The Mike Glennon Conundrum

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'd see what he gives you this coming season with good weapons now. If he doesn't improve much then I'd worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I see. Already giving him the Cutler benefit of the doubt. Good to draft a QB at #2 that doesn't elevate the play of the teammates around him.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh I see. Already giving him the Cutler benefit of the doubt. Good to draft a QB at #2 that doesn't elevate the play of the teammates around him.
Sometimes things are more obvious than other times. There is no doubt the Eagles receivers were shit before and after. He certainly did enough to make you want to see how much better he can get anyway. As a rookie he struggled most against the top defenses which is to be expected. Now, with our good friend Alshon there to provide him with a real #1 and that horrid Agholar taken out of the equation, I'd expect a real good year and be disappointed if it was not.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Sometimes things are more obvious than other times. There is no doubt the Eagles receivers were shit before and after. He certainly did enough to make you want to see how much better he can get anyway. As a rookie he struggled most against the top defenses which is to be expected. Now, with our good friend Alshon there to provide him with a real #1 and that horrid Agholar taken out of the equation, I'd expect a real good year and be disappointed if it was not.

Get ready to be disappointed.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
I'd start MT day 1. This is not a Mahomes situation where you need to rebuild him the ground up. The biggest knock on Mitch is lack of starts.

Get him the game experience he needs. I'd rather him take his lumps and learn from mistakes year 1 then have him do so after a year on the bench. No matter how long you sit him he is going to have to adjust to playing at the NFL level.

Here's the flaw in that strategy; if Trubisky isn't ready, you're forcing him to play on what will probably be a bad team. Develop bad habits, put pressure on himself to perform, ruin confidence, etc.

For once, the Bears are doing the smart thing. Letting the kid sit. Telling everyone he's the future, but let's be patient. Meanwhile, Glennon starts.

I really don't see a downside here and hey, if Trubisky is ready and Glennon sucks, great! Or if, he's ready and Glennon is ready, even better!

Protecting your investment is a very smart strategy.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's the flaw in that strategy; if Trubisky isn't ready, you're forcing him to play on what will probably be a bad team. Develop bad habits, put pressure on himself to perform, ruin confidence, etc.

Protecting your investment is a very smart strategy.
It's a wonder these guys are paid millions when they are so mentally fragile.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
It's a wonder these guys are paid millions when they are so mentally fragile.

Has absolutely nothing to do with being mentally fragile. It's about setting your QB up for success. You know, how legit organizations do it?

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Has absolutely nothing to do with being mentally fragile. It's about setting your QB up for success. You know, how legit organizations do it?
So now you want us to wait til the Bears are a legit organization? The guy will never start.

HAVOCONE

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, no matter how you slice it, this team needs a QB. both glennon and trubisky have to show, who will run the team. neither of them has earned that spot yet. glennon was named starter, because we didn't have 1. i really don't wanna see trubisky thrown to the wolves, but we don't know, he may be able to handle it. we have seen what happens to many QB's thrown to the wolves. i just hope the kid can learn our system, and run it well. i also don't wanna see something happen to him, as did shaw last year, during preseason. they need to protect him and keep him whole, as long as possible. i really, truly hope trubisky can do well.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
So now you want us to wait til the Bears are a legit organization? The guy will never start.

Nice strawman. But I'll bite. No, I want the Bears to set this kid up for success. This year is a wash anyway with the goal that Glennon plays well enough to get a 1st Rounder for him.

That said, I think Trubisky will be ready sooner than people think. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him play this year. It's called adjusting expectations. Protecting the investment.

Need me to dumb that down for you even more?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I've seen this played out before. Shame on you peeps who don't see what's coming. Glennon was not brought in to win. We already know he can't do that. He is nothing more than a severely overpaid bridge. Trubisky is the new QB to be coddled. You'll see him start at some point this coming season and then for the next 3 or 4 years no matter how well he does or doesn't play. Let's just hope the long necked freak isn't a bridge to nowhere.

If the simply wanted a bridge then they would have signed Hoyer for cheaper. They obviously see something in Glennon but he is unproven enough that you don't give up on taking a QB at 3. I've been saying this the whole time when people were acting like having him means we don't go QB at 3 and so I am not sure why this confuses people.

We have 2 cracks at the finding a solution at QB. Trubisky is obviously the favorite but Glennon gets first crack and plays lights out then Trubisky can sit. He's used to it having sat for 3 years at UNC. Only silly fans like you would cry about it but if it ends up that Glennon is the real deal then it really doesn't matter to me if Trubisky ends up on an Aaron Rodgers type development plan.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nice strawman. But I'll bite. No, I want the Bears to set this kid up for success. This year is a wash anyway with the goal that Glennon plays well enough to get a 1st Rounder for him.

That said, I think Trubisky will be ready sooner than people think. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him play this year. It's called adjusting expectations. Protecting the investment.

Need me to dumb that down for you even more?
Fans like you suck. This year is a wash... that year was a wash... next year likely a wash... The time to change is now!!!!!!!

And where in the hell did Glennon becoming first round trade bait ever come from? Seen that a few times on this MB among all the other totally insane narratives being tossed around. You will never see Glennon traded for a 1st round pick. The sky will fall before that's even a remote possibility.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

It's a bit silly to expect that after 1 year. I don't think Wentz had a great rookie year but I certainly think he has done nothing to make one think he can't develop into a good QB. I think fans expect instant gratification too much when it comes to young QBs as they have been spoiled by Prescott or Wilson. I mean fuck Manning threw 28 interceptions as a rookie so by these lofty standards he would be ass.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Fans like you suck. This year is a wash... that year was a wash... next year likely a wash... The time to change is now!!!!!!!

And where in the hell did Glennon becoming first round trade bait ever come from? Seen that a few times on this MB among all the other totally insane narratives being tossed around. You will never see Glennon traded for a 1st round pick. The sky will fall before that's even a remote possibility.

Have you seen this roster? 2017 is a wash. Change what exactly?

You realize mediocre ass Sam Bradford got a 1st Rounder right? Teams get desperate and Glennon's on the cheap after this year. Is it likely? Probably not. Also not out of the realm of possibility.

If you can't understand that the Bears are under a rebuild, really don't know what to tell you.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Have you seen this roster? 2017 is a wash. Change what exactly?

You realize mediocre ass Sam Bradford got a 1st Rounder right? Teams get desperate and Glennon's on the cheap after this year. Is it likely? Probably not. Also not out of the realm of possibility.

If you can't understand that the Bears are under a rebuild, really don't know what to tell you.
Change the whole mentality of the Special person fanbase and demand more rather than give Pace 3 years to fuck around and do nothing but get fleeced for a QB prospect. The guy has been GM for 3 years and people on this MB act like he's great and putting something great together and then in the same breath say things like you just did, "have you seen the roster?" WTF

And Mike Glennon was never anything close to the prospect Bradford was. No matter how unimpressed with Bradford you were, there was always the chance 1 more desperate as fuck team would reach for him.

Do you want to know the truth? The Bears are not in a rebuild, they just don't have anybody with a clue in the FO. Rebuild? Rebuild? Ground zero was rebuilt faster than this.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Because Trubs hasn't played enough is why he should sit. I'd say he has to sit for AT LEAST the first 10-12 games. After that, would be good to get him some time out there. This could possibly be Plummer/Cutler situation, where Plummer didn't necessarily play badly, but Cutler was drafted for a reason. Same here. Glennon might be playing well, but he isn't the future. The guy would have to play completely out of his mind to hold off Mitch.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
there is a lot of stupid spin to try and prove a point here....

Bottom line is that to play the NFL QB position you need to learn terms, formations and tendencies. That is first done in a classroom with a playbook and coaches feeding you intelligence.

Trubisky had a lot of time to learn the college QB position before he actually played. The 13 games he started reflected well on his technique and decision making.

He did not play in a "pro style" offense at NC so it would stand to reason that an extended book learning time would do him well.....maybe he can get 90% on this offseason, but there really isn't a reason to throw him to the NFL wolves this year......raise your hand if you believe the Bears will have a realistic shot at the playoffs this year.

He may very well be ready for the NFL this year and that would be amazing, but if he has the extra time to learn an NFL playbook why not give it to him....

It doesn't mean he is weak; it means the Bears are trying to set him up for success.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Change the whole mentality of the Special person fanbase and demand more rather than give Pace 3 years to fuck around and do nothing but get fleeced for a QB prospect. The guy has been GM for 3 years and people on this MB act like he's great and putting something great together and then in the same breath say things like you just did, "have you seen the roster?" WTF

And Mike Glennon was never anything close to the prospect Bradford was. No matter how unimpressed with Bradford you were, there was always the chance 1 more desperate as fuck team would reach for him.

Do you want to know the truth? The Bears are not in a rebuild, they just don't have anybody with a clue in the FO. Rebuild? Rebuild? Ground zero was rebuilt faster than this.

Do you just say 'the truth' because it's in your avatar?

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
there is a lot of stupid spin to try and prove a point here....

Bottom line is that to play the NFL QB position you need to learn terms, formations and tendencies. That is first done in a classroom with a playbook and coaches feeding you intelligence.

Trubisky had a lot of time to learn the college QB position before he actually played. The 13 games he started reflected well on his technique and decision making.

He did not play in a "pro style" offense at NC so it would stand to reason that an extended book learning time would do him well.....maybe he can get 90% on this offseason, but there really isn't a reason to throw him to the NFL wolves this year......raise your hand if you believe the Bears will have a realistic shot at the playoffs this year.

He may very well be ready for the NFL this year and that would be amazing, but if he has the extra time to learn an NFL playbook why not give it to him....

It doesn't mean he is weak; it means the Bears are trying to set him up for success.

Get your sound logic out of here. You're one of those sucky fans.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the simply wanted a bridge then they would have signed Hoyer for cheaper. They obviously see something in Glennon but he is unproven enough that you don't give up on taking a QB at 3. I've been saying this the whole time when people were acting like having him means we don't go QB at 3 and so I am not sure why this confuses people.

We have 2 cracks at the finding a solution at QB. Trubisky is obviously the favorite but Glennon gets first crack and plays lights out then Trubisky can sit. He's used to it having sat for 3 years at UNC. Only silly fans like you would cry about it but if it ends up that Glennon is the real deal then it really doesn't matter to me if Trubisky ends up on an Aaron Rodgers type development plan.
Hoyer would have been the better choice, IMO. I don't believe for a second anyone at Halas Hall is thinking Glennon is going to star and be a great franchise QB. More likely they're thinking how many games can we get through with this guy before we start the Trubisky era?

I also think there is so much confusion about the Bears intentions cause Pace is making these head scratching deals. He's just a bad GM is all. I'd bet anyone that we won't see the playoffs til he's gone.