The progression of Jimmy Butler

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
chi_g_jimmy-butler_mb_400.jpg

With injuries ravaging the Bulls once again this season, most fans will agree that the ascension of Jimmy Butler is crucial to save the Bulls from a disastrous season. Kelly Scaletta of Bleacher Report wrote an interesting article dissecting Butler's injury-plagued season.

Read it here.

How would you guys assess Butler's season so far? What kind of results are you expecting during the second half of the season? Do you think Butler has the chops to become a star in the NBA? What's his ceiling? Star? Borderline All-Star? Quality rotation guy? Has he already peaked?

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
if anything hes regressed this year...hes too passive on offense, efficiency has dipped big time and he hasn't any notable defensive games....but no bulls have played all that well this year....noah is just now coming around

lol @ Rory Sparrow in you sig

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
if anything hes regressed this year...hes too passive on offense, efficiency has dipped big time and he hasn't any notable defensive games....but no bulls have played all that well this year....noah is just now coming around

lol @ Rory Sparrow in you sig

Well, he's been given more opportunities to score this year, so I honestly think naturally his shooting percentages are going to dip a bit. His efficiency ratings are similar to what he did last year, and I honestly think he's looked even better on defense. I just hope to God he isn't the next Bull to become injury plagued. I still can't believe that Carlos Boozer, of all guys, has been their iron man.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think he's regressed as well as from as from what we saw in last year's playoffs. Before Rose's injury they didnt seem to mesh well and it seemed Jimmy's best position was SF over SG. Perhaps they needed more time to mesh. We'll obviously never know on that (well, at least this year).

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Jimmy hasn't been consistent at all this season. Nagging injuries do that to a player.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Can't really complain, he's still turned out better, already at this point, than anyone thought he'd ever be.

DCguy

Liked Posts:
Jimmy started off slow but he was in and out of the lineup so that's expected. He seems to be coming around now.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Butler will be fine, he just needs minutes to get his rhythm with the starting line up. He's probably the best offensively player on the team right now, since he can score from anywhere on the court. He's quicker than Deng, shoots better than Rose, and is more athletic than Kirk.

nobull

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Butler will be fine, he just needs minutes to get his rhythm with the starting line up. He's probably the best offensively player on the team right now, since he can score from anywhere on the court. He's quicker than Deng, shoots better than Rose, and is more athletic than Kirk.

Are you on crack?
He is tremendous defender and good finisher. But Rose and Deng are better offensively.

Last edited:

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
IMHO, Jimmy Buckets is a SF, not a SG.

He proved during last season's playoffs that he can hold his own as our starting SF.

The Bringer

Beast Pro Legend
Liked Posts:
Tom Thibodeau needs to run plays for Butler, Augustin and Gibson consistently. Kirk needs to be moved to the bench our offense stalls when he dribbles for 18 seconds. Butlers shot has regressed a bit but that's due to him not yet getting his legs back under him imo.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Are you on crack?
He is tremendous defender and good finisher. But Rose and Deng are better offensively.

Who has a better jumpshot, Rose or Butler? Case closed.

This ain't 2011 bruh. Those days of Rose slashing to the basket without being double or triple teamed are over.

I'm telling you Butler has superstar potential if he gets minutes and Thibs believes in him.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Who has a better jumpshot, Rose or Butler? Case closed.

Rose

Jimmy had hot streak at the end of the year last season but his shot hasnt been all that good this year...i think Rose is a better shooter at this point

I'm telling you Butler has superstar potential if he gets minutes and Thibs believes in him.

lol no he doesn't...you're saying some outrageous stuff lately...Jimmy is a role player and maybe even a starter on championship team as 4th/5th option but thats it