Robertson-Harris can fill a special teams role.

I think the Bears have to keep someone on the PR capable of playing NT and Coward has the size and was one of the first UDFA that they signed.

Sutton is the odd man out. He is not bad, but he just does not have the size to hold up consistently on the nose and he does not have the length to 2 gap against OTs.

We also have CJ Wilson and Kapron Lewis Moore on the roster as of now and i'm not sure we won't cut him especially after the J.Howard signing but L.Houston is still on the roster and he can slide inside as well.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
They could keep 6, but with how the group got worked over by injury I think 7 is prudent.

It's also looking like we're gonna go with 3 QB's on the roster next year which we only had 2 last year so we'll have to go with one less player at one position with the most likely being DB, DL or WR.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
If Howard is healthy they are in good shape in my opinion. Keep in mind 60% of the time there will only be 2 down lineman on the field. So base of Howard-Goldman-Hicks but Jenkins gets some work there and allows them to move Goldman to 5 technique in base situations as well. Nickel you've got a rotation of Hicks, Goldman, Howard and hopefully Bullard between two spots.

And Unrein despite all the shit he inexplicably takes is a perfectly adequate lineman, and Wilson actually played o.k. last year.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Base 3-4

LE - Hicks
NT - Goldman with Jenkins mixed in on obvious running downs.
RE - Howard

Bullard and RRH would get some time at DE with Goldman also getting time at DE if they want to go really big.

4-3

RE - Floyd
LE - McPhee
DT - Hicks
DT - Goldman

Houston and Young would get time at DE particularly on passing downs with Bullard, RRH and Howard getting time at DT or DE if they want to go a bit bigger at DE.

DT - Hicks/Goldman probably are the 2 DTs on obvious passing downs with the other guys mixed in to keep everyone fresh.