The end of the world is nigh

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Pittsburgh Pirates are tied for the NL Central lead.

divide_by_zero_blog_safe_RE_whered_the_hole_come_from-s580x487-91754.jpg

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcDmMOK_Ht0&feature=related]‪Pittsburgh Pirates Laughing Logo ('68 - '86 logo)‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Good for them.

On another note -- remember how Cuban wanted to buy them? Man, I hope the team he eventually buys is either us, or in the American league :/

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good for them.

On another note -- remember how Cuban wanted to buy them? Man, I hope the team he eventually buys is either us, or in the American league :/

Won't be the Cubs. Not worth his time.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Won't be the Cubs. Not worth his time.

idk...if he waits 2 more years before being allowed, Ricketts may have such a hot mess on his hands, he'll be listening to offers...and Cuban is ballsy/arrogant/proud enough to take a chance :shrug:

It's not likely...but worth discussion.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
idk...if he waits 2 more years before being allowed, Ricketts may have such a hot mess on his hands, he'll be listening to offers...and Cuban is ballsy/arrogant/proud enough to take a chance :shrug:

It's not likely...but worth discussion.

Strange as it may sound to Cubs fans, Wrigley Field is probably the biggest reason why Mark Cuban did not buy the Cubs other than the part where MLB didn't like him.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cuban was boxed out by Selig for the most part. Also I seem to be the only one here that recalls Mark Cuban saying basically the exact same thing as Ricketts about building an organization and not just buying big time free agents. While Cuban is certainly a more interesting personality, I doubt the results on the field would be much different right now had he been allowed to buy the team.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cuban was boxed out by Selig for the most part. Also I seem to be the only one here that recalls Mark Cuban saying basically the exact same thing as Ricketts about building an organization and not just buying big time free agents. While Cuban is certainly a more interesting personality, I doubt the results on the field would be much different right now had he been allowed to buy the team.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Mark Cuban would have had a slightly more concrete and logical plan than whatever the Ricketts have done so far, although I am in agreement that this year's team would probably still have sucked ass.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

I disagree to an extent. Cuban will buy buy buy...it's what he does. What he says/said is the lip-service necessary to convince Selig (and Krause) to at least look at him.

Regardless, baseball is Special person for not letting him in. Be it the Cubs, Pirates, Dodgers, whomever...He'll be a crowd pleaser. A headache of course, but he'll bring in $$$. Smart businessmen are just that...smart.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Mark Cuban would have had a slightly more concrete and logical plan than whatever the Ricketts have done so far, although I am in agreement that this year's team would probably still have sucked ass.

Hendry being gone at this point is about the only thing that I think would have been different at this point to be honest. I think Ricketts has a plan, and we are already seeing it in action in the draft (drafting and paying overslot on a number of guys) and international free agents (signing two Latin American kids to 7 figure deals for the first time ever). I would have liked to have seen Hendry gone by this point, and I think Ricketts is being a bit overly cautious. But just because we haven't seen big moves made doesn't mean that there isn't a plan going forward.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm really pulling for the Pirates to win this division. I mean they haven't finished a season above .500 in what 18 years. That and I want to have called Pena being traded to Pirates...

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
mark cuban owning any team will destroy the game we love. you see it with the NBA and the NFL. baseball would be gone for a while.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
mark cuban owning any team will destroy the game we love. you see it with the NBA and the NFL. baseball would be gone for a while.

Just curious...how so?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just curious...how so?

Adding another "yankee" spending type team to the MLB would inflate the salaries even more. I dont care if it is the cubs or the royals. It would be bad. The talent would be sucked away from other teams, smaller market ones of course, and those teams wont survive.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Adding another "yankee" spending type team to the MLB would inflate the salaries even more. I dont care if it is the cubs or the royals. It would be bad. The talent would be sucked away from other teams, smaller market ones of course, and those teams wont survive.

But everything Cuban said at the time was that he wasn't going to be another "yankee" spender. Perhaps that was just bluffing to try to get owners to let him in, but I really don't think Cuban would do anything that would result in him losing money either.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But everything Cuban said at the time was that he wasn't going to be another "yankee" spender. Perhaps that was just bluffing to try to get owners to let him in, but I really don't think Cuban would do anything that would result in him losing money either.

Exactly.

I have no clue if Cuban would have done well with the Cubs in terms of standings, but I will promise you one thing. Cuban would have made money.

Cuban is very Steinbrenner like in the fact that he is very outspoken, but he is no dummy, and will not spend if the money is not there to support it.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly.

I have no clue if Cuban would have done well with the Cubs in terms of standings, but I will promise you one thing. Cuban would have made money.

Cuban is very Steinbrenner like in the fact that he is very outspoken, but he is no dummy, and will not spend if the money is not there to support it.
That would be exactly like Steinbrenner. The Yankees spend a ridiculous amount of money, but they still make money, lots of it in all honesty. The Cubs have a number of things limiting the amount of revenue they can generate, Wrigley being just one factor. Cuban said he wouldn't be spending like the Yankees and I believe it because the Cubs wouldn't make money that way.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That would be exactly like Steinbrenner. The Yankees spend a ridiculous amount of money, but they still make money, lots of it in all honesty. The Cubs have a number of things limiting the amount of revenue they can generate, Wrigley being just one factor. Cuban said he wouldn't be spending like the Yankees and I believe it because the Cubs wouldn't make money that way.

That's true I guess. The Yankees are the most popular baseball team in the world and that really helps them. The Cubs aren't in the market to spend like the Yankees.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets

:yep:

They wouldn't spend all that much year after year if it wasn't going to be profitable in return.