The Ship Be Sinkin'

Liked Posts:
The time has come for Chicago to clean house and start all over again.

Picture it.

Phoenix. February 1988.

The Suns were an absolute mess. Cotton Fitzsimmons takes a LOT of heat for trading fan-favorite Larry Nance, Mike Sanders and a 1st rounder to Cleveland for little-known point guard Kevin Johnson and unknowns Tyrone Corbin, Mark West and 3 picks (one of those picks became Dan Majerle).

But it worked because the truth was, the Suns were going nowhere with the group they had year in, year out and trading Nance was the first major step in that team becoming relevant again.

Picture it.

Dallas. 1997.

Nearly a decade later, fresh off his New York pink slip Don Nelson comes into Dallas and purges the locker room of the cancers of that team.

Nellie takes a LOT of heat for dealing Sam Cassell, Chris Gatling, Jim Jackson, George McCloud and Eric Montross to the Nets for Shawn Bradley, Ed O'Bannon, Robert Pack and Khalid Reeves.

Just as it worked for Phoenix a decade earlier so it worked for Dallas. The cold hard truth was, the Mavericks were going nowhere with Cassell and Gatling and Jimmy Jackson and George McCloud and everyone else they had. His was the first major step in Dallas becoming relevant again and only a few years later they were the most entertaining team to watch in all of basketball.

At the time both of these trades looked certifiably insane on every level. Larry Nance for a bunch of nobodies? Four starters and Montross for only 4 medicore players (time won't permit me to explain the Suns-Knicks trade that sent Marbury AND Penny Hardaway to new York for a package that starred Antonio McDyess)?

Once most of those guys' contracts expired the team was in position to start all over again and they recovered.

We may not be able to trade them all in one deal but there has to be a way to trade Kirk Hinrich, Tyrus Thomas, John Salmons, Luol Deng and Brad Miller for expiring contracts like T-Mac and Luis Scola and a ton of draft picks.

When the Larry Nance experiment wasn't working and the Suns were mediocre every year trading him worked measures.

When the 3 J's was a colossal disappointment the Mavericks rid themselves of each of them, including every other player who was a deterrent to success in a years time.

When the Stephon Marbury, Penny Hardaway, Tom Gugliotta experiment failed in Phoenix they cleaned house and the very next year the Suns were a title contender for years.

I'm sick and tired of the pathetic mediocre Chicago Bulls.

If we're serious about ever being contenders again it all starts with a phone call, an insane trade offer and an agreement.

It's time to trade Mr. Hinrich, trade Mr. Thomas, trade Mr. Salmons, trade Mr. Deng and trade Mr. Miller (not to mention, get Jerome James out of town as well).

It's time to clean house, ladies and gentlemen.

So what do you say? Are we gonna call Niecy Nash or not?

http://www.mystyle.com/mystyle/shows/cleanhouse/index.jsp

Liked Posts:
If we have to I wouldn't mind trading Rose or Noah either. If it means becoming relevant and consistent I say there isn't an untouchable on this team.

If we want a squad it's going to take sacrifice.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Frank Breakfast-Styleham wrote:
If we have to I wouldn't mind trading Rose or Noah either. If it means becoming relevant and consistent I say there isn't an untouchable on this team.

I think having kept Ben Gordon, and trading guys like Rose/Noah/Thomas for win now talent (ala the Celtics a few years ago) would have been the best strategy for becoming a championship contender. Too late for that now though.

If we get a top draft pick, I think we might want to look at signing a max free agent (Chris Bosh, Joe Johnson, etc.) and then packaging Rose with a longer contract guy, and trading the draft pick with a higher contract guy (aka Hinrich/Deng) for win now talent, ala Boston Celtics.

Then I guess you would have Pargo, Gibson, and Noah as current role players, but I'm sure we could get some solid vets in here on the vets minimum.

Liked Posts:
Firing Del Negro resolves nothing. It doesn't matter who we bring in to replace him - if we continue going with the same nucleus we currently have we will only see the same old...same old...same old.

Does anyone really think in his right mind that John Salmons and Luol Deng are going to take us to the promised land?

I say we deal as many of them as we can for expiring contracts and draft picks, even if it's only 2 or 3 main guys.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
Frank Breakfast-Styleham wrote:

I think having kept Ben Gordon, and trading guys like Rose/Noah/Thomas for win now talent (ala the Celtics a few years ago) would have been the best strategy for becoming a championship contender. Too late for that now though.

If we get a top draft pick, I think we might want to look at signing a max free agent (Chris Bosh, Joe Johnson, etc.) and then packaging Rose with a longer contract guy, and trading the draft pick with a higher contract guy (aka Hinrich/Deng) for win now talent, ala Boston Celtics.

Then I guess you would have Pargo, Gibson, and Noah as current role players, but I'm sure we could get some solid vets in here on the vets minimum.

The bulls aren't willing to pay for a team like the Celtics. The Celtics pay the LT and the bulls just don't have that level of commitment. Plus, we aren't trading Rose, its just not going to happen. And part of the reason the Celtics remain so unbeatable is because they still kept some home grown young talent around, they didn't trade everyone good.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
I completely agree with the premise of this thread and think a major rebuild is needed. I would love to start over around Rose and Noah and look for a pf and wing scorers in the draft and subsequent fa. But I don't think management is committed to something like that. They feel with a fa they can insure mediocrity for years and not have to go through the effort and commitment needed to rebuild the right way.

And why would they with a stadium that is continually sold out. They also have cap buster deals that make the team more profitable like kirks declining deal or Deng's heavily deferred contract. I just can't see them getting rid of their good guys to rebuild but I agree they really need too. They just don't have the talent to compete and I don't think anyone outside of Bron would fix that well enough to be a top 4 team in the east.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
The problem with the Bulls trying the Celtics model:

a) Gordon is not Pierce.
b) There doesn't appear to be the older long suffering superstar like KG about to come on the market at the moment.
c) If we trade Rose and Noah for the pieces who is our Rondo? I don't see Gibson or Johnson really stepping up and becoming genuine starters on a champion team anytime soon.

I can't see trying for that model doing much other than landing us in long term contract hell.

I do expect a rebuild though. I don't know why the lack of faith in it happening, we're pretty much on the right track to do it: we've already dumped Gordon, Noc, Hughes, Gooden and Thabo, only Deng, Kirk and Tyrus to go. Tyrus is almost certainly gone at year end, so that would only leave Noah, Kirk and Deng of the pre-Rose team. If we dump at least one of Kirk or Deng I think that would qualify as having started a rebuild. When you get the #1 pick I think it's fair to give the team a couple of years to dump the existing pieces and start rebuilding the roster.

Liked Posts:
We don't necessarily have to trade for players like Garnett and Allen. I say we do what Phoenix and Dallas did and just dump our best players for a bag of basketballs and some picks and then get rid of most of the "basketballs" in the bag when their contracts run out.

Everytime I've seen it done it works.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
Getting picks wont be easy in a world where the salary cap is shrinking, if you can just dump them for expirings it's probably as much as you can hope for.