The Javy Baez Series

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
It's seems like this is one of those seminal moments where a young guy just blossoms on the national stage. There's been a lot of 'games' in Cubs history--Sandberg, Wood, etc.--but Javy Baez just had himself a whole series. He was absolutely electric, his defense almost superhuman at times. He's always been a prospect who was thought to have superstar potential, and now he's starting to live up to the billing. It's just plain old fun to watch him play baseball.

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
Easily the MVP of the NLDS. Drove in the winning run in 2 of the 3 wins. Played unbelievable defense. He is a superstar who is coming of age right in front of our eyes and its so much fun to watch. :)

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The last player I was with that kind of range and acrobatic ability was a shortstop that played for the Cardinals in the 80s. This guy could be a really special player. He seems to have learned how to hit in big game situations. He started the entire series. That is a big testament to how much the Maddon loves this guy. If he wasn't on this team we would be talking about next year instead of the NLCS.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So they're trading him next year right?

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Only if the Nats offer Scherzer.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The last player I was with that kind of range and acrobatic ability was a shortstop that played for the Cardinals in the 80s. This guy could be a really special player. He seems to have learned how to hit in big game situations. He started the entire series. That is a big testament to how much the Maddon loves this guy. If he wasn't on this team we would be talking about next year instead of the NLCS.

I was young then but I think Ozzie had more range not that Baez is bad. Keep in mind that Ozzie was playing on basically concrete so the ball moved a lot faster. Fun fact, part of the reason I'm no longer a cards fan(grew up in STL) is because young me was mad at the cards for playing Royce Clayton over Ozzie.... at age 40... yeah... I stand by that decision irrational as it may be. Ozzie was always my favorite as a kid and I'm glad now that i'm old I actually chose someone who's a legit good guy. Sandberg and Griffey Jr. sort of got me back into baseball post strike and that's sort of how I ended up cheering the cubs. Probably didn't hurt they were rivals of the team that didn't want tot play Ozzie anymore.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Remember when people thought I was crazy before the year for saying Baez was in the "untouchable" camp in regards to trades?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Even if they did I'd have to think about it pretty hard.

You have Zobrist for 3 more years, two are guaranteed no trade years. Schwarber and Soler, with Eloy Jiminez on the way, they will listen to offers, part of it will be not holding Javy back from a starting job elsewhere. There will be two or three major prospects coming back.

As far as short term, I think Javy will start at short a few games of this next series. Addy is in a hole and that not playing last years LCS is riding on him. This is especially if they want to get Soler in against Hill and Kershaw if they get the dodgers.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Personally, I remember there being a teaching point when Castro, Javy and Alcantara were catching the ball ahead of second base and trying to snap tag to get the runner trying to steal. The bitch was catch the ball at the base, you cannot get it there faster than the catcher is throwing it.

Guess they were wrong in terms of Javy.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So they're trading him next year right?

Even if they did I'd have to think about it pretty hard.

Only if the Nats offer Scherzer.

You have Zobrist for 3 more years, two are guaranteed no trade years. Schwarber and Soler, with Eloy Jiminez on the way, they will listen to offers, part of it will be not holding Javy back from a starting job elsewhere. There will be two or three major prospects coming back.

As far as short term, I think Javy will start at short a few games of this next series. Addy is in a hole and that not playing last years LCS is riding on him. This is especially if they want to get Soler in against Hill and Kershaw if they get the dodgers.

I know the first comment was sarcastic but holy hell, are we really doing this again this year? You have one of the most versatile/best fielding and hitting IF prospects in baseball on a team that values it's ability to be versatile and morph into whatever it wants and people are seriously entertaining the idea that the Cubs will trade Baez?!

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
Yeah you guys who want to trade Baez now are all high. The guy is 23 and already an elite level infielder and clutch hitter. His value is sky high so I guess I understand the rub but WTF would anyone want to break this team up?!!

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I think people are scarred from the lean rebuilding years. They need to know those days are past. This is our team now. It's ok to get attached :)

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Baez is my dude. Easily one of my top 4-5 players on the team. And of all of the main Cubs players, he's the only one I have seen play in person in AAA last year. And he went yard as well. Was bad ass.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

They aren't going to trade Baez just because he deserves to start somewhere. Baez has worked his way into the core. He can spell anyone in the infield and will likely push Zobrist to play more position so next year while Javy plays more than 50% at 2B.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The great ones show up in the playoffs. This year its cubs pitchers hitting, Baez and Bryant. Baez also hit last year in the playoffs with Soler. Its a great problem to have, we are all fine with Baez if Maddon finds a way to play him 145-150 games.

You cannot disregard the value Baez has right now for a team that wants an every day shortstop, but it definitely is not the time for this conversation. Sorry I fed that end of the topic. Lets just continue seeing him in these playoffs.

I do think he would get starts at short next series, but the problem is Zobrist is not making any of these plays at second. Definitely not stella. Its gonna be interesting.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
My only concern. How can he score a Gold Glove is Madden keeps playing him at a different position?