The RB Depth Chart Discussion

CNiel36

Liked Posts:
I think Cunnigham is clearly better then Langford at this point. Unless Langford makes significant improvement, he's going to have a hard time making the team. Cunningham actually breaks tackles once in a while, he's good as a pass catcher and blocker, and he can return kicks. Not saying he's anything special but he should be a solid #2 behind Howard.

I agree he looked pretty bad last year. But I think we need to wait and see what happens in TC and preseason. Let them compete and see who can win the job. If Langford cant get it done, try to trade him for another player that is about to get cut or a late round draft pick (ala Jon Bostic trade).

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I think Lasike is gone because they will look to run 2 TE on rundowns rather than 2 backs. More versatile and less hand tipping than having a FB in the game.

I like Carey over Langford. At least Carey fights hard for every yard. Langford should be on the street.

At this point I would be surprised to see them carry a fullback. That said Freddie Stevenson could potentially be a kind of HB-FB hybrid, especially if he can show well on special teams.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Remember how long Senorise Perry and Harvey Unga stuck around forever on the roster? I'd hardly gloat because we have one good player (a la Matt Forte in the past, Howard now). I'd rather keep Carey (injury concerns aside) and I'd hazard to guess his ST play is why. I liked Langford his rookie season, but he was demonstrably terrible last year, with hands of stone; one touch tackles, etc. Might be time to let him catch on elsewhere, there seems to be good RBs cut every training camp. Benny Cunningham could be like Jacquizz, who in all honesty, played better for us than most realized.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
RB [4]

Jordan Howard
Jeremy Langford
Tarik Cohen
Benny Cunningham

Ka'Deem Carey
Paul Lasike

This is a deep group that offers some interesting skill sets to the Bears and based on the investment they made in the offseason I would expect that the RB is going to be more involved in the passing game than before. Howard is obviously the starter and one of the best picks the Bears have made in the last 10 years. Langford is a Pace pick and while he was not great last season in his rookie year he flashed the ability to make big plays and he has the speed that Howard does not. Cohen will be a change of pace back who plays 3rd downs and has designed plays for him, we will need to see if he is a liability in the pass protection before he gets a lot of time. I think Cunningham makes the team. He is a proven kick returner and he can catch the ball out of the backfield

Carey has had some flashes, but with the Bears apparently valuing the ability to catch out the backfield and speed I do not think Carey is going to fit the mold. The Bears did not use Lasike enough for me to think that a FB is in their plans and that they would keep one over keeping a TE who has way more upside.

:aj:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would be surprised if Langford was cut.

He is a Pace draft pick and Carey has been on the roster bubble for years.

My guess is Carey is in trouble as he does not catch the ball or have break away speed.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
RB [4]

Jordan Howard
Jeremy Langford
Tarik Cohen
Benny Cunningham

Ka'Deem Carey
Paul Lasike

This is a deep group that offers some interesting skill sets to the Bears and based on the investment they made in the offseason I would expect that the RB is going to be more involved in the passing game than before. Howard is obviously the starter and one of the best picks the Bears have made in the last 10 years. Langford is a Pace pick and while he was not great last season in his rookie year he flashed the ability to make big plays and he has the speed that Howard does not. Cohen will be a change of pace back who plays 3rd downs and has designed plays for him, we will need to see if he is a liability in the pass protection before he gets a lot of time. I think Cunningham makes the team. He is a proven kick returner and he can catch the ball out of the backfield

Carey has had some flashes, but with the Bears apparently valuing the ability to catch out the backfield and speed I do not think Carey is going to fit the mold. The Bears did not use Lasike enough for me to think that a FB is in their plans and that they would keep one over keeping a TE who has way more upside.

I like Carey over Langford, myself. Carey is more of a bruiser, like Howard, and Cohen and Cunningham more of cut and gone guys like Langford. I say the Bears keep two bruisers and two scat RB's. I also value Carey short yardage game much more than Langford's.

I'll tell you who I'm intrigued with is Freddie Stevenson. He reminds me a lot of Howard when he runs the ball, but is a tremendous blocking FB. He would look real good blocking for Howard in a more traditional power run game.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would be surprised if Langford was cut.

He is a Pace draft pick and Carey has been on the roster bubble for years.

My guess is Carey is in trouble as he does not catch the ball or have break away speed.

I would like to believe that Pace would know to cut his losses when wrong. But then again, people around here think that he makes decisions like drafting a quarterback to buy himself time on his contract. I think he has high integrity, maybe I am wrong.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Langford isn't gonna make this team

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I like how Carey runs and he plays special teams. I think people exaggerate when it comes to pass catching for running backs. Just because a running back doesn't get a lot of passes doesn't mean they can't catch. Some teams might have their starter run all the time and wait until they take a breather to dump it off. Adrian Peterson doesn't get a lot of passes thrown to him but I bet he can catch the ball if it's thrown to him. Langford has had some drops but some people say he is so much better than Carey. I haven't seen anything from Carey to think he can't catch. In limited chances to catch the ball he has averaged 10 yards per catch.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
I don't think Carey's body can hold up to his style of play. He is a very tough hard runner, but I feel like every time he starts to get in a rhythm he gets hurt. I also believe he has had a couple of concussions. The best ability is availability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parkway Drive

Liked Posts:
This positional group is one that actually has a lot of strength and potential for us.

1.) Jordan Howard. Duh. If our OL is as healthy or healthier than last year, I don't see any way this kid doesn't go for 1300 again assuming he is healthy for 15 contests.

Prediction= 1,402 yd, 4.7 ypc, 9 td
237 rec yd. 1 td

2.) Bennie Cunningham. Solid pass catcher, decent in pass pro. A more trusted returner than almost anyone on our roster. Cohen is a project that needs to add strength. If you look at Darren Sproles' career stats, he didn't make an impact until a couple years in.

Prediction= 277 yd, 3.8 ypc, 1 td
393 rec td. 2 td
25.9 kr avg, 1 td

3.) Kadeem Carey. This is one Pace and Fox will knock heads with. I think Pace would want to keep Langford bc Carey is an Emery pick and Fox apparently likes what's behind Carey's nipple.... Pace will likely acquiesce and throw Foxy a bone here bc Pace already won the power struggle imo but wants a quality working dynamic for this season, and at the end of the day it's the 3rd RB.

Prediction= 122 yds, 3.3 ypc, 1 td
79 rec yds, 0 td

4.) Tarik Cohen- aka mini Tyreek Hill.
Cohen might not contribute a lot this year, guys. But... there's no way you can hide the human joystick on the practice squad. He will absolutely get a reverse or 10, take a few kicks or punts back, and run a few angle routes out of the backfield.

Prediction= very limited action.
11/142/1 (rushing)
9/97/1 (receiving)
1 return td

5.) (FB) I think Freddie Stevenson makes the squad. Would be a good addition to the special teams unit and a young true FB that can get 40-50 touches and shoulder 10-15% of the short yardage load.

Five seems like a lot, and I'll concede this might be crazy to an extent. However, we are going to be a run first team, and while I'd like to only keep 4, Cuningham is a 3rd down RB and returner only, Cohen weighs about as much as I bench for a fucking warm up set and needs a year in a professional weight room, but is way too high ceiling of a prospect to not keep on the roster. You still need someone that could potentially be a battering ram should Howard go down. Stevenson I think adds to your ST and short yardage / grinding style you're likely to implement with captain check down and a rook at the helm. I Wish we could sign Blount and nix Carey and Langford altogether, but I think this is the final group.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Carey over Langford all day. He just can not read a hole and runs at full speed 100% of the time. If you could combine his athleticism with Howards vision and patience it would be Walter Payton.

Closer to Ced benson then #34.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
If you want to know where Carey stands with the team look no further than the fact they gave his number to Cooper.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Remember how long Senorise Perry and Harvey Unga stuck around forever on the roster? I'd hardly gloat because we have one good player (a la Matt Forte in the past, Howard now). I'd rather keep Carey (injury concerns aside) and I'd hazard to guess his ST play is why. I liked Langford his rookie season, but he was demonstrably terrible last year, with hands of stone; one touch tackles, etc. Might be time to let him catch on elsewhere, there seems to be good RBs cut every training camp. Benny Cunningham could be like Jacquizz, who in all honesty, played better for us than most realized.

They will keep Cohen for his versatility and my guess is that Carey will also get a spot because of his versatility on ST and short yardage ability. If they keep four backs, then I'd say Cunningham will probably be the guy.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I really don't like any of the backups at the moment. (Will wait and see on the rook) This team is royally fucked if Howard goes down.

Yeah. They really do not have another work horse kind of back on the roster. I do like Cunningham's potential, though.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Cohen is a big head scratcher for me. He has more chance of being a Wolfe than a Sproles.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like how Carey runs and he plays special teams. I think people exaggerate when it comes to pass catching for running backs. Just because a running back doesn't get a lot of passes doesn't mean they can't catch. Some teams might have their starter run all the time and wait until they take a breather to dump it off. Adrian Peterson doesn't get a lot of passes thrown to him but I bet he can catch the ball if it's thrown to him. Langford has had some drops but some people say he is so much better than Carey. I haven't seen anything from Carey to think he can't catch. In limited chances to catch the ball he has averaged 10 yards per catch.

I agree about Carey. It is true that he really hadn't had a lot of opportunities to catch the ball.