The Rumor Season Begins

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Rumor Season Begins

Here’s the latest to the start of the Hot Stove season:

* According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Cubs will be players in the Prince Fielder sweepstakes. The report also mentions that the Angels and the Rangers could have interest in the slugging 1st baseman too. It says the Cubs will be willing to offer 20 million or a little more a year, but won’t go too high in years. Especially 7-8 years. The AL could have a better chance landing Fielder because they could move him to DH when he gets up there in age. NBC sports also mentioned the Cubs as the team landing Fielder.

* Expect Kerry Wood to return in 2012, as a player or a coach. Kerry Wood had a 10 minute conversation with Theo Epstein down in the clubhouse. Both are prepare to meet again sometime soon. Wood said the bullpen is not a big need and doesn’t know what will happen. If the price is right, expect Wood to be apart of the bullpen in 2012.

* The Blue Jays reportedly inquire on the availability of pitcher Matt Garza. It’s not known if the Cubs listen or not, but why not…see what they will offer. But if your the Cubs, the offer will have to blow you away. I don’t see a trade happening and that makes sense.

* Also, the Cubs have scouted 25-year old Yu Darvish and 30 year old Tsuyoshi Wada. Both are Japanese pitchers. We have heard of Yu Darvish as it make sense. Darvish has been a stand out in Japan. He’s posted a 93-38 record and had a 1.99 earn run average with 1259 strikeouts. The Yanks have been a team with the most connection to Darvish. Who’s surprise? Probably no one. Wada has not been talked about much, but he will soon. Wada is a lefty and posted a 91-56 record with a 3.37 earn run average. I would be fine with the Cubs signing either picher, but don’t overpay and/or get into a bidding war. For example, with the New Yor Yankees…nothing good will come from that.

Video of Yu Darvish
Video of Tsuyoshi Wada

* Bruce Levine says the Cubs will not trade Marlon Byrd this off-season. He would be a good 4th outfielder. Yes, Byrd would be a good 4th outfielder. But not for 6.5 million, maybe a few million. I would try to trade him and save as much money as possible.

* The Cubs might go after Prince Fielder, but he may not want to come to Chicago, according to Bruce Levine. I don’t see why he wouldn’t..

* It’s very unlikely that the Cubs will pursue pitchers CJ Wilson and Roy Oswalt. I’m not surprise…

* The Cubs could pursue OF Nick Markakis of the Baltimore Orioles. He’s expected to be available and wouldn’t be a bad option. However, that contract isn’t too friendly. Markakis makes 12 million in 2012, 15 million in 2013, 15 million in 2014 and has a 17.5 million club option with a 2 million buyout in 2015. The only way I would see a trade happening if the O’s take on money (would receive better ‘spects) or the Cubs send a bad contract in return. If the rumors did heat up, let’s just hope it won’t be a Brian Roberts news story from a couple years back.

* The A’s reportedly are willing to trade anybody on their team besides Jemile Weeks and there are pitchers the Cubs should look into.

Other notes:

* The Cubs will interview Brewers’ hitting coach Dale Sveum on Monday.

* After that the Cubs will interview Rangers’ pitching coach Mike Maddux sometime next week.

* The Boston Red Sox will interview Mike Maddux on Tuesday and Sandy Alomar Jr. on Wednesday.

* The Cubs have Sandy Alomar Jr. on their list of candidates, but have not receive permission to interview Alomar yet.

* The Cubs scouting department keeps on getting better as they signed Joe Bohringer to be their New Director of Professional Scouting. Jim Callis of Baseball America chimed in and said “another terrific hire”. Now the Cubs are taking the Philadelphia Eagles word ‘Dream Team’, but using it in the phase of the ‘Dream front Office’.

The rumor/hot stove season has just begun. Keep you ears open and it should be a fun off-season.

Last edited by a moderator:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fielder signing would be huge! I think Cubs go hard after him and get 2 SP that are mid level. Pointless to keep Byrd as 4th OF making 6.5 mil. Get something for him!

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fielder is the number one free agent I want this offseason regardless of whether this team is gonna build fast or slow.

I wouldn't trade Garza for anything that wasn't spectacular.

Could you guys see the Cubs going after a veteran starter like Chen or Garland?

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
fielder and darvish would be great(darvish supposedly has very "american" mechanics)

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Darvish is a beast, I've wanted him for a while now.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Fielder is the number one free agent I want this offseason regardless of whether this team is gonna build fast or slow.

I wouldn't trade Garza for anything that wasn't spectacular.

Could you guys see the Cubs going after a veteran starter like Chen or Garland?

I do see the Cubs signing a veteran pitccher. I don't know if it'll be Chen or Garland, but I do see a vet pitcher being signed. MLBTR had Pineiro. Bedard could be on that too.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Where are you getting that Wada information? The only site I've seen it on (I did a Google search) is that POS site called HotStoveCubbies. Were you finding this from there or somewhere more reliable?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Alright, that's better.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I forgot to mention it, but it looks like there's a good shot Jeff Samardzija will be a starter in '12. UGh...per Levine.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
I can see them signing a pitcher like Harang or Duchsherer...maybe Kuroda or Kazmir.

Northside_slugger

Liked Posts:
Alright, that's better.

It is? I love baseball hotstove as much as anyone but ideas thrown against a wall with hopes of sticking is not what i call hotstove talk. Let's try to stick to real, legit rumors, reported by mainstream media.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is? I love baseball hotstove as much as anyone but ideas thrown against a wall with hopes of sticking is not what i call hotstove talk. Let's try to stick to real, legit rumors, reported by mainstream media.

:lol:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

I was saying that Bleacher Nation >>>>>> Hot Stove Cubbies.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hot Stove Cubbies = Hot shit Cubbies.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Kerry Wood as pitching coach maybe if he doesnt come back to pitch?