The Illini Basketball Thread

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not necessarily. Not getting a top PG hurts, but Aaron Jordan and DJ Williams are both very good. And we're still looking good with Elijah Thomas and Carlton Bragg. If they strike out on Evans, Brunson, Thomas, Doral Moore and Bragg, then yeah, it's gonna be a terrible time to be an Illini fan.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Not necessarily. Not getting a top PG hurts, but Aaron Jordan and DJ Williams are both very good. And we're still looking good with Elijah Thomas and Carlton Bragg. If they strike out on Evans, Brunson, Thomas, Doral Moore and Bragg, then yeah, it's gonna be a terrible time to be an Illini fan.

Aaron Jordan and DJW will be good. But compare that roster to Kentucky. If the Illini continue to strike out on the big names like Evans and Brunson, they will never come close to winning a Championship.

sulleymon

Liked Posts:
Aaron Jordan and DJW will be good. But compare that roster to Kentucky. If the Illini continue to strike out on the big names like Evans and Brunson, they will never come close to winning a Championship.

they don't need to have a roster packed with freshman talent to compete with Kentucky, they just need a couple big time recruits to get the ball rolling

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
they don't need to have a roster packed with freshman talent to compete with Kentucky, they just need a couple big time recruits to get the ball rolling

At least 3 and they don't have 1 yet.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nova it is. On to Jawun Evans.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Illinois, to me, has to go with 1 of 2 options:

Accept the fact that the Rose's, Parker's, Alexander's, Okafur's of the CPL aren't going to Champaign unless they cozy up to the Slaughters and Smiths of the CPL......

or

Stop trying to go after these 4 and 5 star recruits, focus on the 2's and 3's and find yourself an X's and O's coach that can plug them into a system that works.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Jerry Meyer of 247 switched his prediction on Evans and now has him going to Oklahoma State (guy is usually spot on). If the Illini miss on Brunson, this will just be another failed recruiting season and typical of Illiini basketball.
Weber isn't at Illinois anymore.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Accept the fact that the Rose's, Parker's, Alexander's, Okafur's of the CPL aren't going to Champaign unless they cozy up to the Slaughters and Smiths of the CPL......

or

Stop trying to go after these 4 and 5 star recruits, focus on the 2's and 3's and find yourself an X's and O's coach that can plug them into a system that works.
You realize Leron Black is a 4*, right? Apparently you forgot. Illinois is right in the thick of things. They don't need to settle for 2*.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
You realize Leron Black is a 4*, right? Apparently you forgot. Illinois is right in the thick of things. They don't need to settle for 2*.

As are Aaron Jordan and DJ Williams. It's amazing that Illinois is being highly regarded by all these big time recruits, considering where our recruiting was under Weber.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
As are Aaron Jordan and DJ Williams. It's amazing that Illinois is being highly regarded by all these big time recruits, considering where our recruiting was under Weber.

Groce is in his 3rd season as coach. People have to stop blaming Weber for our current predictament.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Groce is in his 3rd season as coach. People have to stop blaming Weber for our current predictament.
What's the current predicament? That the program is on the upswing and getting 4* recruits?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

or

I don't think Illinois needs to drop THAT far down their recruiting boards for guys but I agree they need to quit targeting likely one and done guys for the most part unless they think they have a tremendous shot with them. A lot of these guys they are targeting they really don't have a shot with right now and it's a waste of time. I agree with your general point but I don't think it's dire enough where Illinois needs to start recruiting like Butler. They need to start recruiting like MSU, Wisconsin, etc. as far as profile and stay length go.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tracy Abrams tore his ACL and will miss the season. Sucks to lose one of our two point guards. Thank God the NCAA didn't give Ahmad Starks his waiver last season. Now we'll actually have a PG that can hit a 3.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
A team that missed the NCAA tourney?
Because of a change of personnel leftover from that Weber guy you say had no influence? LOL. Groce got them to the tourney with Paul/DJ/Abrams. They will be back this year, provided they don't have any more ACL injuries.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't think Illinois needs to drop THAT far down their recruiting boards for guys but I agree they need to quit targeting likely one and done guys for the most part unless they think they have a tremendous shot with them. A lot of these guys they are targeting they really don't have a shot with right now and it's a waste of time. I agree with your general point but I don't think it's dire enough where Illinois needs to start recruiting like Butler. They need to start recruiting like MSU, Wisconsin, etc. as far as profile and stay length go.
Like MSU? Izzo wasn't able to connect in anyway to the CPL as of late. You do know Nunn and Tate played for Simeon, right? Nunn is a high quality Big Ten player. Tate is a pure PG. Groce doesn't need your assistance figuring out how to recruit and where.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Because of a change of personnel leftover from that Weber guy you say had no influence? LOL. Groce got them to the tourney with Paul/DJ/Abrams. They will be back this year, provided they don't have any more ACL injuries.

I'm willing to give Groce a break for last season. But from now on, everything will be on him. I don't want to hear any more shit about blaming Weber for future failures. Only a true loser would do so.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm willing to give Groce a break for last season. But from now on, everything will be on him. I don't want to hear any more shit about blaming Weber for future failures. Only a true loser would do so.
I don't want to hear any more shit about them being in a predicament when they aren't.

Through two seasons as head coach, Groce has not been able to turn Illinois into the program of choice for the Chicago elite, but anyone who watched the team during that period had to see teams that connected with their coach and their gameplans. They were just a possession short of a Sweet 16 bid in 2013, losing to the Miami Hurricanes in the final minute. They were just a possession short of beating regular-season champion Michigan last March in the Big Ten Tournament.

This is not a program that needs fixing. It simply needs time to mature.

Connecting Brunson’s complicated recruitment to everything that went before merely is convenient; how many big-time Chicago talents will have roots in another city and a father whose embarrassing arrest makes “going away to school” perhaps seem more alluring?
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...kafor-cliff-alexander?iadid=Nav_Sport_NCAAB_1

Last edited:

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jalen Coleman moved his OV up to this weekend. Him and Elijah Thomas are here this weekend. It's UNLV most likely for Coleman, but Illinois has a shot. Things are looking very good with Thomas.