The Illini Basketball Thread

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
These back to back games (Michigan and Alabama) feel like the back to back Patriots and Packers games for the Bears.

Just hope the new blood shows us stuff next year, or else Groce has to be gone if he doesn't make the tourney next year.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I am sick of flopping in basketball. Could they call technicals on it next year?

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
This is hilarious. Can we get Bruce Weber back? And can we get Ron Zook back? Also is Ron Guenther available? In all seriousness though, there are a ton of coaches that Illinois could pursue and I'm sure we could get one of them:

Archie Miller
Bobby Hurley
Bryce Drew
Ben Jacobson
Gregg Marshall

And honestly, if Illinois can't lure one of these guys away, just close down the program.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
#FireGroce

Last night was an embarrassment.
If they didnt fire their football coach, they're likely not firing Groce.

The whole program is an embarrassment.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they didnt fire their football coach, they're likely not firing Groce.

The whole program is an embarrassment.

True statement. Groce is tone deaf. I liked him starting Black and letting the kid foul out and not coddling him. The Hill benching was idiotic. The timeout with 40 seconds left then not emptying his bench was embarrassing. Him screaming like an idiot with 15 seconds left to play about his guys needing to play defense was absurd. He's not coaching some MAC also ran anymore. He's coaching what should be a big time NCAA B1G 10 basketball team. Watching him coach is an embarrassment.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL just got permabanned from a U of I fan site because I told a guy who thought the Illinois basketball team exceeded expectations last season(he was actually trying to defend the job Groce had done) that if Illinois exceeding expectation involves them going four games under .500 in conference, finishing 8th and at one point losing 10 of 11 games they should shutter the program.

Sensitive mods are sensitive.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
LOL just got permabanned from a U of I fan site because I told a guy who thought the Illinois basketball team exceeded expectations last season(he was actually trying to defend the job Groce had done) that if Illinois exceeding expectation involves them going four games under .500 in conference, finishing 8th and at one point losing 10 of 11 games they should shutter the program.

Sensitive mods are sensitive.

People involved with Illini Athletics seem to embrace mediocrity for some reason. Winning is just a hard concept for them to wrap their heads around.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
The Scout Illini board is hilarious to watch right now. Full meltdown mode. You have a lot of folks who are begging to can Groce right now and then another segment of apologists who wish to see him stick around claiming he was dealt a bad hand this year. Those are likely the same folks that stuck by Bruce Almighty until the bitter end.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't think you can him now. While I see certain "tone deaf" behaviors in Groce (ref FT), I think you wait until he has a C that can actually catch the ball and play some O. Egwu didn't have to be schemed against. Paul and Finke will be much better in Groce' offense than Nnanna. Abrams should be back. JCL should get some minutes as a Fr and Hill will be playing at the 3 and not the 4. If Groce doesn't get to the Dance next season, he gone. I think that much would be clear even to the "apologists".

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Swear to God I would bust a nut if Illinois had the balls to can Groce and hire Gregg Marshall.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Charlotte transfer Mike Thorne committed to Illinois over Kansas, Kentucky, and Pittsburgh. There's our starting center for next year.

Austin Colbert is transferring.

Marcus LoVett put out his top list. Top 3 in order: St. Johns, Memphis, Illinois.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Charlotte transfer Mike Thorne committed to Illinois over Kansas, Kentucky, and Pittsburgh. There's our starting center for next year.

Austin Colbert is transferring.

Marcus LoVett put out his top list. Top 3 in order: St. Johns, Memphis, Illinois.

He averaged 10 PPG at Charlotte. Nice to beat out KU and UK for someone but I'm not exactly busting a nut here.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Another debbie downer post from JimJohnson. Shocking!

Joe Henricksen @joehoopsreport ·
Nabbing big man Mike Thorne from Charlotte as 5th year senior a huge get for John Groce and #Illini. Ready-made player at position of need

[video=youtube;Ana1znUBy9k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ana1znUBy9k[/video]