The Most Valuable Position in Sports

Lurk McGurk

Liked Posts:
One point where I am going to slightly disagree on the above statement is the Brady and Bucs Super Bowl.

The real reason why the Bucs won the Super Bowl with Brady had more to do with Brady's off the field than on the field activities.

Yes, he was extremely important with his play and especially taking over as unofficial OC, thereby getting to the Super Bowl.

However; Brady's pied piper act off the field, bringing in a lot of talent for free helping the Bucs fill in any of their potential holes with quality players, like Gronk, Suh, Fournette, McCoy, Perriman, Shaquil Barrett among others, was probably even more important to them winning the Super Bowl. The Bucs had a top 10 rushing defense the year before but then added playmakers both on offense and defense, having two very good WRs already.

Brady was extremely important to the Bucs Super Bowl win, but it was in a way that no other QB could do (perhaps Mahomes might do it if he won another 4 to 5 more Super Bowls and then moving onto another team). This wasn't something new to Brady though because he was very influential for players going to New England to chase a Super Bowl ring before.
I don't disagree with that at all. I am only saying that a HOF QB that had proven himself in the playoffs with a good or good+ defense is a VERY dangerous thing to face in the playoffs.

That is the formula: HOF QB + good defense = by far the best shot at a SB

The HOF QB part cannot be ignored as part of that formula. Teams should keep trying to find that QB (most do keep trying, hence all of the massive trades). You may get knocked out by another HOF QB with a good defense, but it's most likely going to be that formula that wins in the end.

Looking at my table again, out of those 31 Super Bowls, only 5 of those QBs went to less than FOUR pro bowls. One of those QBs was Stafford, a QB that the Rams made a huge trade for to win that SB. Another 2 of those QBs had ALL TIME great defenses (Bucs and Ravens). That leaves 2 seasons out of 31 where you have a mediocre QB win a SB, without a historic defense. I do not want the Bears to try and be the 3rd. I don't think that's the best approach.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It appears to me that the majority of Bears fans want to trade the Carolina pick and stick with Fields. The point that I'm trying to illustrate is that the most important thing a team can do is acquire an elite QB. If you don't have an elite QB, you shouldn't try to build a team around that QB, you should be trying to find a new QB. Maybe some fans think Fields will still become a perennial pro bowler, possibly a HOF QB. I do not.

If most fans are still thinking the pick should be traded, I think presenting this data is relevant and informative. This data suggests that you need HOF level of QB play to have a realistic shot at a SB win.

I'm emphasizing that to achieve what I assume is the goal, winning Super Bowls, you cannot settle at the QB position.
IDK the fanbase seems pretty evenly split at this time.

But i agree the Bears should try to get an elite QB. Very easy thing to do. I expect a Pat Mahomes level QB at the helm next season.

Lurk McGurk

Liked Posts:

But i agree the Bears should try to get an elite QB. Very easy thing to do. I expect a Pat Mahomes level QB at the helm next season.
Hard to do, but essential to try.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I don’t. After careful consideration of what many have posted, I now agree the Bears will never have an elite QB. In fact I think they should just eliminate the QB position entirely. Get the 10 biggest dudes possible and a beefy RB. Then tush push your way down the field. Ball control baby!!!

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don’t. After careful consideration of what many have posted, I now agree the Bears will never have an elite QB. In fact I think they should just eliminate the QB position entirely. Get the 10 biggest dudes possible and a beefy RB. Then tush push your way down the field. Ball control baby!!!
kind of a cringe try hard-y post, my guy.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You seem fun. (I'll be looking forward to the years of bitterness directed towards me now)
He is fun. (Most of the time). But sometimes he gets in these pissy moods and today looks to be one of them.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You seem fun. (I'll be looking forward to the years of bitterness directed towards me now)
I'll forget you by tmw. @DanielCCSBears did this thread recently so congrats on being in good company.

He is fun. (Most of the time). But sometimes he gets in these pissy moods and today looks to be one of them.
Who's being pissy? Some of you are too fragile to sarcasm. I laugh at these big brain threads where people act its groundbreaking news that elite QBs get you to the most Super Bowls.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'll forget you by tmw. @DanielCCSBears did this thread recently so congrats on being in good company.

Who's being pissy? Some of you are too fragile to sarcasm. I laugh at these big brain threads where people act its groundbreaking news that elite QBs get you to the most Super Bowls.

Big brane

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Maybe you're just overestimating people?

I thought it was a mixture of circumstances that got teams to superbowl wins but after reading this thread I'm convinced that elite QB play is more often than not, essential to winning in this sport. I've watched football for years but never really paid too much attention to Quarterbacks. That changes this Sunday. Maybe even tonight.

Lurk McGurk

Liked Posts:

So which is it? Too fragile to sarcasm? Or you "laugh at these big brain threads where people act its groundbreaking news that elite QBs get you to the most Super Bowls"? Is it possible people pick up on your condescending vibe? Nope, it's just that people are too fragile. Makes sense.

Hopefully you're not too fragile to handle what I said here.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
So which is it? Too fragile to sarcasm? Or you "laugh at these big brain threads where people act its groundbreaking news that elite QBs get you to the most Super Bowls"? Can't be both bud. Is it possible people pick up on your condescending vibe? Nope, it's just that people are too fragile. Makes sense.

Hopefully you're not too fragile to handle what I said here.
It absolutely can be both. Do you have aspergers?

Obvious statement presented as data driven revelation results in me laughing and then giving a sarcastic response. One is an emotional reaction, the other a response.

Maybe you should have stayed at lurk. (I'll be looking forward to the years of bitterness directed towards me now)

Lurk McGurk

Liked Posts:

Obvious statement presented as data driven revelation results in me laughing and then giving a sarcastic response. One is an emotional reaction, the other a response.

Maybe you should have stayed at lurk. (I'll be looking forward to the years of bitterness directed towards me now)
Yes. I lurked, and you've proven this is your MO. Primarily to avoid this kind of thing. I don't have time to go back and forth with people. Or even if I do, I don't want to spend my time on it.
Think about this, maybe it's not that people are too fragile to sarcasm. Maybe it's that you're condescending. Something to consider.
The lurking is over. Although I will not dedicate the hours of my life to getting into spats with people like some do. And there will probably be stretches of weeks or even months when I'm not on here. You can have the final word now, I'm sure you will want that.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Maybe you're just overestimating people?

I thought it was a mixture of circumstances that got teams to superbowl wins but after reading this thread I'm convinced that elite QB play is more often than not, essential to winning in this sport. I've watched football for years but never really paid too much attention to Quarterbacks. That changes this Sunday. Maybe even tonight.

This is definitely the evening to start paying attention to QB play.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Now your just being a jerk. Sorry, but the data is compelling. It really blows the concept wide open, removes any doubt that winning the biggest games is going to require really really good play from the qb position. Facts don't have feelings.